Has the BK9 changed at all?

Hi folks, I’ve got my Grail Knives List for 2021, and this year a BK9 tops it. I’m in the process of going through the vids and other reviews out there, and I’ve got kind of a dumb question. Has the Ka-Bar-produced model changed any since it was first introduced? Basically, if I read a review from 2014, is it still the same knife as one from 2020?

They used to be roll stamped, but now are laser engraved. Only difference I know of. Talking about the KA-BAR era.

Great choice, btw, awesome blade. :thumbsup:

They used to be roll stamped, but now are laser engraved. Only difference I know of. Talking about the KA-BAR era.

Great choice, btw, awesome blade. :thumbsup:

And the laser engraving is a functional/reliability improvement.
My general feeling is that Ka-Bar has only gotten better and better at the Becker lineup over time. I would prefer the latest run over older batches in every instance unless I was intentionally collecting old stuff (not my bag, but many here can and do).

I think there were some slight changes to the blade profile over time in relation to grind height and swedges (or not) but, for the most part, nothing in the past several years.

There's no reason to change anything....unless.....we could have a full height flat grind....convexed.

Thanks a lot. I’ve gotten the impression that Ka-Bar generally takes an “if it ain’t broke” approach to the Beckers.

The only "negative" with the etch over the stamp is that if you intend to strip the blade coating and want to retain the etch, you need to acid/electro-etch the laser etch deeper BEFORE stripping the coating.

A simple acid etch is to use the circuit board etching solution from Radio Shack, making multiple swabs at it over time.

A simple electro-etch can be rigged up using a 6V battery, some wire, alligator clips and Q-tips with a salt/vinegar/water solution. There's a couple of threads on here about how to rig it up.

The only "negative" with the etch over the stamp is that if you intend to strip the blade coating and want to retain the etch, you need to acid/electro-etch the laser etch deeper BEFORE stripping the coating.

A simple acid etch is to use the circuit board etching solution from Radio Shack, making multiple swabs at it over time.

A simple electro-etch can be rigged up using a 6V battery, some wire, alligator clips and Q-tips with a salt/vinegar/water solution. There's a couple of threads on here about how to rig it up.

I think I’ll be keeping the coating, but now I wanna try etching something on something. I’m sure I’ve got an old Mora around here somewhere . . . .

Here's a quick and simple way to electro-etch with just a 9v battery, wires, and salt water.

Youtube has several more complex how-to vids. Some add Vinegar to the solution. Some use 12v DC or AC wall converters or Car Battery Chargers. AC current supposed etches faster/deeper/darker.

Again, if you want to keep the original logos, you need to do this BEFORE stripping off the coating.

Back