1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 29 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Ron Flaherty Folder , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Heat treating survival knife best steel.

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by SpookStrickland, Jul 23, 2014.

1. SpookStrickland

SpookStrickland

Sep 27, 2012
    I had a thought the other day that in a survival situation you might have to heat up your blade to cauterize a wound or maybe you accidentally drop it in the fire. What type of steel would still be tough enough to sustain you in a survival situation after it has lost it's heat treat? which steel would be the worst?

2. Big Mike

Big Mike

Aug 30, 2006
    You have to reach the temper temp to effect the HT.

Most blades take limited exposure to campfire temps without damage.

If you get it hotter then the temper temp it will start loosing some hardness, but it won't just loose it's HT.

Big Mike

3. amg137

amg137

Sep 21, 2013
    Just don't heat it for a long time, or stick it in the coals. Pretty much any steel can sustain a little heat, but you really don't want to get them red hot or anything.

4. 2 shot

2 shot Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Use something else that is metal to cauterize a wound, I think the temp would be too high to not affect heat treat on a blade.

5. pachiderm

pachiderm

Mar 25, 2014
    Cauterization is absolutely a last ditch way of stopping bleeding, and should only be done in extreme circumstances when direct pressure or a pressure dressing fail. Burning your skin to close a wound might stop the wound from bleeding, but now you have a burn instead of an open wound, and burns carry a much higher risk of infection than lacerations do.

6. Big Mike

Big Mike

Aug 30, 2006
    Clotting compounds and compression bandages are readily available these days, and I carry both when doing work that requires axes, machetes, chainsaws, and such.

As stated, cauterization is really a last ditch effort, at that point the final state of the knife would be of minimal concern to me.

Big Mike

7. mtangent

mtangent

Dec 6, 2011
    Rambo used gunpowder instead of a hot knife.

The advice you have been given is spot on, but to answer your question- hot work tool steel.
    These are steels that take a HT, & hold it at relatively high temps. Most knives are made from cold work steels.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  8. Bo T

Bo T

Feb 12, 2011
    S7 is a really good choice.

9. presz

presz

Nov 12, 2005
    T-type and M-type tool steels are safe up to or exceeding 760 °C (1,400 °F).

10. SpookStrickland

SpookStrickland

Sep 27, 2012
    This is what I'm after. Any common knives made of this or would I have to get a custom made one?

thanks.

11. Rasco

Rasco

Jan 3, 2014
    LOSE is spelled with 1 "O"
    I know this is a dickheaded way of trying to help you, but maybe next time you attempt to spell LOSE, you'll remember this comment.
    Maybe.

12. SpookStrickland

SpookStrickland

Sep 27, 2012
    oh and how much could a buck 110 take heat wise and how bad would it be after. I'm asking this because it is know that the heat treat is very important to the importance of buck steels great performance. Kind of hypothetical doomsday type questions but something that could happen or need to be done in a survival situation.

13. james terrio

james terrio Sharpest Knife in the Light Socket

Apr 15, 2010
    It's a question about a "problem" that doesn't really exist. You're going to have to try pretty hard and spend a good deal of time to seriously temper back an entire blade in a campfire/"survival situation". You'd likely burn/melt the handle off before that happens.

Do you really want to be cauterizing a wound with red-hot steel anyway? Even if it worked to stop the bleeding, you realize you'd end up with one helluva burn, right? ... and burns are about the easiest thing to get infected in the boonies.

So the short answer is, don't worry about it. The slightly longer answer is, don't leave your knife in the fire.

14. Smokinape

Smokinape

Jan 21, 2011
    Right

15. SpookStrickland

SpookStrickland

Sep 27, 2012
    I know it's just hypothetical and cauterization was just what came to my mind first. I'm just wondering what steel is naturally stronger and holds an edge better when you take the heat treat out of the equation. I was thinking that steel might make the best "long term" survival knife.

16. underdog406

underdog406

Aug 28, 2012
    High speed steels like M2 or CPM-M4 that have a high amount of W (Tungsten) in it should hold the temper at high heat, but with high amounts of W or V, sharpening in the woods w/o some kind of decent stone would be a challenge in itself.

But I'm sleep deprived so better take it with a dash of salt.

17. TheJeepster

TheJeepster Banned BANNED

May 10, 2014
    Jeeps Rule!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  18. underdog406

underdog406

Aug 28, 2012
    On second thought, if the wound is bad enough that have to be cauterized, chances are you'll likely going to bleed out before collecting the mats needed for a fire, start a fire and put your knife in the fire long enough to effect the HT.

19. RWT

RWT

Mar 15, 2011
    If it is that bad use your belt buckle. Your likely to bleed out before you get the fire started anyway.

20. Big Mike

Big Mike

Aug 30, 2006

Thanks, that really added a lot to this discussion. :rolleyes:

And YES, I agree with your assessment of your actions. :eek:

Big Mike