• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Heat Treating for Oil Hardening Steels

Darrin Sanders

Knifemaker
I've decided to start heat treating blades again. This is mainly to help hobbyists who don't have the equipment to do it themselves. If you have large batches you're better off sending them to Peters, Bos, etc.. but if you just have a blade or two I may be able to save you a few bucks. I will only do oil hardening steels and nothing over 12" total length. Pricing will be $10 per blade + $10 return shipping. For example, 3 blades will be $40 total. Mixed batches are fine and do NOT cost extra. I will only accept cash as payment, no checks or money orders. As far as turnaround, I H/T on Sat. so anything recieved by Noon Sat. will be headed back on the following Monday. Your blades will be done one at a time in a digitally controlled electric furnace and quenched in a commercial quenchant rated for the quench speed that best fits the requirements for your specific steel. In short, I will treat your blades the exact same way I treat my own. I also have a hardness tester to insure hardness within 1 point on the Rockwell C scale. If you decide to send some blades here is the best way to handle it.
1. Mark each blade with its steel type and target hardness.
2. Write me a note including your name, address, Tel.#, & email. You can also add any other info. you deem necessary.
3. Put the note and the cash in a seperate envelope. The envelope is important and helps me keep from getting things mixed up.
4. Put the envelope in the package with the blades.
5. Send the package to;

Darrin Sanders
564 Paulk Rd.
Jonesville, LA 71343

This is awesome. Thank you. I guess now it's time for me to start making some of my ideas for knives and send them to you to harden. I'll definitely be in touch when I finish them :)

This sounds great, might be using your services soon as I am not sure how well I am doing with my homemade forge and a professional heat treatment sounds nice. Is it better to send to a bigger place if we have over 5 blades?

I can do as many blades as you wanna send. You'll just have to figure out which service gives you the best bang for your buck. My price is the same per blade whether you send 1 or 100 and other services give quantity discounts. Keep in mind that other services may charge extra for mixed batches of steels but I don't.

Great to read this Darrin! The quality of your custom HT service being available again to folks running smaller/amateur shops will be sincerely appreciated.

BTW I have started in on that box-o-bodark you sent last month. Yeah buddy...nice stuff and thanks again!:thumbup:

Thank you Darrin! I just received a couple more blades you heat treated for me and I cant say enough about the Quality of your heat treat.They clean up so easy !

So glad you offer this service. I am new to this forum and knife making as well. I have 2 blades (O1) that I plan to ship to you very soon.

Hey Darrin. I've got a blade coming your way! I unfortunately won't make the Saturday cut (expected Mon, Tues next week) but looking forward to what you can do with my knife!

As a note, it's my first knife and would love some feedback/criticism when you get it.

It is also a 1095 steel, I don't think I mentioned that in the package.

Thanks! If you have any questions let me know.

Best,

Phil

Are you still offering your services Darrin? Working on my first two knives and looking to figure out who I'm going to send them to when I'm ready.

Back