DEK1

This could be the "First Look" of the New FK2 Proto in Zachs mouth-Great New design with Clip point;):eek: Photo by NINJO "Jo Carothers"

20170905_1208171_3-jpg.760701

Last edited:
just ordered a 10" x 2", .189" thick bar of 80CRV2, and a sheet of black linen micarta...

Keep it hush for a little bit! Let that HDFK have her moment in the spotlight.

Don't want to cannibalize those sales!

As the official biggest fan of the FK, please send me updates, would weekly be too much?!

:D:D

Keep it hush for a little bit! Let that HDFK have her moment in the spotlight.

don't you worry about that, this is going to be taking awhile. I'll post up some WiP pics as things move forward.

I posted this before, and keep in mind it's only a concept sketch and what I'm working on now is not the same. There've been a number of changes and refinements, but this will give you an idea of the spirit behind the concept;

Still working on paper at this point and don't feel like I'm quite there yet, although it's looking pretty good. Once a design is where I want it, I have to do a lot of research to find out whether I've inadvertently come up with something that already exists. So far, there are little reminders here and there of knives which have existed at some point or another, (as there almost always is) but I'm feeling pretty confident that this is going to be a somewhat unique looking knife that doesn't look like it was designed for Riddick.

And, as always, following the Loveless principle...

Last edited:
Please be aware ^ that's just a design concept...

The FK2 will be a tradesman's knife, a woods knife, a field knife. It's not a weapon and it's not going to look conspicuous. Similar in concept to the original, though a little thinner.

Like the original, it will be a non-nonsense working tool.

The FK2 will be a tradesman's knife, a woods knife, a field knife. It's not a weapon and it's not going to look conspicuous. Similar in concept to the original, though a little thinner.

Ooo...I like it already :)

Looks cool Lorien. That sketch is pointy, or less drop-pointy. Looks secure with that front finger groove.

FWIW, the only tweak I would have enjoyed on the original is slightly thicker handle slabs. I know that's personal preference. I don't have particularly large mitts, but it feels a little thin to me with extended use.

Looking forward to the new design.

I remember that sketch Lorien. I figured you didn't include it as it wasn't close enough to where you are at with the design now.

Thanks for keeping the fire burnin'!

I like the design and the fact that it will have a thinner blade stock. I agree with mb>, keep a little meat on those handles.

Looks cool Lorien. That sketch is pointy, or less drop-pointy. Looks secure with that front finger groove.

FWIW, the only tweak I would have enjoyed on the original is slightly thicker handle slabs. I know that's personal preference. I don't have particularly large mitts, but it feels a little thin to me with extended use.

Looking forward to the new design.

3/8" linen micarta will provide a lot of material to work with, and although I ordered 3/16" steel I will be getting it machined down to around .15- .16", which will provide a handle with a minumum thickness of 1/2"

some general changes to the sketch I posted are; a slightly less 'locked in' handle design, more belly and a wider blade. This will be a great general purpose cutter, and by that I mean you'll be able to cut your food with it, as well as a number of other things.

the blade is around 4.25" and the handle very slightly longer than that

Exposed tang at the rear? To make field adjustments when a panel needs a kick without unnecessarily marking the scales...

3/8" linen micarta will provide a lot of material to work with, and although I ordered 3/16" steel I will be getting it machined down to around .15- .16", which will provide a handle with a minumum thickness of 1/2"

some general changes to the sketch I posted are; a slightly less 'locked in' handle design, more belly and a wider blade. This will be a great general purpose cutter, and by that I mean you'll be able to cut your food with it, as well as a number of other things.

the blade is around 4.25" and the handle very slightly longer than that
This is now beginning to sound like something I might really like:thumbsup:;)

my plan initially was to try and follow in the footsteps of the UF and the Shank, but design something a little smaller that could double as a utility knife with an emphasis on self defense. Personally, I prefer designing tools for CPK instead of weapons, so I really appreciate Nate's clarification of what this knife is generally meant to be

Back