Show off your first Sebenza/CRK!

I want a user Sebenza, so what should be my first?

• "Plain Jane"

Votes: 69 68.3%
  • Inlay (wood or micarta)

Votes: 23 22.8%
  • CGG

Votes: 9 8.9%

• Total voters
For the last year or so, I've been perfectly content collecting and using production knives, primarily from Benchmade, Spyderco, and Zero Tolerance. However, evey so often I'd come across a photo of a gorgeous Sebenza which would repeatedly make me want to take "the next step" in this hobby of folding pocket knives. Lately, while I still enjoy my blades, I've been lusting after the highly touted Sebenza (and Inkosi) more and more. I think it's finally gotten to the point now where I'm just going to see what all the fuss is about and snag one for myself!

I have a couple questions though. Seeing as I like to use all my blades (no "safe Queens" here!), I was wondering how well do the CCG Sebenzas wear? I really like the looks of some of the CCG models, but if I'm after a user, would I be significantly better off sticking with a plain Jane model or something with a wood or micarta inlay, or do the scales on the CCG models hold up reasonably well?

It all depends. The art sebenzas are still sebenzas so they will hold up fine to work. Personally I love the look of a well worn and loved plain jane.

With that said any CRK will be well built and up to plenty of work. If you prefer the look of the art sebenzas there is no reason not to get one.

I have a large 21 insingo with red linen inlays that has spoiled most of my other knives... I like the look it has but honestly even a plain insingo would have been great for me

IMO plain and inlays versions are great users

Just like you I don’t have safe queens and I would worry about the CCG not to get patina as good as a plain will

The presentation side of the CCG is polished, it shows finger prints easily. They get scratched up just like any knife that gets used. The graphic on a CCG holds up without fear of fading with regular use. I would choose a CCG/Unique over a wood inlay because they won’t refinish a wood inlay. The Micarta inlay is the only inlay that CRK will refinish.
I’ve sent two CCG’s back for a spa, they were well used when I got them, they came back looking new.

Don’t worry about the character marks you’ll put on it, that adds personality to your knife, get the one that brings a smile to your face and the one that you can’t wait to pull out and use.

My first CRK was a large 21 CCG (Elk Mountain) and I have no regrets. I have since acquired 3 more CRKs but good 'ol Elk Mtn is usually the one I carry.

In fact, I just strapped it on for church duty. :)

The 21 calls for micarta. The others are nice. I love some of the wood inlays (including my small spalted beech) and well-worn PJ’s are loaded with character. Something about the 21 micarta is just ‘right’ though.

Thought I'd bring this back seeing as there's a conclusion to this thread; after much pondering, I followed the advice of jwh720 jwh720 and decided I'd save the PJ or inlay for an Inkosi (because who am I kidding, there's definitely going to be another CRK folder or 4 in my future!) and bought myself a beautiful Small 21 Blue Hex CGG. Couldn't be happier that this is the knife that personally introduces me to CRK!

Obligatory Pictures:
IMG_20180226_195039.jpg
IMG_20180226_194926.jpg

Congratulations!

And yes, don't doubt for a minute that you won't have another or four more down the road. Probably sooner than later!!:D

I love them all but I think the first should be a Plain Jane and the PJs age so well. Nothin' nicer than a well worn PJ Sebenza.

w6BIWeM.jpg
AmHkAQa.jpg

I love them all but I think the first should be a Plain Jane and the PJs age so well. Nothin' nicer than a well worn PJ Sebenza.

w6BIWeM.jpg
AmHkAQa.jpg

Really beautiful how that one has darkened and smoothed with age. If you dont mind me asking, is there a cool story behind those philips head screws or just a little personalization?

After seeing your pictures, I have to say, I'm not in disagreement with that statement at all! Beautiful how it's aged; and besides, no reason to rule out a PJ in the future...

Last edited:
Really beautiful how that one has darkened and smoothed with age. If you dont mind me asking, is there a cool story behind those philips head screws or just a little personalization?

I forgot about the Phillips head screws LOL :D I had done that as a joke post as to whether or not my new used Sebenza was a fake? A few people posted before someone caught on. I had gotten quite a few PMs and emails wishing to not bum me out but they felt that there was a very good chance I got ripped off and should send it back for a refund. They didn't get the joke, some Sebenza people have no sense of humor. ;) :D :D

My first one....Sebenza 21 Diamond plate.Highly recommended to get Sebbie with CGG,something you won't forget ever :).Cheers.

Attachments

• 004 (3).JPG
    004 (3).JPG
    170.8 KB · Views: 45
My first one....Sebenza 21 Diamond plate.Highly recommended to get Sebbie with CGG,something you won't forget ever :).Cheers.

That looks bad***! Is it textured? If it is, I'm sure it helps with grip, not to mention the really cool industrial look it adds to the knife!

Back