1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hinderer Tri-Way :: PB and teflon washers backwards compatible?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by CarbonMicarta, Aug 12, 2018.

Tags:
  1. CarbonMicarta

CarbonMicarta

Aug 12, 2018
    Hi everyone!

New member here. Just recently got into knives and got bitten by the bug real bad so figured I'd sign up here. Great place you have!

I thought I'd start up with a question that might have been answered before, but I couldn't find anything about it. I know that the bearings on the new Hinderers aren't possible to use with the "older" non tri-way models, but what about the pb and teflon washers? Are they the same size as before? I have a couple of tri-way Hinderers heading my way and figured that the teflon and pb washers could be great to have as spares for my other XM18s.
    I also have an older 3" model that never seems to want to break in so I figured it would be cool to try some polished pb washers to see if it would run smoother.

2. unwisefool

unwisefool Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2007
    I don't believe so, I think the washers are the same thickness as the bearings, so there is not enough clearance on the older knives

3. YPR

YPR

Aug 12, 2018
    Yes you can use the spare pb and teflon washers on your older gen hinderers. The prototype had thick washers, the production triway has the same thickness with titanium spacers.

I'd like to try out the pb on my half track, just to see if it makes a difference.

115Italian likes this.
  4. WValtakis

WValtakis Gold Member Gold Member

May 29, 2004
    Nevermind...

~Chip

5. brandoak

brandoak Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 1, 2015
    You can use the PB washers that came from a Tri-way 18 on another non-tri 18. There is a spacer provided with the TW system that goes in place of the bearing if you choose to use the nylon or pb washers.
    In other words, you have to use the spacer on a TW18 in conjunction with nylon or pb washers. The PB washers that come with the TW18 will fit or replace the nylons on another non TW18.

BigKurtHaze likes this.
  6. CarbonMicarta

CarbonMicarta

Aug 12, 2018
    Thank you so much guys! Great info. Looking forward to playing around with the pb washers on my other Hinderers.

7. brandoak

brandoak Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 1, 2015
    Here is a picture of the production version....
    [​IMG]

CarbonMicarta likes this.
  8. unwisefool

unwisefool Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Ah okay, I stand corrected