First Knife for a 10 year old

I am getting a green light to give my 10 year old nephew his first knife for Christmas this year. (I have wanted to do this for a while but I have respected his parents concerns that he was not ready until now.)

Based on my own biases and other factors I am looking at a small fixed blade with a blade of 3" or less and I want to stay at or below $50 price point.

Any suggestions?

I am looking at the Bark River Micro Canadian partially because it makes me drool and I believe it would fit a 10 year olds hand well.

I bought my oldest daughter a SAK huntsman with her name engraved for her birthday a few years ago. I think that makes a good knife for a 10 year old. A fixed blade is a little much for someone that young, in my opinion that is. A folder can do everything a 10 year old needs.

A fixed blade would be a good choice if the family often goes out camping or so and the kid gets to use the knife, otherwise I feel a small folder would be a better choice.

For a first fixed blade I suggest the small Buck Diamondback, not fancy or expensive, but solid and fits small hands.

I think everybody should have a SAK, I have given the Victorinox Recruit as a first knife present to young people, boys and girls.

Another choice would be a small lockback if you worry about the non locking blades in the SAK, in this case I would suggest something good yet simple such as the Gerber LST.

You could be sneaky about it and ask him indirectly what he likes. Next time you see him take some pics of the knives you have in mind and tell him that you are considering getting them for yourself and what he thinks of your choices. ;)

There is nothing worse for a kid to have his heart set on certain model only to open the box to find something else. "Uh... gee Uncle... thanks a whole bunch. Yeah it's just the one I was thinking about" :rolleyes:

Good luck!

Two reasons for a Fixed Blade over a Folder.

1. I still have scars on my hands from getting cut when a folder closed on my fingers.

2. Parents are very concerned about a folder being inadvertantly carried to school and thus creating serious problems.

The "folding on the fingers" concern is a very valid one. This could easily be solved by getting a locking folding knife, though. I discussed this issue with a friend of mine a little while back, and he recalled that about 80% of the accidental cuts he gave himself as a kid with a knife were from folding knives closing on him when he was trying to do something dumb with them. For this reason, I would recommend a locking folder or small fixed blade.

The "getting carried to school" concern is something that the parents need to deal with, not you. I've heard someone suggest that there should be a special place for the knife (certain spot on a shelf, etc) and that the knife should remain there except for when the kid specifically asks for it. I think this is probably a good idea for the first few months or until the kids shows that he's responsible with the knife.

As an aside, I'm not sure if I would buy a knife for a child that I couldn't supervise. Dunno how much knife knowledge the parents have, but if they don't know enough to tell him not to try to drill holes in a piece of hard plastic with a non-locking knife, they'll just blame you when he gets hurt with it.

It's a disappointingly simple and inexpensive knife but....

I just gave my own seven year old son my AG Russell Woods Walker a couple months ago, and it has been fantastic. very thin, easily controlled blade,and handle, small, light, and the leather pocket sheath is really kinda neat. It's well made, with respectable steel (AUS-8) and takes an edge back very quickly. (an important consideration when it comes to kids, knives, and erratic at best sharpening) It definitely isn't likely to take any degree of prying or other non knife duties, but once again, I consider it a good thing to better teach him how to handle a knife correctly.

It's also under $20 which to me is a good thing, because it won't break my heart so much when he loses it.

Sorry I don't have any neater suggestions.

All that having been said.....DANG that Bark River is a sweet looking knife! (it'd be my favorite choice by far if I were forementioned ten year old) Do ya' think the convex edge would turn out to be a hassle?

My daughter's first knife was a Gerber AR3.00, but I seriouly think EVERY kids first knife should be a small Schrade lockback. Good lockup, easy to sharpen, affordable. Take him to Wal-mart.

I guess a Busse Battle Mistress would be out of the question...

Seriously, I would recommend a sturdy blade with a handle that can take some abuse.

You might want to check out the Cold Steel mini-Pendleton hunter

http://www.coldsteel.com/penhun.html

Seems to be sized well for a 10yr old, safe sheath. Lanyards are good for kids too.

-- Dizos

1. Locking small blade and small handle, or a vic. My first was a slippie and you learn after the first (or second) time and you never do it again. Demsontrating how to close it is essential in both cases.
2. NOT a fixed blade. It will not return to the sheath half the time, and accidents will ensue.
3. Cheap cheap cheap (birds?) It WILL get lost, maybe right away. Better to find something readily available and easy on the wallet.
4. Not in school issue... I second the notion of a place for the knife to be during the day. Also could help with the loss issue.

I recommend a slip joint or a lock back. My first knife was a Victorinox Huntsmen given to me by my godfather and I used it for many years. With improper handling your nephew is just as likely to cut himself with a fixed blade as with a folder the only thing you can do is stress to him the importance of proper knife handling.

I think that swiss army knives make excellent first knives they are high quality and not to expensive so if your nephew loses it you aren’t out to much money. If you want a locking folder the Buck 112 is an excellent folder for the price and its smaller size should be more suited to your nephew’s hands.

I would go for a folder myself, I still recall that my first knife was a vic tinker given to me by my dad when I was 10-11, and I don't think I had any problems with cutting myself with it, although I do think the locking blade suggestions are probably good ones, and you should make sure he knows to keep his fingers out of the way of the blade while undoing the lock. I didn't have any problems with taking it to school, since I was homeschooled. I did however when I was 13 or so take three or four knives into the actual disembarking area at an airport when we were waiting to pick up my aunt (I was in the habit of carrying several knifes on my belt just for fun at that point^^) and the airport people were fine with it as long as they ran them all through the xray first:p. No way thats gonna happen again any time soon.

If you must go with a fixed blade I would recomend the one of the Frosts of Sweden knives. Clasic pukko style blade that is a good performer. I would recomend one of the Clippers as they can be had for less than $15.00. The Clippers have a molded in gaurd that is important for a newbie. A great knife to learn on.

I would also recomend the Swiss Army Soldier or Farmer. These knives will last and are also a great value at $25.00 or so. You could buy both for less than the $50.00 limit that you imposed. These two knives also compliment each other well.

Look forward to hearing what you decide on. Let me know if you decide to get one of the above and can't find it.

Tom

i think a child is still too young to cary a knife of any sort... maybe on his/her latter years like late highschool or college that he/she should have a knife.

i had my first folder (just an imitation - not original) when i was in highschool. i just bought my first genuine sak a couple of days ago :) - btw, i just graduated college a few months ago... hehe

How about when he goes on social security? Late high school? Maybe if he comes from a family of axe murderers and demonstrates killer tendencies, but otherwise I don’t think so.

I shudder to think what a 10 year old kid who ....CAN'T..... handle owning a knife is going to grow up like.

I got my grandson a SAK. He loves it, has never taken it to school, and that's too bad.

When I was in school, we ALL had pocket knives. Got cut playing mumblety-peg and broke knives throwing them.

I would NOT want him to take it to school now because the social rats posing as teachers would do more harm to him than any knife could.

We are losing the war. We're becoming a sorry lot. Probably why the US dollar is in a dive and not about to pull out.

DAMN our government! Course, I should say "damn us" because we are so dumb that we elect the morons.

:grumpy:

Ooops, did I stray from the topic?

;)

I wasa not thinking of a SAK yntil I read the post. Excellent idea. Other useful tools aboard. .

I think a SAK is a great idea. When I was 10, I was fascinated by SAKs but we could never afford one.

Interesting comments here about kids and knives. By age 10, I had more experience using knives than most adults. Helping cook dinner, cleaning fish, even killing and cleaning chickens....and I was a city kid.

Knives were just one of the indispensable tools we used around the house for some of our daily chores.

Back