Votes: 3 33.3%
  • #3 Hunter 6" in Stainless

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Don't take either of the two

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters

ewantit

Gold Member
It had to be a Randall, but which to choose? All day hiking excursions in northern Michigan / Upper Peninsula. Rain, sun or snow - still exploring the wilderness. Some overnight camping possible. Randall #23 Gamemaster with carbon blade or 6" SS #3 Hunter. Want to make memories with a dedicated companion at my side. Not sure what tasks come to mind in the great wilderness, but never want to be lacking a good knife.

knife.jpg

The 3-6 for sure,of the two.
But take the 23 anyway,as backup,or give to someone that goes with you.:thumbsup:

Will you be taking an axe or saw as well, or will you need your knife to process firewood?

Interesting bit of Randall Made trivia. The sheath maker (in this case Sullivan's Holster Shop) sets the stone pocket snap before sending the sheaths on to RMK. RMK then sets the keeper strap for the individual knife before sending it out (so yes, they've all been in the sheath at least once or twice) - on January 1st, 1995 the logo snap shown in the photo above was introduced; hybrid sheaths with both snaps continued to be sold through 1995 until existing sheath stock on hand was exhausted.

Either knife is a fine choice. The biggest consideration for me would be which steel I wanted to take.

If you want to make memories take the carbon steel one. It will take some effort to care for it. It will have patina when you get home.

If you want low maintenance while you are in the woods go stainless. But it will come back still looking new.

The one concern is which knife presents as less threatening to those who pass by or come in contact with me on the trails (even though it’s in a sheath). I’ve seriously considering forcing a patina on the carbon blade to make it a better contender VS stainless. I agree the carbon steel shows more character after a lifetime of use. Originally, I was on the side of the #3, but starting to think the #23 may be a good way to go. I have a chance to buy the below at a good price, but not sure I’m happy with the balance with the heavy pommel.
698EC91D-7240-471B-88BD-58B32EFE8C39.jpg

They both seem large for a general hiking knife. To me something like a #26-4 is a better size for general duties. The #23 is a great knife, but the deeper blade makes it harder for delicate work.

Ewantit,I feel the brass pommel would make for a too heavy handle on the 5-5 pictured.
I had a 5-6 in the same setup and didnt like the weight or the balance.
The 5-5 would be worse simply due to the shorter blade.
I was going to send my 5-6 back to have an alloy pommel fitted,but ended up trading for a Bradford Angier type,much better.
Eveled makes a good point in regards to the steel choice.
My old 5-6 stainless is showing plenty of scratches,but still looks somewhat new compared to my 01 5-6 the same age.

They both seem large for a general hiking knife. To me something like a #26-4 is a better size for general duties. The #23 is a great knife, but the deeper blade makes it harder for delicate work.
I think they are too small for me, but I do reside in TEXAS, lol! In fact, I'm thinking of wearing my Bark River Shining Mountain Bowie on one of my camping days, let's see what other campers think about THAT!🤣

Back