gun safes

In your guy's opinions which gun safe is the best, or the best deal? I was at lowes and they had a stackon Brand gun safe for 299 with a 1400 degree burn rating for 30 min. But it just felt cheaply made. So i thought i would ask for some advice. Any given would be appreciated thanks.

SEMPER FI DO OR DIE
OORAH

The Stackers do seem pretty cheap. When I worked at the gun shop we had 2 enormous Liberty safes. Now they are built like tanks. Not sure of a price range on their residential models, maybe a grand or better. I have a Winchester marked safe from Sam's Club. It was 5 or $600- can't remember which. Don't know who actually makes it for them. It's a moderately big safe, 24 long guns I think. Digital pad (I can't do a combo lock to save my life). It's nothing that special but would keep out the average thief. It's hunting season, so start looking around Sam's, Dick's, etc. lots of places that don't normally stock them have them this time of year.

What is your goal? Security or fire-resistance?

Security is tough to obtain in a residential gun safe. Unless the safe is very large and very heavy and properly bolted to a foundation slab, it's just too easy to a determined thief to just cart off the whole safe and take it somewhere where he can cut it open at his leisure. Of course, any safe that is bigger than a breadbox and weighs more than fifty pounds will discourage the common casual thief. So, there are degrees of security.

I'm on an iPad right now and don't know how to copy past threads, but search for this title: Recommendation? Gun Safes.

The thread was started by timcsaw on 09-01-2011 - may just search for the threads he has started. Anyway, a lot of good information in his thread (some of my own blabbing also - feel free to take or leave). He also did a lot of research and explains why he chose what he chose. I think you'd find it very informative. Mike

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...Gun-Safes?highlight=Recommendation?+Gun+Safes

Figured it out.

Last edited:
What is your goal? Security or fire-resistance?

Security is tough to obtain in a residential gun safe. Unless the safe is very large and very heavy and properly bolted to a foundation slab, it's just too easy to a determined thief to just cart off the whole safe and take it somewhere where he can cut it open at his leisure. Of course, any safe that is bigger than a breadbox and weighs more than fifty pounds will discourage the common casual thief. So, there are degrees of security.

I guess i want to best best of both worlds, but i would sacrifice on security a little to gain more fire protection

Granite Security make a decent Safe ~~ there Safes that I like are in the 750#lb mark and are bolted to the floor and back side and one other side as they sit in a corner and both of mine have the Key and Combo and turn handle to open (use class 'A' Bolts) ~~ think the cost was around $700 as a close-out as the Sporting goods store was going out of business ~~ at that time several years ago....but I don't think you can beat them unless you go the high dollar $1,200 to $2,300 route and I have one of those for my Custom Knives and Guns that I got from a Jewelry Store as they were getting a new Safe.!

I have an old Cannon safe. It is made of 1/4" steel plate on all sides. It offers no fire protection, but I suspect that it would be a bear to get into.

Costco has a pretty good selection of safes. I looked at some the last time I was there and was somewhat surprised that they were made in China. I don't know why I was surprised.
The Chinese make everything. ;)

Costco has a pretty good selection of safes. I looked at some the last time I was there and was somewhat surprised that they were made in China. I don't know why I was surprised.
The Chinese make everything. ;)

In the case of safes, cheap steel and labor.

Buy a bigger safe than you think you need, it will fill up fast.
If you think you'll be in it often or need to get in it quickly, get a digital pad.
Two things I learned from my dealer. Hope it helps.

While drill resistance is great, a burglar with an oxy acetylene torch will simply take out a side of the safe. The best prevention is to store black powder along the sides and corners. Then post signs to that effect. Anyone stupid enough to try will get what he deserves.

The guns at least won't fall into the wrong hands...

Informational only, not recommending...

While drill resistance is great, a burglar with an oxy acetylene torch will simply take out a side of the safe.

The average residential burglar carries neither a drill nor a torch. Furthermore, the average residential burglar spends only a few minutes inside the target house.

Burglars who do some prepared for an extended visit and equipped with such tools are going to open a safe regardless of what precautions you take.

Anything is better than nothing. In my world, I would sell a nice gun to get a good safe. They are worth it.

Regarding size, get one twice as large as you think you need. My wife did not support the purchase until it was set in place. Now half of the stuff in there is hers.

Check with your accountant. If you itemize your deductions you may be able to write off all, or part of, your safe, if it is used to store TAX INFORMATION & RECORDS. The law may have changed, so do your homework. Mine stores tax information and records in case anyone asks.

I disagree on the digital keypad. I think if a casual burglar sees a digital keypad they may just try a hammer blow to see what happens. You get stuck with the bill. A combination looks much more foreboding and I feel much less likely to be tampered with. A combination lock is more hassle to open.

Make sure you have the ability to get power inside the safe before you set it in place. Mine had a small hole through the back of the safe. I threaded a stripped extension cord through it and then repaired the plug end. You will need a goldenrod for moisture protection. Mine is 25 years old and going strong.

If in the basement, I would also raise it up off the floor on a few solid 6x6" just in case the water heater blows or you have ground water seep into the basement. Mine is up 8" and bolted to the concrete wall.

I like the "this safe contains gunpowder" sign idea. I may add that today.

Good Luck.

I respectfully disagree about electrical power into the safe. One of the common reasons for having a residential safe is fire protection. Electricity is a leading cause of fires. It seems to me like wiring electrical power into the safe is like letting the fox into the hen house.

True, but I need a source of heat to keep the moisture out. I figure the 5 watt heater is a non issue as I have never heard of a failure on any kind. There is nothing in the safe that can directly contact the goldenrod De-humidifer. The power cord is heavy duty, 14 ga. and there is a grommet protecting it where it enters the safe. It is plugged into a GFI outlet. I am far less worried about an electrical fire in a fireproof, air tight safe, than I am with all the cords, appliances, and outlets in my non fireproof house that is worth hundreds of times more than my guns.

Last edited:
I respectfully disagree about electrical power into the safe. One of the common reasons for having a residential safe is fire protection. Electricity is a leading cause of fires. It seems to me like wiring electrical power into the safe is like letting the fox into the hen house.

If the outlet inside the safe is not installed properly it could allow entrance of heat from an exterior fire even if the safe is 'fireproof.' However, I have had a Goldenrod plugged in in my safe for 20 years with no problems at all. It still works fine too.

In response to the comment about keeping moisture out of the safe, electrical fires and the such, most reputable safe manufacturers ship their safes with 1 or more large dessicant bags inside the safe already. This is an inexpensive and safe way to control moisture within the safe. Furthermore, if you keep the safe inside your home, the normal humidity levels inside the house are fairly low, unless you live on the water and like your windows open.

That being said, try Costco, Sams and some of the other discount wherehouses. Check their online catalogs especially. Many of the gun safe companies have special offerings that they supply to these retailers. Oftentimes, they offer free delivery which most smaller safe dealers do not. Try to calculate the delivery charges on a 500# safe! You can get a nice Canon, Browning, Winchester etc. for far less than many other places. Good luck.

Back