1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Spyderco C230GPPBK Lil Native Black Blade & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Nov 16!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Nov 17 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Esav Benyamin has passed. Please pay your respects here

Full Tang, Full Hilt design

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by dullpoint, Sep 15, 2011.

1. dullpoint

dullpoint

Feb 2, 2009
    I am new at knife making but not new at metals. Has anyone ever made a full tang design with a guard on both sides? Loveless stopped his guards at the spine as most do but has anyone ever continued the guard further so it resembles a hilt? I realize this would require some odd construction techniques, fillers, "L" guard pieces etc. but I am curious to see if anyone has gone down this road.

2. TwinStick

TwinStick

Jan 21, 2011
    The only comment i can give is this: A knife with a guard on the top & bottom (like the Ontario SP10 Marine Raider Bowie) limits it's use. It is difficult & uncomfortable & unnatural to me, to have to reach over or around a top guard, when trying to choke up for close in work.

3. puukkoman

puukkoman

Sep 30, 2004
    Lots of full tang knives use double guards. Look in the Makers' section, and you'll surely see some bowies and such with that type. It simply requires the slot in the guard to be large enough to slide all the way up over the handle.
    An example of a production knife with this feature:
    [​IMG]

4. Poez

Poez

Jul 5, 2010