1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Folding blades with scandinavian grinds

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Brutus013, Aug 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brutus013

Brutus013 Banned BANNED

Nov 30, 2006
    Are there any production folding knives with scandinavian grinds? I've seen a couple of EKA folding knives that looked like they might've had scandinavian grind, but I'm not sure.

2. mete

mete Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 10, 2003
  3. Brutus013

Brutus013 Banned BANNED

Nov 30, 2006
    No, that has a pretty noticeable secondary bevel on there. I'm looking for folders with a true scandinavian grind, a large primary bevel and no other bevels.

4. Kazeryu

Kazeryu

Nov 7, 2005
    I confess I don't quite understand why true scandi grind folders don't exist.

<sarcasm> Obviously it's so the knife companies can sell fantabulous knife sharpening 'systems'!</sarcasm>

I don't think the knife industry is actually that silly, so there must be some kind of reason. Maybe it's harder to mass-produce a decent out-of-the-box edge and polish with scandi grinds?

5. RNST

RNST

Mar 23, 2006
    Jens Anso has a collaboration with Spyderco called the "Rock Lobster". It is due to be released this fall in North America. I have seen pictures but can't remember where; I suppose you could google the European Spyderco office. It came from a knife show in Europe this past spring.

6. red96ta

red96ta

Jun 15, 2008
    Almost all Japanese weaponry has a primary bevel....try looking around for a Hanwei tanto if you want a good knife (but alas, it won't be a folder).

I got sick of the sorry condition of my CS Ti-Lite and ground it down to a primary bevel....that sure took care of it not being able to hold an edge.

7. malex

malex

Nov 16, 1998
    If you really want a large primary bevel and no other bevels have a look at Higo no Kami folder (or Higonokami - traditional Japanese folding carpenter's knife) For examle -http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=51165&cat=1,51222 . It's unexpensive ($17 - $25), different sized and quite functional.

Of course, it's not HiTech-WOW-Cool Tactical Folder. :)

8. Allex

Allex

Jun 29, 2007
    Marttiini has 1 or two folders

9. Lycosa

Lycosa

Aug 24, 2007
    There should be some folders available with the Scandi. Have Tom Krein do you one-up on a suitable folder. ;)

10. Esav Benyamin

Esav Benyamin MidniteSuperMod Staff Member Super Mod

Apr 6, 2000
    I've got a couple of the Ahti butterflies. They are made by the same factory that made the old Hackman butterlies years ago. I think they may have a very small secondary bevel, but that's easily sharpened out.

http://www.ragweedforge.com/AhtiCatalog.html
    Last item on the page. Can't beat the price. :)

11. Elen

Elen

Apr 10, 2007
    It's because Scandi grind is a Scandinavian thing mostly, and Scandinavians in general don't much care about folders.

12. Kiah

Kiah S&S Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 20, 2006
    The only EKA I've owned had a secondary bevel, but it was pre-owned, so it may have been added. Email Ragnar and ask him about the EKAs. He should be able to tell you.

13. Keith_H

Keith_H

Jul 20, 2007
    Moras have a good edge from the factory for a good price, I think that it would be as easy if not easier than a flat grind.

14. Brutus013

Brutus013 Banned BANNED

Nov 30, 2006
    Hm, that looks pretty nice. Hey, for general purpose out and about it won't be scaring away any sheeple, and that looks like the exact type of blade I was looking for. Thanks!

15. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
  16. Rich S

Rich S

Sep 23, 2005
  17. Brutus013

Brutus013 Banned BANNED

Nov 30, 2006
    Hm, I've been looking for some nicer puukkos, and some of those look great. I don't know about the folders, though. I don't like the looks of them very much, although they do indeed look nice.

18. ADD

ADD

Apr 29, 2006
  19. knife_nut_axle

knife_nut_axle

Dec 24, 2011
    i will be doing a test to see if i can make one if it works i will make a few to sell

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.