• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them.

FT: Deviant friction folder - carbon fiber hawkbill

I got one of Deviant's friction folders sometime in the past year and it gets no use or carry time, so I'd like to try to trade it off to someone who can get more out of it than I have. Pictures are below. I haven't used or carried the knife, nor did the person I bought it from. There is a little scratch on the blade on the ground side, not sure if the photos even pick it up. The blade doesn't sit 100% centered when closed, so the non-ground side almost touches the front scale, but it doesn't quite touch and the finish is perfect and hasn't rubbed at all. Opening/closing are smooth as silk, so the knife works perfectly and that's the only flaw I see.

The blade is A2, I think, with a black Gunkote coating. The scales are thick carbon fiber and are beautifully finished. The backspacer looks to be stainless steel of some variety as it has no tarnish/rust/spots. Deviant uses Nylatron washers between the blade and scales and it opens and closes really nicely. Spyderhole is licensed from Spyderco.

Measurements: blade is about 1/8" thick steel, OAL is 6 9/16", blade is about 2 9/16" cutting edge, handle is 3 7/8" and the OAL closed, including the "beak" is 5 1/8". I don't have calipers to measure, but I would guess the carbon fiber scales started out about 1/2" thick and Deviant put a nice round curve into them, chamfered the edges nicely, etc. It has a great feel to it.

For trade, I would ideally like to get one of JRyan's friction folders. If there is a price difference, we can work something out I'm sure. (( do not post trade values )) Would also consider handmade slipjoints and possibly some Syperdco folders depending on the model. Not interested in a big pile of junk for this, so please don't ask. Would also consider any XL size Patagonia clothing. Drop me message with what you have, preferably with photos. THANKS!
20100911-j4fsies3ngwfu476i1whkha58j.jpg

20100911-e1damxxtpjgedjcagb6uh4jy5r.jpg

20100911-mnyiusagbxu32pc17rnratmk4u.jpg

20100911-j7ysny8h968w2q77d9qm17aiub.jpg

20100911-2r4tkirp7rdtb5pyhw34ch3i4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just as an FYI, saying what they sell for may be considered "trade value". Not trying to be a nuisance or anything.

BTTT, thanks for the offers, but not interested in anything so far.

No thanks, Gangsta. I have a couple balis that I'm pretty happy with already.