Folding blades with scandinavian grinds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brutus013

BANNED
Are there any production folding knives with scandinavian grinds? I've seen a couple of EKA folding knives that looked like they might've had scandinavian grind, but I'm not sure.

Brutus013

BANNED
No, that has a pretty noticeable secondary bevel on there. I'm looking for folders with a true scandinavian grind, a large primary bevel and no other bevels.

I confess I don't quite understand why true scandi grind folders don't exist.

<sarcasm> Obviously it's so the knife companies can sell fantabulous knife sharpening 'systems'!</sarcasm>

I don't think the knife industry is actually that silly, so there must be some kind of reason. Maybe it's harder to mass-produce a decent out-of-the-box edge and polish with scandi grinds?

Jens Anso has a collaboration with Spyderco called the "Rock Lobster". It is due to be released this fall in North America. I have seen pictures but can't remember where; I suppose you could google the European Spyderco office. It came from a knife show in Europe this past spring.

Almost all Japanese weaponry has a primary bevel....try looking around for a Hanwei tanto if you want a good knife (but alas, it won't be a folder).

I got sick of the sorry condition of my CS Ti-Lite and ground it down to a primary bevel....that sure took care of it not being able to hold an edge.

If you really want a large primary bevel and no other bevels have a look at Higo no Kami folder (or Higonokami - traditional Japanese folding carpenter's knife) For examle -http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=51165&cat=1,51222 . It's unexpensive ($17 - $25), different sized and quite functional.

Of course, it's not HiTech-WOW-Cool Tactical Folder. :)

There should be some folders available with the Scandi. Have Tom Krein do you one-up on a suitable folder. ;)

Esav Benyamin

MidniteSuperMod
I've got a couple of the Ahti butterflies. They are made by the same factory that made the old Hackman butterlies years ago. I think they may have a very small secondary bevel, but that's easily sharpened out.

http://www.ragweedforge.com/AhtiCatalog.html
Last item on the page. Can't beat the price. :)

I confess I don't quite understand why true scandi grind folders don't exist.

It's because Scandi grind is a Scandinavian thing mostly, and Scandinavians in general don't much care about folders.

Kiah

S&S Moderator
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
The only EKA I've owned had a secondary bevel, but it was pre-owned, so it may have been added. Email Ragnar and ask him about the EKAs. He should be able to tell you.

...I don't think the knife industry is actually that silly, so there must be some kind of reason. Maybe it's harder to mass-produce a decent out-of-the-box edge and polish with scandi grinds?

Moras have a good edge from the factory for a good price, I think that it would be as easy if not easier than a flat grind.

Brutus013

BANNED
If you really want a large primary bevel and no other bevels have a look at Higo no Kami folder (or Higonokami - traditional Japanese folding carpenter's knife) For examle -http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=51165&cat=1,51222 . It's unexpensive ($17 - $25), different sized and quite functional.

Of course, it's not HiTech-WOW-Cool Tactical Folder. :)

Hm, that looks pretty nice. Hey, for general purpose out and about it won't be scaring away any sheeple, and that looks like the exact type of blade I was looking for. Thanks!

knarfeng

senex morosus moderator
Staff member
Super Mod
swede-60.jpg

http://www.ragweedforge.com/eka-catalog.html

Not sure. Looks like what you were looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.