1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Grant & Gavin Hawk MUDD AUTO?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by d2eux, Jan 23, 2018.

1. d2eux

d2eux

Oct 10, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    Korean Hog likes this.
  2. SpySmasher

SpySmasher Lead Guitar

Sep 1, 2016
    It's super cool. People will legitimately complain that it's a bit thick but I think that's the price you pay for having a closed action.

3. Mr.SATism

Mr.SATism

Jul 31, 2017
    At first, I ask myself 'why'? But then I remember this is the G&G team, so why not? It looks great (true to the design of the original MUDD) although it worries me about the toughness of 20cv vs the original cts-xhp (ahh, who am I kidding, I'm just upset it's at a higher price and jealous that they're all reserved!)

Lapedog and palonej like this.
  4. palonej

palonej Platinum Member Platinum Member

Aug 5, 2015
    I love your honesty brother!!
    I feel the same way!
    :thumbsup:
    Joe

Mr.SATism and Lapedog like this.
  5. strategy9

strategy9 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2015
    I love My older manual in elmax. I Will say w/ @SpySmasher that it is a thick knife!

But, it's a knife designed for hard use all around, and the extra heft certainly makes it feel legitimately suited for anything you might throw at it. If nothing else it adds a degree of confidence.
    [​IMG]

Mr.SATism and palonej like this.
  6. SpySmasher

SpySmasher Lead Guitar

Sep 1, 2016
    Love mine too :)

Mr.SATism likes this.
  7. BilboBaggins

BilboBaggins Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 14, 2016
    Ditto. I still want the damn auto...even though I don't like autos generally. I basically want anything ever conceived of by the Hawks.

8. Mr.SATism

Mr.SATism

Jul 31, 2017
    Have you ever used CTS-XHP? And if so, which one of the three steels would you prefer for your ideal MUDD?

9. strategy9

strategy9 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2015
    I actually preferred ELMAX for my ideal MUDD as well as green Ti, so I have my ideal MUDD...

To better answer your question though, I have used cold steel's xhp and like it a lot. Takes a fine edge well, but I would not for a second worry about a 20cv blade on this knife. It's a pretty robust blade so there's plenty of steel behind the edge for a high carbide steel... Most of the issues I've seen with 20cv/m390 blades are on thinner stock (edge chipping) and longer blades (breaks/cracks), and even on those I haven't seen it as a major recurrence in quality makers, more of an outlier that sometimes happens.
    I don't foresee either of those being of much concern on this particular knife, it's not too long and plenty thick.

Mr.SATism likes this.
  10. unwisefool

unwisefool Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Actually I think the price is pretty reasonable, less than $400

Mr.SATism likes this.
  11. d2eux

d2eux

Oct 10, 2010
    As cool as this thing is, I'm starting to get second thoughts concerned with accidental deployment in the pocket. Wish it was manual with the cool thumbstuds

12. austonh

austonh Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 26, 2012
    I enjoy my Mudd Auto. Yet to have an accidental deployment in the pocket. They made the spring on the Mudd auto stronger than the spring on the Mudd manual. Either Auto or manual, it's a cool knife.

d2eux likes this.
  13. d2eux

d2eux

Oct 10, 2010
    That's good to know! The only other downside are worrying about those pesky anti-auto knife laws

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    austonh likes this.
  14. d2eux

d2eux

Oct 10, 2010
    Any new users for the Mudd auto? G&G Hawk are sending out emails now for batch 2

15. Texan42

Texan42 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 6, 2018
    got mine!

16. Mr.HD

Mr.HD

Sep 29, 2016
    Got mine love it.

Texan42 likes this.
  17. Mcap79

Mcap79 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 6, 2019
    Anyone looking to sell their MUDD?

18. ScooterG

ScooterG You mean Ireland? Yeah, it’s mine. Gold Member

Mar 15, 2016
    No

jwh720 and Quiet like this.
  19. jwh720

jwh720 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Feb 21, 2016
    All you can haul... real cheap too... jk they pop up on the exchange once in awhile set up an alert for that thread
    0D724367-1C5A-4831-8374-822BA6657C84.jpeg

BigWillie, lzeplin and ScooterG like this.
  20. Mcap79

Mcap79 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 6, 2019
    Hahaha! That cracked me up. I will look into how to set that alert