1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Graduation Gift

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Reitwagen, Apr 28, 2019.

1. Reitwagen

Reitwagen

Mar 2, 2009
    My wife and I have been invited to a graduation party for a friend's daughter, so of course we should bring a gift. My tradition has been to give knives to new graduates, although some of the parents were a bit concerned with my choice. I intend to give her an SAK with reckless disregard for her parent's reservations. Don't try to talk me out of it.

2. b00n

b00n Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Go for it then. Make it a nice colorful alox.

4mer_FMF likes this.
  3. 4mer_FMF

4mer_FMF Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Espada Large.

The XL would be silly.

4. b00n

b00n Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Or a sword, and he can knight her with it on graduation day? o_O:thumbsup:

5. K.O.D.

K.O.D. Water my a**! Get this guy some pepto bismol! Platinum Member

Aug 21, 2013
    The new swisscard "spring spirit" would be good I'd think.

[​IMG]

If that is too discreet for her, well...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  6. dirc

dirc

Jan 31, 2018
    do they still make pink cadet saks?

7. Sedit

Sedit Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 18, 2018
    Howdy

So my Cousin just graduated from college yesterday and I used this thread as an inpiration to get het a [email protected] and she loved it

cheers
    Matt

Reitwagen and 4mer_FMF like this.
  8. colin.p

colin.p

Feb 4, 2017
    I have had several women notice my SAK SD Classic and comment on the fact they also carry a SAK. Of course none of then pulled out a Large Espada, but still. Baby steps...

4mer_FMF likes this.
  9. Steely_Gunz

Steely_Gunz Got the Khukuri fevah Moderator

May 9, 2002
    Is she thinking about heading off to college? If so, it's really hard to beat a SAK Tinker or Climber as a dorm tool. Now I understand the zero tolerance knife rules and whatnot. And I know that it's been a bit since I was in school. However, I have yet to see an RA have an issue with a friendly red scaled 4 or more layer thick SAK in the room.

A good set of tools that will open food packages, trim a stray thread, tighten a loose dorm desk screw, etc would be a welcome tool to keep around the room. It would be quite handy and wouldn't cost a lot of money should it grow legs and walk off.

I know I used a Gerber multitool or Swiss Champion on a nearly daily basis when i was in college.

I would skip the condescending "pink" stuff unless she just really digs the color. Red or black scales are always in vogue;)

Good luck!

JC972 likes this.
  10. Peter Hartwig

Peter Hartwig Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 29, 2008
    SAK's are very useful tools and should make a great gift IMO
    If you want to go a little different maybe something vintage. There is a decent amount available unused.

11. brownshoe

brownshoe I support this site with my MIND

Sep 6, 2002
    Leatherman is the best knife present for a young girl fresh out of high school.

12. katanas

katanas

Jan 6, 2012
    OK, I won't. :rolleyes: However, unless you are being a bit factitious, I think you are out of line. :thumbsdown: If you are (being factitious), and you know her favorite colors, there will be a plethora of choices. :thumbsup:

Last edited: May 10, 2019
  13. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Any Victorinox is a great choice.
    I got a Buck 110 when I graduated, but a Victorinox recruit would have been an excellent gift.

14. Dogdrawz

Dogdrawz Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 15, 2016
    You could accompany that "stabby" knife with a small can of pepper spray. It should offset the knifes' "stabbyness".

15. Bob6794

Bob6794

Apr 21, 2013
    A Victorinox Compact, all the stuff you might need in a pinch in college. Pen, knife, bottle opener, can opener, cork screw and a few other goodies.

16. sgt244

sgt244 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 15, 2010
    LOL at OP, and yes a cadet would be a great option. something small enough for her to actually put on her keychain or throw in her bag and "forget" about until she finds herself in a situation in which she needs it, then it'll be there for her...just my .02c!

17. Reitwagen

Reitwagen

Mar 2, 2009
    Capital idea! My wife likes this option better than the climber which was my first choice. It would be a good choice for someone who isn't used to carrying a pocket knife.

18. ucfgrad93

ucfgrad93

Dec 13, 2017
  19. K.O.D.

K.O.D. Water my a**! Get this guy some pepto bismol! Platinum Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Same, it was my Wenger nomad SAK. I only lived in dorms freshman year, and that was 1997. Things are different now.

I really like the super tinker as I will never use a corkscrew. The Philips head is far more useful.

brownshoe likes this.