1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has the Al Mar Ultralight line been discontinued?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by jlomein, Jul 12, 2018 at 5:34 PM.

1. jlomein

jlomein

Apr 27, 2009
    I'm looking for an AL Mar Ultralight Falcon and noticed it's out of stock everywhere I've seen. Anyone know where to get one?

2. LastRodeo

LastRodeo Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 2, 2013
    They must be discontinued,. I saw some on the website of a non BF dealer, but I can't post that here and I can't message you.

3. TheEdge01

TheEdge01

Apr 3, 2015
    Don’t get me wrong, Al Mar makes great knives. When considering their prices, materials used, and most of their designs seem very basic, I don’t know how they stay in business.

Somi likes this.
  4. LastRodeo

Nov 2, 2013
    That could be said about a lot brands. The heart wants what the heart wants. I have a few Al Mar knives that I was fortunately to buy second hand at a considerable discount from the retail price. They are among among my favorite knives.

5. jlomein

jlomein

Apr 27, 2009
    Comments like these come up on many Al Mar threads, and they're certainly valid points. That said, there's little competition for slender, lightweight gentleman's folders with impeccable fit and finish that include a pocket clip. Very few have such a basic yet classy look to them.

steff27 and Lapedog like this.
  6. Professor

Professor Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 6, 1999
    I get that these are valid points when considering materials, but how about the fit and finish? Not playing devil's advocate here at all, just asking. In the few years that I've been admiring sharp objects, inclusive of when Al Mar was alive, his designs have always seemed ergonomic, well executed, and elegant from a fit and finish and ergonomic standpoint. Moreso than some more recent manufacturers. Have things changed of late?

Lapedog likes this.
  7. LastRodeo

Nov 2, 2013
    Fit & finish. Pretty good. Comparable to Moki, I would guess they are made by the same shop.

IMG_20180712_190552_kindlephoto-54070516.jpg

mdrgn79 and Somi like this.
  8. TheEdge01

TheEdge01

Apr 3, 2015
    I used to own the Nomad, and it was one of my all time favorite knives. I’m also a fan of VG10 as well. I certainly wasn’t knocking Al Mar, I love the brand and would hate to see them go under. I just see what other brands have to offer in their line up and wonder. Your observation is probably the answer to my question.

9. brownshoe

brownshoe I support this site with my MIND

Sep 6, 2002
    I believe they are a Moki-made product. I think they were out of production for awhile, but I've seen more recently.

10. Planterz

Planterz Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2004
    Moki makes the ones you see now. I can't speak for the older knives, except that Benchmade made autos for them for a time (since it's illegal to import switchblades, they had to use an American manufacturer).

I've been reading scuttlebutt recently about the company currently going through legal and/or ownership issues, or something like that. I don't know if the specifics are publicly known. We can probably assume that's why their knives are out of stock from dealers. It could be that they're not currently having anything produced. Hopefully whatever it is gets resolved soon.

11. Ourorboros

Ourorboros

Jan 23, 2017
    Ergonomic and elegant designs usually do seem basic. Turns out odd angles and embellishments don't help with basic function at all.
    For heavier work I'd like a fuller grip, but that's not what the designs are about at all.

That elegant simplicity, that curve from the start of the clip to the butt of the handle can be found from G Sakai's Aida to Le Thiers knives to the Fox Elite Folder. It just works.

IIRC, the early Al Mars were made by G Sakai. It makes sense, the "G" in G Sakai stood for Gerber. Back when Gerber made quality knives G Sakai made many of them and Al Mar worked for Gerber before going out on his own. Then he switched to Moki.
    I don't think new Al Mars have been made for a while though.

LastRodeo, mdrgn79, steff27 and 2 others like this.
  12. Lapedog

Lapedog Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2016
    I feel like a Jackass for not getting one of these. Like an idiot I assumed Al Mar was always going to be around. The prices always seemed a little high to me for what you get.

I only now realize I need one.

13. SpyderPhreak

SpyderPhreak Rocketman for hire Platinum Member

Apr 13, 2004
  14. Art_Vandeley

Art_Vandeley

Jul 22, 2009
    On of my main edc knives is a Al Mar Ultralight Hawk. I love that knife to bits. its so well made and it functions perfect as a EDC. I gotta get the Eagle before they dissapear for good. Al Mar has made a LOT of knives, fixed and folding. Some really awesome stuff like the Green Beret or the Packrat.

15. Hackenslash

Hackenslash Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Nemesis Knives has an agreement with Al Mar’s estate to produce some Al Mar designs in modern materials. They’re called the MPR (Mar Private Reserve). So far they’ve released two models with a third scheduled by end of year.
    8720C38D-A0F0-47B3-B371-CD0A329C9697.jpeg

Lapedog and mdrgn79 like this.
  16. MSchott

MSchott Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2017
  17. jlomein

jlomein

Apr 27, 2009
    I believe I've now found the reason these knives are disappearing. Apparently the wife of the late Mr. Mar is in a court battle with the primary shareholder of Al Mar Knives. I'm guessing this means new production of these out of stock knives is unlikely. Sad to hear but seems like the company Al Mar Knives has some management problems.

Copied text (can't post link to non-sponsor vendor):

18. Lapedog

Dec 7, 2016
    I’ve been meaning to get one of these Nemesis versions. They look way less public friendly though.

I believe Al Mar’s website still has some Ultralites in stock but the price is high. I do wish that they were built with screwed construction though.

Edit: Seems like my local store has a Nemesis mpr1 in stock. I think I know what my next knife will be.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018 at 3:03 PM
  19. Pilsner

Pilsner Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 28, 2017
    I just can’t justify paying, for example, $435 for a SERE 2000, much as I would love to own that historic piece. That is the price in the UK. I’d buy a CRK first. Sad to hear that they have these misfortunes, as the knives are beautiful.

20. Lapedog

Dec 7, 2016
    Since the ultralight series is built with a pinned construction, even the pivot; is it possible to tighten a loose pivot by hitting the side of the pivot with a rubber mallet?