Recommendation? First CRK. Looking for advice

Hey Guys,

Looking to pull the trigger on my first CRK and wanted to validate and discuss some things with you.
In Australia we are quite limited to trialling these blades, we only have 1 online stockist that I know of and reselling means taking quite a big hit. I want to get it right the first time.

I'm currently 83% decided on a Large Inkosi Drop point plain.
The small seems too small on paper. Going off my ZT 0450 specs which fits perfectly in my hand for handle length I wouldn't want anything smaller.
I can see the Small Sebenza is a little bigger then the Inkosi but still feel it might be cutting it too fine. I'd imagine a Medium size would be perfect. I'm guessing this has been discussed before.

I love the simplicity and reduced cost of the plain model. I also much prefer the look and function of a classic drop point given I have used this blade shape for decades so would prefer to stick with this. I like the idea of the double lug as I am ambidextrous and would 100% be opening it with both hands.

I just wanted to share my thoughts I am fully open to suggestions and comments from people who may have been in similar situation.

I know some people may tell me to try both but it's a very costly endeavour and I may eventually end up having to try both a large and small but would really like some input on other peoples decisions.

Much appreciate any help you guys can offer.

Cheers

Joel

Large all the way. The Inkosi is a great knife too. Have mine on me today.

I happened to have these three readily available for quick comparison pictures. The ZT0450 is one of my all time favorites, and I generally only carry Small versions of the Inkosi and Sebenza. You can see them lined up here. The CRKs feel a tad more “filling” in my hand only because the 0450 is so slim, but length-wise the Small CRKs might not meet your requirements.

If the 0450 is the smallest you’re willing to go, I think the Large Inkosi might be your best bet.

Good choice. Have you considered the micarta, for that extra grip?

Reactions: Mo2
I can't Thank everyone enough for their responses so far.
I just realised I havn't posted on here in 2 years. I'm currently looking into which membership to go with the support here is unreal!

Here's something that might help realize the sizing. The small Inkosi is a small knife. An Insingo blade will make it feel larger but doesn't change the handles.

I didn't realise how big the Impinda was wow. Thankyou for that pic thats awesome!

I believe your instinct is correct. A large drop point inkosi is an excellent choice.

Large all the way. The Inkosi is a great knife too. Have mine on me today.

Thanks guys reading this put big smile on my face haha!

I happened to have these three readily available for quick comparison pictures. The ZT0450 is one of my all time favorites, and I generally only carry Small versions of the Inkosi and Sebenza. You can see them lined up here. The CRKs feel a tad more “filling” in my hand only because the 0450 is so slim, but length-wise the Small CRKs might not meet your requirements.

If the 0450 is the smallest you’re willing to go, I think the Large Inkosi might be your best bet.

Thankyou soo much for those pics. Can definitely use these with the 0450 for reference. The 0450 is my current favourite it's fantastic!

Gonna stare at these pics for a while like a piece of artwork and have a think.

Cheers

Good choice. Have you considered the micarta, for that extra grip?

I have read many a post recommending it and seen it is highly preferred. I like the reduced cost without the micarta and I most certainly prefer the look of the plain jane.
As for function I do feel it would hold many positives over the plain model however my favourite EDC is the ZT0450 and I love the bare hand feel on the titanium.
I'd give anything to try them all in a shop.

I would go with the large Inkosi or Sebenza 21. I have both and usually end up with the Large 21 in my pocket most days. I have tried the small Insingo and the small 21 multiple times, but find I overwhelmingly prefer the large versions more. Good luck! Post pictures when you get the knife.

as a bonus. You may be able(think you can) to get washers sent for that. On the Sebenza the knife would need to go to CRK
Seems like a good choice for you

Go for the Large Inkosi!
I want one to round out my modest CRK accumulation too!

We all know that tastes vary - different strokes, and all that - but I'll give you MY thoughts on CRK, as it relates to my personal experiences with the brand. One point to consider when reading what follows (this may impact the value to you of my opinions) - I disliked the 0450 when I handled it at a knife shop.
My first CRK experience: I handled a friend's (small) sebenza...I wasn't crazy about the shape of the scales, and thought it was too small. This was right around the time of the switch from ATS34 to BG42.
Many years later, I decided to give the brand another try. (I'll keep the rest of this brief)
- Large PJ 21: disliked it, largely based on the way it felt in hand. Nothing bad about it... no discomfort or hot spots... but nothing particularly right about it, either. (sold it)
- Large 21 micarta: liked it better than the PJ by a large margin...but still not really a fan (sold it)
- Large 21 wood: basically as above (kept it - but only because it's snakewood)
- Large inkosi micarta: handle is a much better fit in my hand. I like & carry it (kept it)
- Small 21 WC: the 21 shape is better in a smaller package. I like & carry it (kept it)

Hey Gang,

Just wanted to say Thankyou for all the help.
My order is in! Large Drop Point Plain Inkosi.
I was second guessing myself all night and was still contemplating a Small Sebenza.
But went with the gut instinct. I feel they really do need a Medium sized Inkosi. Something around the 3.2-3.4" blade length.
I do see myself trying the Small Seb in the future. It's only a matter of time (and $).

I'm up for a 4-8 week wait unfortunately.

For my uses I've grown to prefer the small, and the inkosi over the sebenza... though I preferred the old bushing pivot hehe. I like drop point for looks. I found the insingo was so simple to sharpen and great to use, but the DP doesn't suffer and I like the looks better.

Though I've recently picked up an Impinda and love it also.

Hey Gang,

Just wanted to say Thankyou for all the help.
My order is in! Large Drop Point Plain Inkosi.
I was second guessing myself all night and was still contemplating a Small Sebenza.
But went with the gut instinct. I feel they really do need a Medium sized Inkosi. Something around the 3.2-3.4" blade length.
I do see myself trying the Small Seb in the future. It's only a matter of time (and $).

I'm up for a 4-8 week wait unfortunately.

Solid choice!
Let us know how you like it!

Back