Gift: Orange-handled knife?

Guys/Gals -

As a graduation gift for a friend of mine, I'm interested in buying an orange-handled knife of some sort. He's a University of Tennessee nut, thus the orange.

Here's what I have in mind:

Price = ~$75
Blade = 2.75 - 3"; single blade, plain edge
Lock = no real preference here. Should autolock though.

Use = mostly just as an EDC. Not likely to get a lot of hard work, but should still be durable.

Handle material = something classy. Orange wood would be cool, but other natural materials (bone?) would work as well. Prefer to stay away from synthetics. Might consider having it engraved as well, so material choice might be critical there.

Any thoughts on good options and where to get `em?

Thanks,

Mark

Hmmm. Interesting thought, but I think I'm trying to more pay tribute to his graduating from college as opposed to paying tribute to Fulmer.

Might be a good backup option, though, in case I can't find anything else.

Thanks so much for offering this idea up. Appreciate it.

-- Mark

Originally posted by powells85
New Graham has these Case models http://www.newgraham.com/g_10_orange.htm and I know Buck currently has a few such as the Approach and like models. I also had an orange handled Buck Bucklite but they don't make them anymore. You can find a few on ebay though.

Maybe I'm being too picky. None of those seem to really give me a charge. Thanks, though. Really.

Anyone else have any other cool ideas? What handle woods are distinctly orange?

-- Mark

Depending on how much this means to you, you can get a DDR kit (knife kit from Darryl ralph) From 1sks, and make him one. Many people have been happy with the results, and since you fininsh the handle scales, they can be any material or color. It's not too difficult, but it will take time. Or you can get a rescue from spyderco, but the're zytel..--Joe

I believe I saw a reference to Orange G-10 on the Case knives site.

Bark River Knife and Tool uses Orange G-10 on some of their handles.

I have a Mini-Canadian Skinner w/ orange G-10. :D This is a small fixed blade. Blade is a little over 2 inches. Very sharp convex edge in A2 (although I had to strop this particular knife). There will probably be some Orange G-10 in future models, too. Search around. I got mine from www.treemanknives.com .

I'm afraid that if you restrict yourself to orange handled knives you may only find oddball knives that would never get used. I would think that getting a more normal knife and getting it engraved would be a better solution. One compromise would be to order an engraved custom Buck 110 with Fiji orangewood handle panels. Buckknives.com has a custom option (aka Pete's Custom Knife Shop) where you can add features to the knife and also get engraving. I would pick a BG42 alloy blade, the orangewood handle, brass bolsters, and engraving.

Make a visit to Pete's Custom Knife Shop (PCKS) at the Buck Web Site. There you can have a Buck 110 custom built using Fiji Orangewood as well has having his initials, the date of his graduation, or anything else engraved either into the blade, or the bolsters, or both. Something real personalized...

Jeff and I must have been posting at the same time - but if two knife knuts recomend PCKS and a custom built 110 - it may be worth considering!!! :D :D :D

Another vote for the orange handled Mini-Canadian Skinner, by Bark River Knife, available at Treeman http://treemanknives.com/tek9.asp?pg=products&specific=jpiqgmo0. It's a fixed blade, but fixed blades work better anyway.
mvc-027fa048-2.jpg

Originally posted by Gypsy9590
Jeff and I must have been posting at the same time - but if two knife knuts recomend PCKS and a custom built 110 - it may be worth considering!!! :D :D :D

That might be the ticket right there. Totally forgot about PCKS. Now, if they can just do it in time. Any idea what their lead time is?

-- Mark

Mark,
They can probably add the Tiger Paw on the handle.....No that's the OTHER orange team...

B.G.

Originally posted by bgf
Mark,
They can probably add the Tiger Paw on the handle.....No that's the OTHER orange team...

B.G.

That's also the better orange team. ;)

I think the custom Buck 110 would be most excellent.

I can't think of any better than the 110 for the orange theme, and the personalization is a nice touch!

Dennis,Tommy Bowden had a great second half of the season??!!

B.G.

Originally posted by shootist16
That's also the better orange team. ;)

I think the custom Buck 110 would be most excellent.

Well, of course, the "better" orange team is the other UT. Go Horns. :)

Did end up getting the Buck 110 Hunter. Fiji Orangewood, BG-42 steel, nickel bolsters, plain edge. Had the blade engraved w/ his university's name on first line and "MBA Grad" on second line. Got his initials on one bolster and 2004 on the other. Maybe a little too much engraving, but he'll always know it's his. ;)

Oh, and despite the orange color, he's not actually graduating from a school w/ orange colors. He's from Tennessee though, and I thought it'd make a good reminder of home.

Many thanks to all of you for the suggestions.

-- Mark

Back