Found a large knife and restored it

I was cleaning my gf's backyard before selling and found this knife. I thought it had an interesting shape and I decided to restore it. Did I diminish it's value?

It's a large 18" butcher with foot long blade. A.M or A.N. stamp on the blade which is I preserved.

Please advice. Thanks in advance!

blade1.jpg

Last edited:
That’s a damn good looking knife. Sadly I can’t really help you identify who made it, but regardless great restoration job

Thanks guys. I cannot ID it either. It was completely covered in rust.
As a general rule. Did I lower its value by restoring it?

no, I don't think you lost any value restoring it. That general rule really applies to super old historically significant swords/knives.

here is a pic so people don't need to get to your google drive
4fJ3tH5XsTkd.jpg

That knife is Filipino in origin. Looks like a bolo that the clip point was cut or broken off.

Looks great now.

Thanks dirtbike. I know a Filipino family lived on that property. Very possible they left it behind.

Nice work, Bladeforums. I have never seen anything like it, and yet a couple of members have it identified in less than four hours.

OP, do you plan to use it? It looks almost too nice to use now, but I’d be tempted to see how it performed on my brush and vines.

Hi Henry,
Didn't think about using it. I just restored because I thought it looks unusual and interesting. Decorative purposes, and I didn't go a great way of sharpening it.

What did you have in mind :)

it's begging to be used, if not on coconut, at least on watermelon/papaya/pineapple

you have any before restoration pics?

Nice looking knife and great job restoring it! Welcome to the forums!

Back