Honest opinion about a Bowie

Hello all, new member and sort of nervous to post, but I couldn't find the insight I needed off of the internet.

I'm not new to knives, I've got more than I could use in half a dozen lifetimes. But I'm in the market for a Bowie.
The problem being that I really have no use for one, and can't think of any realistic times I'd use it other than to fight off a bear or cut up potatoes, because why not.

I've tended to be brand loyal to Buck and Case because I've always had good luck with them, and most are still American made.
I thought I had it narrowed down to a Buck 124 Frontiersman or a Case Bowie, but then I saw that Buck makes a 119 in S30V. I would rather have the more classic Bowie type, but the steel in the 119 makes me question myself.
Sorry for the long post. I know $150 isn't a lot of money, but I also got married recently and can't really justify buying all three anymore. Thank you in advance!

Have you handled the Case Bowie? They aren't the best feeling knives, the handles are thick and shortish. I'd recommend a NOS Western W-49 before I'd go with the Case.

Between the Bucks, I'd go with the Frontiersman, it has a much stronger tip, and Buck does a good job with 420HC.

Copper and Clad recently came out with a 119 with a full flat grind.

For use as a general purpose camp knife, I'd rather have the full flat grind in 420HC than the hollow grind in the nicer steel.

I've never really wanted a Bowie, nor seen their appeal.... over time I found the annual best Bowie thread here on Bladeforums really caught my attention. A few custom makers here also make some amazing, mesmerizing Bowies.

This fall, this crazy, no-use-except-fighting-off-a-bear Bowie came my way...

Which just goes to show that tastes change. Go get what calls to you!!

20181201_124939~01.jpg 20181201_124958~01.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome, and never be nervous to ask us a question:) That's how we learn.

The appropriate reason for needing a Bowie is...because:D

Of what you listed, I'd go with the 119. They are a classic. But I have always wanted a Frontier as well.

The buck 119 is not only pretty, but it is also a pretty handy knife for its weight and size. The steel upgrade is most certainly an important user consideration rather than just something based upon design aspects alone.
Sometimes you just need to uncomplicate matters and take whatever that's best for the money that's available to you.
Also you probably already know that a knife is only as good as its edge holding ability, that is if your primary intention is to actually have knife usage in mind ;-)

I would look at Cold Steel for my first bowie. Pretty good knives overall.

Bark River certainly builds a nice bowie.

For me, I love big knives, but I seldom use them for anything. I try to resist the big bowie urge. Closest I have come of late is the Condor Moonshiner which is more like a Kabar Becker BK-9. The Condor Ironpath is another interesting one.

^^ Like the man Said ^^

If it is your first one and are not sure if you are going to like to use Bowies, Ontario has a couples models that are inexpensive and really tough.

My favorite is the SP5 it`s a darn fine knife, and for the price, you wont be afraid to use it. It`s not a sexy knife but with the blade coating removed and a nice patina covering it... :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

mesquitebowie1.jpg

Ya were wondering what practical purpose a bowie serves. I screwed up the grind on this one so didn't ship it out. Kept it and it makes a wonderful carving knife.

qWXNQ6B.jpg

yGCfYIv.jpg

fGGzMaA.jpg

I call it the Western Carver. Anyhoo lots of want in a bowie not so much need I think. Outside of this screwup I don't have one of my bowies. This one just shipped out though in time for Christmas. Damascus blade and sheephorn handle, sharpened clip and two sheaths (left and right hand), a frog and a saddle chinkasa.

cDrHLHn.jpg

QzUtVTL.jpg

3DgI5m3.jpg

Last edited:
Gearjammer,

Both Case and Bucks are great knives. I have the Buck 119 and its a very good med sized bowie. Initially I was interested in the 124 but when handling both, the 119 felt better to me. I found the 124 to be a bit clumsy and not a knife that felt like it was part of my hand. To be honest, I could say the same thing about the 119 but for me, it still felt better than the 124. Since you sound like this will just be a show/conversation piece, I would go with the one most appealing to you.

Back