Gentleman's folder advice (modern or traditional)

I'm looking for a new small gentleman's folder, I currently carry a small 21 inlay which is great but a bit bigger in my suit pants than I care for.

I tried the spyderco air, and it's great but not really at the quality levels I want for my nice edc (crk quality spoils you some). Does anyone have any reccomendations or experience in finding a high quality gentleman's folder?

Price: arond $450
Size: 2-3"
Deployment: thumbstud or similar, flipper is fine
Steel: S35 or comparable
Style: framework, linerlock, slipjoint

So far I have ruled out WH, as they just aren't the mood I'm going for and all seem a bit more fragile than I want. Leading me to the Mnandi, the new titanium Hoback Mk, or possibly a case/bose slipjoint. While these three are very different the quality seems to be consistent however I'm still uncertain, trying to stay around $450 and I know very little about slipjoint offerings. Does anyone have experience or reccomendations?

I know it may not have to flipper or one hand opening ... but I have to say I usually carry a modern folder and a traditonal which has varied from a SAK to a Buck Stockman to a GEC Improved trapper ...

but I recently bought a Lionsteel Roundhead from another member here in the exchange ... and I have really found myself loving it ... the blade is M390 its not a tiny knife so feels good to use and has impressed me for a slipjoint.

I would at least give it a look ... well below your price point.

As far as modern folders ... I would recommend a look at Mcusta very nice looking knives good quality. And for your price point there are many options I'm sure you will get several recommendations of higher end knives.

Last edited:
I'm sure you can get Mnandis in nice inlays and William Henry knives with a fancier look and very nice quality ... or special edition Benchmades ... or for the price point of $450.00 a nice custom ... I dont own many more "gentleman's knives" to give you models but I'm sure several will find your post and have alot more options. Both of mine are only around $150.00 give or take ...

Last edited:
BDjJ0r3.jpg

Case Texas toothpick. Very small but very classy.

Internally I seldom look at $450ish knives except for CRK and I generally shy away from pulling the trigger on one of their knives. Been eyeing Reate stuff... Fallkniven certainly has some very nice medium priced gentlemanly folders that appeal to me. Two years ago, I would have said "expensive", but now they're medium priced within my knife perspectives.

For more dressy occasions (sport coat, dress slacks and dress shoes type affair), I generally chose something thin and fairly light weight but not necessarily expensive. A couple that I own come to mind. Spyderco Kiwi 4, Lionsteel Mini Opera in stag, or the small two blade GEC #14 Boys knife. All good and I recommend them.

The Lionsteel Round head is a nice knife with modern steel for a traditional. Haven't purchased one of these as of yet, but I will eventually; probably the next batch to be released.... who knows?

Take a look at Enigma Knives. Great slip-joints with premium materials. A lot with curly Maple for example, titanium liners (super light weight), mosaic pivots, and steels like M390 and US2000(Cruwear).

Enigma Knives look great from a fairly new Polish company. I will have to keep my eyes on them for a traditional.

For a cheaper option, although it's discontinued, I would've suggested the Benchmade 707 Sequel.

Since you're accustomed to CRK, I think you'd be satisfied with a Mnandi although there's no thumbstud or flipper. Then there's always the carbon fiber small 21 if it's more of a weight issue than a size issue.

Darrel Ralph makes a 3" Dominator midtech

I'm looking for a new small gentleman's folder, I currently carry a small 21 inlay which is great but a bit bigger in my suit pants than I care for.

I tried the spyderco air, and it's great but not really at the quality levels I want for my nice edc (crk quality spoils you some). Does anyone have any reccomendations or experience in finding a high quality gentleman's folder?

Price: arond $450
Size: 2-3"
Deployment: thumbstud or similar, flipper is fine
Steel: S35 or comparable
Style: framework, linerlock, slipjoint

So far I have ruled out WH, as they just aren't the mood I'm going for and all seem a bit more fragile than I want. Leading me to the Mnandi, the new titanium Hoback Mk, or possibly a case/bose slipjoint. While these three are very different the quality seems to be consistent however I'm still uncertain, trying to stay around $450 and I know very little about slipjoint offerings. Does anyone have experience or reccomendations?

Ferrum Forge just made this little knife. It can be used alone or fit into a keybar. They are going to make a 100% standalone model soon.
Blank-Diagram-Page-1-620x400.jpeg

banner_20171213101955.jpg

I don't know if you can track one down but CRK used to make a micro Sebenza called the Umfaan. (Not my pics)

Here is an Umfann next to a small 21 and a Mnandi for comparison.
hqdefault.jpg

Umfaan has no clip but comes with a leather slip.
chris-reeve-rare-bg42-umfaan-sebenza-custom_1_720cc07b93fa5f77e3af574f6da8a01d.jpg

Good luck finding one. :(

Only picks I can name

LionSteel Roundhead or Shuffler
CRK Mnandi

I am sure there are others but if the Sebenza seems like too much knife at times I am having a tough time finding something to meet your request w/o also being as much knife in pocket.

Lower than your budget (which may be a nice thing? :) ), but seriously, check out the Spyderco Domino in CTS-XHP. Perfectly fits your specs, I just got one. They were dc'd by Spyderco in 2018 but a lot of places still have them in stock. This is a nice flipper/frame lock in a 'gentleman's' configuration and a great steel. It's my fave smaller knife to carry.

https://www.knifeworks.com/spyderco...lue-weave-carbon-fiber-handle-plain-edge.html

You can't go wrong with an Mnandi.

Also take a look at T.A. Davison knives, his slipjoints can be found on the secondary market in your price range. His knives are exceptional.

Back