Handle Dressings

I'm looking for some ideas for dressing the handle on my new BK9. I love the handle size and shape, but it's a bit slippery for my liking. As I am not fond of tape on knife handles, I was wondering what the rest of you put on your handles (if indeed anything at all).

Thanks.

Hey Raskolnikov...

There are basically two major schools of thought on handle surfaces... ..At one extreme is the make it so sticky, rough, textured, what have you that the blade will NEVER come loose....Then there are those in the design the handle right and ytou can have a surface smooth enough that you will not raise blisters and hot spots when chopping with bare hands (I ALWAYS try to wear leather gloves) ........I usually live in the"I really do not want blisters in the woods camp".....The world famous Will Fennell and the redoubtable Anthony Lombardo dipped a BECKER knife handle in transmission fluid and both then repeatedly stabbed a large tree with the knife and had ZERO problems with slippage.... Both are stout well muscled (OR WERE THEN) gents so I suggest that you spend a little time afield with your NINE before expending a bunch of effort.....Having said all this and having had no field problems myself...Has anyone got a story?????.....I want to thank you for your purchase and hope your NINE works well for you!!!!.....

All Best....

ethan

Ive done a good bit of work with my bk7 in and around water and never had any problems . My particular bk7 is a cammilus one and ive noticed that the handles never absorb water that ive been able to tell. Micarta on the other hand are more durable but can compromise your grip when wet because of the semi absorbment materiel collects all assorted grime natural oil from your hand exc.I noticed these things while rappeling down the side of some water falls when my rope was tangled in rhododendron . The becker handles always handle much the same wet or dry but micarta can get greasy if not cleaned . g10 in my experience does well in wet or dry depending on its finish. In my experience the less absorbent the handle slabs are and the quality of the ergos are. The better it will be to hold onto my knife in messy circumstances. thanks Ethan for all your thought and work.

Ethan and gutsy,

Thanks so much for your insight on the handle materials. I've been used to using a Micarta-handled knife for a while now, which is perhaps why I found the BK9's handle so smooth by comparison upon my initial impression.

I was able to take it out for a bit of a test drive today, splitting up some Black Locust logs and then processing the pieces into tent stakes and trap triggers all with the BK9 (and a baton). I had complete control and great dexterity with the knife at all times using a variety of grips (both gloved and without gloves). As I used it, the feeling that I got was that every aspect of the knife was very thoughtfully incorporated into the design, and I especially appreciated the highly raised thumb ramp while whittling. I can't wait to take this afield; it's a burly, comfortable, carbon steel bruiser at a very affordable price - everything that I enjoy in a good fixed blade.

As an aside, I'm very happy that you were able to strike a deal with Kabar to have some of the BK line in production again. The Camillus versions had stopped being produced just before I had begun to broaden my blade "palate" and I had regretted not buying one the more that I had heard/read about them.

Hey Guys....

Thanks for your input Gutsy, I have very little "dirt time" with anything in G10 and your observations are noted with thanks.....

Raskolnikov....Thank You for your kind words about the test drive of your NINE...I am glad that you are enjoying one of my babies....I too like Micarta as a handle material and always think of it as a "premium" slab material....I have a bunch of blades that use it and find it great stuff......I started my Knife nuttery when the choices tended to be real cheap plastic, bone, stag, and wood.....all pretty delicate...Now of course we have a LOT of great choices...YEAH....

All Best....

ethan

Hey Guys....

Thanks for your input Gutsy, I have very little "dirt time" with anything in G10 and your observations are noted with thanks.....

Raskolnikov....Thank You for your kind words about the test drive of your NINE...I am glad that you are enjoying one of my babies....I too like Micarta as a handle material and always think of it as a "premium" slab material....I have a bunch of blades that use it and find it great stuff......I started my Knife nuttery when the choices tended to be real cheap plastic, bone, stag, and wood.....all pretty delicate...Now of course we have a LOT of great choices...YEAH....

All Best....

ethan

I've been using my BK-9 for over 4 years now and have never had a problem with the handle. I actually prefer smooth handles on my knives and am very glad that the Beckers are smooth. Got blisters from using my Micarta handled knives but never from my BK-9. :)

Not saying I won't buy more knives with Micarta handles, I actually plan to, but when I do I'll make sure to smooth their handles out. Grip shape is more important then the texture to me. And Mr. Becker did it right!!

Heber

I never had occasion to use the smaller piggyback blade as the BK9 handled everything from the chopping and splitting down to the notching and whittling with ease.
24v19c6.jpg

21b9ont.jpg

w8rjx0.jpg

16icfx5.jpg

Yeah, I'd need a bigger log in practice for that size trigger, but that's the largest that I had lying around the back of the house.

Looking good!! Thanks for the pictures. I love seeing good knives used. Looks like it handled everything you asked of it very well, which doesn't supprise me. The BK-9 is a great knife. I've split wood, chopped branches, dug out weeds and cut food with mine and it still asks for more. Thanks again for the pictures!!

Heber

what about cutting a length of inner tube (bicycle) and trying to slide it over the handle? that way it would be more grippy but a reversible mod? just my .02

16icfx5.jpg

Yeah, I'd need a bigger log in practice for that size trigger, but that's the largest that I had lying around the back of the house.

sorry, mine's not a becker in this photo... but i LOVE triggers :)

80898705_CKogF-L-1.jpg

hee hee hee

Bladite

You could try that plasti-coat stuff you can get at the hardware store. I just dipped a machete handle in that stuff and it works like a champ. If you get tired of it or want to try something else, just a straight line the length of it with a razorblade and peel it right off. Pretty good stuff in my opinion. I think it costs like $5.

What i want to know is how impact resistant cammilus and ka bar handles are ! One day i will find some replacement slabs and see.

:mad:Plasti coat comes in booger sized rolls, I tried it on a vertical grip. Do you have any tips on prep? I went another route with a triangular file.
100_0018.jpg
[/IMG]

sorry, mine's not a becker in this photo... but i LOVE triggers :)

80898705_CKogF-L-1.jpg

hee hee hee

Bladite[/QUOTE]

Hey Bladite, what kind/style of blade is that in your photo?

what about cutting a length of inner tube (bicycle) and trying to slide it over the handle? that way it would be more grippy but a reversible mod? just my .02

I've heard good things about two strategies: (1) Some folks have sand blasted the scales with good results. (2) Others have gone the inner tube route mentioned above.

I like the inner tubes. They provide good grip, make the scales a little "softer" in terms of feel, and they can even be roughed up a little with sandpaper for even more grip.

Word to the wise: When stretching a length of inner tube onto a handle, leave the knife in the sheath.

I've even tried inner tube on a couple of my micarta handled Beckers (mountain bike sized tube):

UsersStump2.jpg

Road bike tubes work great on Moras:

MoraTube.jpg

Edited to add:

In my wife's "trunk" backpack (basically a bug out bag) is a BK-7 with the standard scales and an inner tube addition. I'll try to snap a pic of it when I get a chance.

Last edited:
Tactical tubing, It's not just for holding pressure switches on vert grips anymore!:D

Back