Got my Magnum!

I got my Magnum for Christmas! #12 now permenantly resides in Ontario. :D

D020.jpg

Sorry for the crappy pic, I need to get my dad to buy a new camera. The sheath is by Dave Brown, and it is so awesome.

One quaestion now. When I got the knife, there was tan plasticy stuff on the blade near the edge, and on the corners of the spine. Is this from the sheath? Also the blade wasnt very sharp, wouldnt even shave hair. My Rat was sharper. How was everyone elses Magnum? Other than that I am thrilled with this knife!

Thor

Congrats on the knife. Mine had a small ding (down to the metal) on the coating by the hole at the finger guard, I was a bit unhappy about that since it was a new knife. So I took it out and chopped some wood to knock the newness off. Other then that it came nice and sharp and in great shape.

frogfish

Gold Member
Very nice really like the pants now I'm going to have to give Dave a call :D

X-Head

Gold Member
The plasticky (more like waxy--I know exactly what you're referring to) film on the blade near the edge is the result of Dave Brown's particular sheath making technique. I have had kydex and concealex sheaths made for my knives by 4 different makers, and the knives I get back from Buy Brown are the only ones that have a waxy film on them that is hard to get off. It's not a huge deal and does not really affect anything; it just makes your new knives look like sh1t. This is either due to the use of higher than normal temperature or higher than normal pressure exerted on the concealex while it is forming. It could also be the result of not using some kind of material to wrap the blade in (tape, aluminum foil, etc.). I'm not knocking BB or his sheaths; just answering your question and stating fact.

The following is hopefully some helpful information for anyone considering a BuyBrown sheath (things I wish someone had told me, so that I could have known what instructions to write for Dave on my 1st order):

Now I may or may not be speaking for Dave here, but I think the reason for this is that most other plastic sheath makers keep the knife secured in the sheath by forming the "lips" of the sheath snugly around the guard or the choil, whereas Dave's idea of the optimum sheath design is one with as low profile as possible, so that your hand can grip the whole entire handle without having to reposition your grip after unsheathing. Therefore his sheaths have a very short "lip" that just barely grabs the guard, and he relies on the tightness of the fit along the entire blade length for most of the sheath's retention. This may be why he shuns the use of any blade wrap material, because it would reduce the sheath's tension on the blade. This is not my favorite design but he CAN make the sheath retention with larger lips just like the other makers--or any way you like--IF you know to tell him up front.

The man DOES know how to work that plastic, and he has, IMO, the best selection of colors and patterns of any plastic sheathmaker; his prices are lower than most--especially for his skill level, he's always willing to help out his customers and go the extra mile, and he's just an all around great guy and big Busse fan, not to mention if you want a 2-tone hotrod flame pattern or a clear plastic sheath, where else are you gonna go?!? And yes, I am a repeat customer of his if that tells you anything.

Thor,

My Magnum was very sharp.

Maybe the edge on your knife had to be dulled to allow the plastic to be shaped?

David

Thanks for all the replies. I am kind of stuck about what to do with my knife. The edge is quite dull. It will chop, but it wont cut paper or shave. I am not very good at sharpening, but it would cost me a whole lot to send it back to Busse for sharpening. Any ideas or suggestions?

Thor

I retouched the edge on my Magnum with a Spyderco Sharpmaker 204MF. It's beyond sharp now. :D

Did you just use the four steps from the Spyderco manual? I might have to try that out.

Dr. Thor said:
Also the blade wasnt very sharp, wouldnt even shave hair. My Rat was sharper. How was everyone elses Magnum? Thor

I could shave with #30 when I got it... maybe Jerry doesn't like you or something??? :D :D