1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Framing your knife collection

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by TheJeepster, Aug 31, 2014.

1. TheJeepster

TheJeepster Banned BANNED

May 10, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
  2. cricketdave

cricketdave Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 24, 2008
    At one time I had several very nice knives on display plaques on the wall. Then my house was broken into, so no not a chance would I put any knives worth more than a dime on the wall again. I'm still pissed almost 30 years later.

3. Rhinoknives1

Rhinoknives1 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 1, 2013
    Users get used and closet/collector knives go in the safes
    Or as Dave mentioned. They can grow feet on you!

4. TheJeepster

May 10, 2014
    Jeeps Rule!

5. FTR-14c

FTR-14c

Jul 24, 2011
    This wall hung hidden storage was a gift to my 13 year old son for some of his favorites.
    It was made by my wife's co worker from recycled materials.
    We had to sneak his knives to the maker for fitting and get them back before he knew they were missing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As luck would have it, it also fits a few of my favorites:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  6. RevDevil

RevDevil Super Evil Supermod Staff Member Super Mod

Nov 9, 2009
    The thing is that people with a good life, good friends, good neighborhood get broken into too. If I were a thief, I would paruse ghetto homes, better chance of finding loot in a nicer place an setting.

7. RedLynx

RedLynx Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 5, 2011
    Also I think a lot of thieves rob strangers so even if you live a better life now... sadly that's no guarantee.

I wouldn't put my stuff on display for the same fears Dave mentioned, personally.

8. cricketdave

cricketdave Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 24, 2008
    No it was a nice home in a decent neighborhood and I was past my wilder times. Insurance did pay, however some things are more difficult to replace than others, Lile Sly knife being the one I miss most. Now, no its very unlikely it would happen, since I'm retired and at home most of the time and when I'm not a big indoor dog with no tolerance for unwelcome visitors is.

9. sabre cat

sabre cat Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 4, 2014
    Look for a special type of frame called a shadow box. It will make your project much easier to do. There is a company called Graphic Demensions that should be able to help you.

10. TheJeepster

May 10, 2014
    Jeeps Rule!

11. sabre cat

sabre cat Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 4, 2014
    those will be very heavy. how are you going to mount them on the wall?

12. ellipticus

ellipticus

Jan 21, 2013
    I would not display knives that I would not wish to have stolen and I would not recommend the practice
    unless you were planning on opening a museum of fine cutlery and charging admission.

One alternative would be to take photographs of your knives and post them in "the gallery" sub-forum or other appropriate place.
    You would have a much larger audience.

Or you could create a "shrine" for your most prized cutting instruments such as this gentleman did...
    http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1130885-The-Hanzo-Box
    Now this is a little over the top for me but some people really love their knives, I guess.

I personally have a knife inventory in Word format where I include photos of all my knives.
    I really don't "show" my knives.

13. VultureJ

VultureJ Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 23, 2013
    [​IMG]

14. AntDog

AntDog Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 3, 2001
    [​IMG]

15. TheJeepster

May 10, 2014
    Jeeps Rule!

16. AntDog

Apr 3, 2001
    Thanks man! My Dad gave me those. He had carried em both for years. I'm proud to display them. I even carry and use em once in a while.

My Grandpappy made that knife at the top in the middle out of an old file. The handle is made out of a piece of brass my Dad found out walking a survey line, with an old piece of copper Grandpa had laying around as the guard. It's one of my most cherished possessions but I never carry it. I'm too scared to lose it.

17. link2derek

link2derek

Oct 8, 2010
    Not if they're valuable! If anyone ever breaks in to your place, they will most definitely take your knife collection - after all, you've already boxed everything up and it's all ready to go!

My knives go here (guns are in the other BIG safe!):

[​IMG]

18. Sonnydaze

Sonnydaze Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Here's what I have to say about safes. Bolt it down to a concrete pad, or chain it down.

19. AntDog

Apr 3, 2001
    Amen. Otherwise it's "hey, thanks for putting all your obviously valuable chit in one convenient box, mark!"

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
  20. EChoil

EChoil Banned BANNED

May 22, 2014
    Those are very nice everyone. I'd love to do it but, even insured---it's not just the money, knives can become almost as personal as photos---I would be too afraid of theft...too easy to carry em out like that. And I know the long-term feeling after that kind of occurrence.