Folder for formal wear! Please advise. Thank you.

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by crisancosmin19, Sep 25, 2011.

1. crisancosmin19

crisancosmin19

Mar 21, 2011
    Like the title says, what knife do you carry when wearing suit and tie and the like?
    I pretty much have a folder for every ocasion, except tonight, when, of all people, my wife asks me (we were going to a formal event, black suit and the works) which knife am I taking with.
    And, nothing in response. i do not have one.
    So, what do you guys carry?
    Thank you!

2. Cold Kill

Cold Kill Banned BANNED

Jun 19, 2011
    A nice, shiny Case is a good formal knife. So long as the knife is small and a traditional design, it should go well with a suit and tie.

3. Tsujigiri

Tsujigiri

May 25, 2009
    I don't really have traditional knives, but I do have a couple that work well for formal wear. The Benchmade 943 and Kershaw Leek Composite Blade work pretty well, but my favorite would have to be my Al Mar Falcon Ultralight. It's smooth, so it won't rip up your pockets, and it's very light. It looks more traditional and less tactical, and it blends in to dark pants.

4. JAB

JAB Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 13, 2005
    [​IMG]

5. Cold Kill

Cold Kill Banned BANNED

Jun 19, 2011
    That is beautiful.

6. Houndstooth

Houndstooth Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 2, 2008
    How about a William Henry or a Mcusta? If you don't want to spend more than $100.00, you could get Kershaw Nakamura.

7. adam4584

adam4584

Jan 1, 2010
    if money is not an issue a CRK Mnandi in damascus and mamoth ivory

8. quattromori

quattromori

May 7, 2011
    Assuming you don't want to spend too much (not over 100 usd) for this, I think that any American traditional knife would be fine for the occasion. Especially single bladed or two bladed ones, and no more than 3,5" long (closed). Stag and wood preferred.
    To get even lower on the price range, I would recommend an Opinel (walnut handle).
    :cool:

9. Turbo Tension

Turbo Tension

May 6, 2010
    Queen large Texas Toothpick.

10. sheepdog229

sheepdog229 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 21, 2011
    I wear a suit every day and carry the same knives I would in jeans. Benchmade Bedlam 860, 5.11 Karambit, Spyderco Tenacios, Endura, or whatever else I feel like.

I don't really see why you want to get a "dressy" knife for a suit unless you intend to take it out and show it off to other "knife people." Is that the case?

FWIW, the "dressiest" looking knife I have is my Benchmade Dejavoo.

11. Mike-Mike

Mike-Mike

Jul 31, 2011
    When I wear a suit I still Carry an Emerson but not in the pocket. I clip it in at about 3:30 on the belt line and it disappears.

12. HusslinHoosier

HusslinHoosier

Feb 28, 2010
    I love my little Case Baby Butterbean. I work in a school where knives are iffy at best but I have used this little guy to break down boxes, cut up fruit, and many other small tasks out in the open and no one has batted an eye. Plus I still haven't sharpened it after two years and it cuts like crazy. You cannot go wrong with a nice Case.
    [​IMG]

13. OldSarSwmr

OldSarSwmr

Jan 1, 2010
    Here is a couple of "fancier" knives I have pocketed in a suit.
    Mcusta
    [​IMG]
    Case Slimlock
    [​IMG]

14. MIKE MACINTOSH

MIKE MACINTOSH

Mar 31, 2006
    Benchmade 940 Osborne Axis lock or Spyderco Lum chinese

15. white avenger

white avenger

Dec 31, 2008
    Swiss Army Classic and/or a Leatherman Micra.

16. rpttrsn

rpttrsn Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 1, 2006
    Most any Moki will make the suit and tie look better.
    [​IMG]

17. viva la

viva la

Jan 13, 2010
    collection.jpg

it even comes with a matching pen and moneyclip

18. Poez

Poez

Jul 5, 2010
    I think Mcusta is quite good for such an occasion. BM Shoki 480-1 would be great I think.

19. upnorth

upnorth

Nov 25, 2006
    Discretion tells me that some events\situations are inappropriate for carry.

20. dcmartin

dcmartin

Oct 25, 2010
    I'll carry just about anything with a slim enough profile and a pocket clip. I like my Benchmade 530, 940bk, Sm Sebenza, Spyderco Lava but my favorite
    for "Slacks" carry has to be my Carbon Fiber Michael Walker. Very slim, weighs next to nothing (1.95 oz) and i really like the ZDP 189 steel.

[​IMG]