Recommendation? First Chris Reeve

Hey Guys,

I am close to pulling the trigger on my first CRK, and wanted to get some advice from you guys with more experience than I. My current EDC in a benchmade 940, which I think its a pretty good size for EDC. Initially I wanted to get an Inkosi because what I read about the smoother action compared to the 21. Then I thought I would get the traditional 21 since it would be my first. Then I started debated large vs. small and finally insingo vs. drop point.

Questions for a 1st time CRK buyer

1) Inkosi vs. 21?
2) Lg vs. Small? Considering the 940 is my current EDC and I am happy with the size
3) Drop point vs Insingo

Thanks for the advice guys! I wish I had access the these knives locally, would make this alot easier !

Those are nearly impossible to answer questions that I think most go through ... I know I did ... still do sometimes ...

So instead of suggesting which one to buy I'll try to share just my own experiences ...

I think the 21 is as smooth to open as the Inkosi ... the Inkosi is an improvement over the 25 with the slight change in clip position but my 21s are as smooth as my Inkosi ... just your preferences for washers or ceramic ball ... and the finger grooves on the Inkosi or the 21 without ...both are comfortable to me with a slightly larger then average hand ...

the 940 is a thin but fairly long knife ... the small is sufficient for me to use but noticably smaller and for my hand I prefer the large ... the 940 I believe if you look at measurements it is somewhere between the large and small Sebenza .... but closer to the large ... so I'd give slight edge to the large when compared to the 940 ...

And as far as Insingo vs Drop Point ... my first two Sebenzas were Insingos and I love the blade shape ... it penetrates much better then you may think by the look of it ... the Drop Point naturally has that fine tip if that's something you need or use alot ... but if you like your 940 real well then a natural transition would be the Insingo ... and I think the Insingo style is as useful as any blade shape unless you're just stabbing things alot.

So I would go with the one that you like most ... you can't make a wrong choice ... and chances are once you try one CRK ... most likely it won't be your last.

The 940 is closer to a large 21. The 21 will be slightly bigger than the 940. Depending on your preferences, it may be too large.
The large 21 blade is almost 3.7", the small 21 is 3", the 940 is 3.4". Naturally, the longer blade of the 21 supports a frame that will hold it, making it bigger than the 940. Personally, I prefer the large, but that's just me.
It's just a matter of choice between a drop point or Insingo. There's a lot of love for the Insigno style from people. I think both will perform well. Since it's your first CRK, the 21 gets my vote because it may open up a gateway for other CRK's or you may not like it at all.

I'd recommend you choose the Sebenza 21 large drop point. Get one off of the exchange here for around $300. I am still carrying the first one I bought, going on 10 years now. I have 5 of them, all 21's, large and small, plain Jane and woodies, drop point and Wharncliffe. They're an amazing knife and second to none in quality of materials and craftsmanship. For me, the geometry of the thumb stud to the pivot is the most natural movement of any stud opener I've ever handled. Should you find it isn't for you, you could sell on the exchange and only have spent shipping dollars.

1) 21, because of the pivot bushing.

2) Small, because if you ever find it's not enough you can trade up. If you start big you might never realize that a smaller knife fits your needs better. Took me years to realize That.

3) Drop point, because I find the blades performance to be equal but much prefer the way the drop point sits in the closed position.

After giving considerable pocket time to almost every crk variation I think the small 21 drop point is the goldilocks. I like it plain jane, with a carbon scale, or with micarta inlays. Damascus or s35vn.

First answer the most important question, large or small.

What do you like about the 940? One of my favorite things about the 940 is how unobtrusive it is in the pocket, while still being ample for most cutting tasks.

If that is what you are looking for in a CRK, go small. IMO the small 21 is amazing in that regard.

If you want a knife that’s more substantial than the 940 in feel and size, go large.

With regards to blade shape and Inkosi vs 21, I don’t think you can go terribly wrong, though I’ve been favoring drop points lately.

Last edited:
I have one inkosi and two 21’s and the Sebenzas are tons smoother that the Inkosi. Not that the inkosi is not smooth but the two 21’s are like on bearings.

As for blade shape, I like them both equally. One for looks (drop point) and the other for utility.

As for size I have never held a small. Always afraid they would be too small and no way to check one out before buying.

If you decide small plain insingo 21 good luck finding one. I can’t find one in stock anywhere.

I just pulled the trigger today on a large inkosi insingo with natural micarta. Good luck making your choice...

I waited for a looooong time before finally making my decision. The first CRK purchase for me was a big deal and I understand that the decision is a big one. And, as others have said, there are no wrong answers, so all I can do is share my own experiences.

My first was a small 21 Plain jane with a drop point blade. I loved this knife. I felt that for the size it was capable of almost everything I needed, though if anything I would have liked it a little bigger.

