From stock to not

Well, gave home made micarta a try. So, after cutting some cloth and getting some fiberglass reisin, I started with an alternating pattern of blue jeans and OD green cloth from an old issue laundry bag.
2012-05-12_12-22-57_749.jpg

After the initial few cuts with a saw, the fact that you can always cut more off, but can't add it back rings true.
2012-05-12_12-24-01_970.jpg

So, saving that pattern of micarta for a later project involving a Schrade Sharp Finger. Luckily, my partner in crime Awesome-o had some left over DCU scales.
2012-05-12_12-35-38_461.jpg

Rouch cut with the brass screws in, holding the handles tight, we started to work down the handle.
2012-05-12_13-06-13_156.jpg

After working the micarta down a bit, we cut the ends of the screws and used a ball-peen hammer to mushroom the edges.
2012-05-12_14-14-17_959.jpg

Here is the result after sanding down to 80 on a HF 1 x 30, then finishing off with 250 on a sanding block.
2012-05-12_15-23-17_548.jpg

...and here is another shot of it stuck in the target we used for the tomahawk throwing contest at the BHWest Gathering.
2012-05-12_15-21-32_763.jpg

I had all intentions of making a much longer post of the process, but this week has been hell at work, and I lack the energy to follow through with my initial plan. Sorry for the shortcut, but a 50% solution beats not atempting at all. I have since taken 500 grit sandpaper on a sanding block to the handle, but still havent gotten around to finding a good polish and getting it all sexy. I will post one once finally complete.

Looks good so far. I find polished micarta to not have enough grip. But thats just me

Afterwards, we started practicing tomahawk throwing (prepping for next years gathering) and Awesome-o realized that his new CS Trailhawk hates his other hawks'.
2012-05-12_14-21-20_46.jpg

2012-05-12_14-21-28_231.jpg

Then we started messing around with some Gil Hibbon throwers. Then shit got retarded............... we had an idea to reenact the movie "Krull" by bolting the afore mentioned knives together.
2012-05-12_15-33-16_981.jpg

Yes it works. Yes................it's definatly sketchy/risky.
2012-05-12_15-35-30_887.jpg

Looks good so far. I find polished micarta to not have enough grip. But thats just me

I hear ya.
I preffer the roughed up micarta myself. More grippy.

Those scales are top notch. Nice work man!!

Of course it counts Awesom-o.....................eliminating the competition is legit.

Awesome! This thread rocks. Can't wait to see what kind of scales you get from the blue/green combo, the ones you did make look great though. I don't know what the equivalent to the tomahawk Robin Hood would be, but that's the split arrow trick right there lol.

The Glaive is what you speak of. It doesn't count unless you pulled it from a stream of lava.:D

We used to play a game when we threw hawks, called "handles". The priciple was if you split your buds handle you win. :D

Its hard not to hit someones handle.

Moose

I know what you mean. Its hard not to hit a hawk thats stuck in there. sounds like a fun game. allthough it could get spendy(or labor intensive if you made them yourself).

How do yo like the little trailhawk?
The only thing I don't like about it is the set screw that holds the head on. Maybe it is just the look but the real reason is that when I took the head off the first time i to sand the handle I didnt notice it and I cut a 8" trench down the side of my handle.

Back