1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. CONTEST IS NOW CLOSED! Live stream of the winners being picked: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ6xurJWkhs

Hey folks! We're having a Becker Giveaway over in the Giveaway forum, check it out and have a chance to win a free Becker 4 Machax, Becker 5 Magnum Camp, or Becker 15 Short Trailing Point!

Heat treating throwing knives 13" and 13 oz, will be just steel with no handle

Discussion in 'Throwing Knives & Knife Throwing' started by skmd11, Oct 27, 2016.

1. skmd11

skmd11

Oct 27, 2016
    I have made a few basic blades for throwing. The knife is 13' and 13 ounces, will be just steel.
    Should I harden the complete blade or just the tip? I am thinking heat treating the complete knife may make the whole blade too brittle.

skmd11

2. pwest

pwest

Apr 10, 2013
  3. P.Brewster

P.Brewster

Jul 25, 2007
    Complete blade. When you do spot hardening, you get a transition from hard to soft. You will inevitably get a kink (bend) at that transition.

One thing you can do is fully harden the knife, then do a differential temper (with a torch) to draw down the body a bit.

So a transition from hard to soft will give you a bent knife, but a transition from hard to slightly-less-hard will be fine.