Help me with my folder pattern.

I figure this is the right forum for having a folder pattern/design reviewed for constructive criticism. I'm fixing to build two of these with Devin Thomas raindrop pattern damascus blades and ladder pattern bolsters. It's all high contrast damascus so I'm considering having it all hot blued. Lemme know what you think, good or bad. Any changes that I need to make to it before I build them?? http://members.aol.com/l6steel/folderpattern.jpg

------------------
Take care!! Michael
jesus.jpg

Always think of your fellow knife makers as partners in the search for the perfect blade, not as people trying to compete with you and your work!
http://www.nebsnow.com/L6steel
Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms!!!

Looks good! I would add a finger groove or something to the front of the handle, maybe like the Point Guard or Ares has, for a little bit more secure grip. I'm sure the knives will be beautiful. Post pics when they're done!

------------------
Jason aka medusaoblongata
-----------------------
"Is not giving a need? Is not receiving mercy?" - Thus Spoke Zarathustra
"Cutting his throat is only a momentary pleasure and is bound to get you talked about." - Lazarus Long
"Knowledge is not made for understanding; it is made for cutting." - Michel Foucault

L6,

Looks great, I would add more of a finger guard. I would also drop the butt of the handle a bit for a more comfortable grip. What type of blade grind are you doing. Hollow or flat?? Would u use a thumb wheel as the opening method?? Also longer bolsters look better than short ones. I would love to see the finish product.

Liong

------------------
Follow The Path of Fantasies.

The blades are hollow ground and I had enough raindrop left to make some thumb discs with. Thanks for the input guys!!

Michael,

What's the pointy thing on the butt of the handle...looks dangerous. I think that I wouldn't want that on a folder or fixed for that matter...I'd probably poke myself.

Personally, I would probably beef up the handle in the butt to give a better grip and give a little curve along the top to make it fit the palm better. It might also be a little to wide near the guard for me.

I do like the blade shape...a nice healthy clip point.

What scales are you looking to put on it?

Jeff Jenness

Mike, I like more curves than straight lines on my knives, as well as knives that swell towards the butt rather than narrow. That pointy "skull crusher" on th end does nothing for me, but I do agree with Jeff that it looks dangerous for whoever would carry it. In any case I think that dropping the butt would add to the looks of the knife and probably make it more comfortable in the hand.

------------------
"Will work 4 Knives!"
My PhotoPoint Site

I've not been fortunate enough to see any where near as much damascus steel as I would like to. A bit of what I saw was blued, and gorgeous. I think it is important that the steel be high contrast for blueing, and since you said yours is, I'd go for it.

I like your design, though agree the point at the rear may be a little extreme. But wasn't sure whether you just wanted comments on bluing or the design.

I'm sure it will be well done. I've only seen a couple of your knives on the forum, and it is evident you do top-level work. As someone else already said, be sure to let us see the results, please.

------------------
Asi es la vida

Bugs

Back