Next was a 25. I love this knife. Still own it. Appreciate the size. Perfect for me. I also prefer the ceramic ball interface and finger grooves.

Also bought and sold a small inkosi which I found to be absolutely too small for me and sold it. But again, this is subjective.

I’ll skip my Large 21 Micarta Tanto (my favorite) since it’s off topic from your question.

Finally I bought a large 21 Insingo.

If I had to rate my blade shape preferences I’d say Tanto, Insingo and then drop point. So in your case I’d recommend Insingo.

For size I’d say large, 100%. Many people swear by smalls and I can totally respect that, but for me the versatility in handle positions that you get with a large paired with a great amount of blade length make this a no brainer.

As for 21 vs inkosi...that’s rough. I don’t feel tht one is necessarily smoother than the other. The 21 is simpler to take down and reassemble...though I do like the finger grooves and the ceramic lock bar interface a lot, but my 21 Insingo is also a terrific knife, so I really don’t think you could go wrong here. And by that I mean that literally either choice will make you really happy.

Let us know what you choose!

1) 21, because of the pivot bushing.

2) Small, because if you ever find it's not enough you can trade up. If you start big you might never realize that a smaller knife fits your needs better. Took me years to realize That.

3) Drop point, because I find the blades performance to be equal but much prefer the way the drop point sits in the closed position.

After giving considerable pocket time to almost every crk variation I think the small 21 drop point is the goldilocks. I like it plain jane, with a carbon scale, or with micarta inlays. Damascus or s35vn.

You sir took the words right out of my mouth..

100% agreed. :cool::thumbsup:

I still think the 940 is one of the greatest folding knives of all time. Some may disagree but it held up to many years of some serious heavy carry and never once failed me. I say this only because I pulled the trigger on a CRK and have carried nothing else since. And probably never will again. Either one you end up choosing, doesn't matter much, it won't be your last hahaha.

That was my first as well and sitting at work flicking it right now. You will love it. And about to buy another if I can ever make up my friggin mind.

UPDATE: I did purchase a large sebenza 21 drop point with black micarta. Should be here tomorrow, I am quite excited!

Outstanding, we’re expecting pics and first impression thoughts.

UPDATE: I did purchase a large sebenza 21 drop point with black micarta. Should be here tomorrow, I am quite excited!
That's an excellent choice. The 21 is the gold standard for the Sebenza with its bushing pivot. Not to take anything away from the 25 or Inkosi, but they're subsequent models and you might as well start at the beginning. The same goes for blade shape, as the drop point is the original. My preference is large all the way, though my issue isn't with the blade length--I just can't get a good grip on the small handle. My first CRKs were inlayed, and while I like the Plain Janes ok, you can get a much better grip on the inlays. Love Micarta too.

I've branched out from my first small and large inlayed 21 drop points and now have quite a few variations including Insingo, 25s, Plain Jane, Wilson Combat Starbursts, KnifeArt CF, Inkosi, wood, and Micarta. You've started out in a good place, but if you're like most of us you've got a journey ahead of you through CRK-land. Enjoy the ride.

Last edited:
Hey Guys,

I am close to pulling the trigger on my first CRK, and wanted to get some advice from you guys with more experience than I. My current EDC in a benchmade 940, which I think its a pretty good size for EDC. Initially I wanted to get an Inkosi because what I read about the smoother action compared to the 21. Then I thought I would get the traditional 21 since it would be my first. Then I started debated large vs. small and finally insingo vs. drop point.

Questions for a 1st time CRK buyer

1) Inkosi vs. 21?
2) Lg vs. Small? Considering the 940 is my current EDC and I am happy with the size
3) Drop point vs Insingo

Thanks for the advice guys! I wish I had access the these knives locally, would make this alot easier !

I personally found the small Inkosi to be too small for my hand. At the same time the small 21 fits my hand perfectly, so just be aware of the size difference.

When it comes to the larges the size difference between the inkosi and 21!are negligable. You would be happy with either one. The inkosi is abit thicker. Inlays also increase width.

Personally I prefer drop point to insingo. I find the tip on the insingo WAY too paper thin. Since the tip is at the edge at the bottom of the grind it doesn’t benefit from spine thickness. My next crk will probably be a tanto.

I will say that of the CRKs i own i find the small 21 to be cllsest to fhe 940 in terms of its role. The blade is shorter but they are similar in that they ars both lightweight a joy to carry and cut way above their weight.

21 for ease of maintenance, only a 5/64" hex driver is required for dismantling/installation. The best variant would be the one that comes with micarta handle inserts and double thumbstuds. As for blade style, its a matter of personal taste. I for one much prefer the drop point due to it being a hollow grind.

Back