Help with older model 1

I have my grandpa's Randall model 1-8 in a HH Heisen sheath. He was in the service from 46-77. I was hoping to figure out a little more information about it. The sheath is missing a snap and the stone is gone. The blade is in ok shape. Would it be bad to clean it up and use it as a camping/pack knife or better to keep as is? If better to keep it as is I would likely have a shadowbox made for it and his 1911.

Trying to figure out how to add pictures

Buck3, you need to be a paid member to post photos here. The HH Heiser sheathes were phased out by Randall around 1961. The knife is only original once. It's generally better to not clean it up. It likely has collector value that would be decreased substantially if cleaned, and there are many high quality camp pack knives available that might be better suited for your intended task. As a tribute to your grandpa, a shadowbox sounds like a wonderful idea. Stones can be replaced, as can some snaps. email a few clear, high quality photos to - swickersham at sbcglobal dot net and I'll tell you what I think.

Announcement Photo.jpg

Photos received, email responded to. Nice, well used Korean War era Randall Model #1-8 'All-Purpose Fighting Knife' with stacked leather Commando shaped handle. I'd leave it as is and shadowbox it as a tribute to your Grandfather.

Do we get to see the pictures? While it's true he needs to be a paying member to attach photos to a post, one can always use imgur or some other photo posting board to post a link.

If Melvin-Purvis has the ability to post them, please feel free to do so. I tried and cannot seem to make it work.

You can use a photo hosting service like imgur. There's a guide for how to do it hanging around these forums somewhere. If I manage to find it I'll link it here.

Here's a really easy way to upload an image;

https://imgbb.com/upload

1. Click that link and then drag and drop or use the 'browse from your computer' link on that page.
2. Choose the 'Don't auto delete' option then click the upload upload button.
3. On the next page The drop down for 'Embed Codes' lets you choose which code you want to paste into your post. Choose 'BBCode thumbnail link'.
4. The window below will allow you to click a 'Copy' button, or you can highlight to copy. Paste the full line of code into your post.
5. Post your reply. The thumbnail is then clickable and will open up a new browser window with the full image. You can see the result by clicking on the thumbnail below this.

Very nice old knife. My model 1 also has the commando shaped stacked leather handle.

Back