Help! 2020 forum knife horn cover is curling

Misplaced Hillbilly

Gold Member
Thanks for all the input thus far. Going on the surmise that it dried out I gave it a good coat of light oil and put it in a ziploc bag. The way I figure it is that if it rehydrates and goes back then great, but if not I can still try heat and clamping. Most likely to try that with the cover removed. I'll keep y'all posted👍

Misplaced Hillbilly

Gold Member
Well so far an oil bath hasn't seemed to do anything but make it oily lol. However there doesn't seem to be as much oil in the bag as this morning 🤔
Perhaps tomorrow I'll try hot water and clamps👍

meako

Gold Member
When I say clamping i mean more like gently squeezing...🤙

jlauffer

Tempt not the Blade
Platinum Member
Found this while looking for something else. Any update?

Last edited:
If it were mine as others have said contact the maker they may even replace the scale,if not I would scrape pencil lead into Jb weld until I matched the scale and fill the gap

Misplaced Hillbilly

Gold Member
I was just going to link my thread to this.

I managed to get mine back flat after following advice given in this thread.
That's good news👍 I still haven't gotten mine flat, I tried boiling it then clamping but I dont think I boild it long enough. I may give it another go sometime this week.

huntnfishin

Gold Member
As Will suggested, my first course of action before trying any home remedies would be to contact the maker. If they can't offer a DIY plan, maybe they will fix it for you. Worth a shot.
And as David mentioned ... re-cover with wood or bone or something. A re-cover with horn might have the same thing happen again in time.
I'm leery of all horn except those makers who use horn tips. Solid horn tips aren't pressed or pinned flat like the hollow parts of horn during process. So tips are always installed in a more natural state.
I learn something new here all the time. Thanks for posting that.

draggat

Gold Member
Sorry to hear about your curling horn! Let us know if you are able to resolve the issue. I recently moved to a much drier area and have taken to occasionally treating all of my horn knives with a nice rub down of lanolin. Haven't seen any problems yet but it's only been a year. Good luck!

EngrSorenson

Gold Member
Wow, I learned something new today… I might abstain from rams horn in the future! Hope you get it fixed, buddy.

Horsewright

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I use lots of sheep horn in my knives. And have for many years. I have had some curl back like that. None since I went to putting liners under the horn.

Lf9tPAz.jpg

Course that won't help ya any. If the diy ideas don't help ya any I'd sure contact the maker. Might of been overheated when sanding flat too ya never know really. Kinda the fun and the frustration sometimes of working with natural materials.