Horseman vs Mini CQC-15 for EDC

Looking at getting my 1st Emerson for EDC. I love the looks of the Emerson knives, but many are a little large for EDC in an office setting. Thoughts on the 2 listed. Either small enough with a deep carry clip, or would I be better off going with the micro commander?

Don't know what your office is like, but when I worked, I carried a mini-15 a lot of days. My office was in a warehouse, so that might be a bit different than your office. Both the mini-8 and mini-15 are minis by Emerson's standards, but they aren't as "mini-" as some brands do. The micro-Commander or mini-CQC-7 are more like most companies idea of "mini". I actually really liked my micro-Com. But my hands are too old and stiff to be able to manipulate or hang on to knives that small anymore.

I've had both the knives you're asking about. I kept the mini-15 because it's always been a favorite for the variety of everyday duties I have. It has a strong tip, a very slight recurve to enhance slicing but not enough to make sharpening difficult, and the handle is very comfortable to me. I think of it as sort of Emerson's answer to a BM Grip or Spyderco's Para 2.

The 15 for me due to handle shape. The Horseman felt like it was slipping from my hand with the narrow butt while the 15 locks my hand in. That's totally subjective though and there are loads of people who love the Horseman handle. I wanted to be one because that blade shape is too cool.

Your best bet is to hold both and see which is right for you.

I prefer the 15, myself.

There is one in the exchange right now on Page 3, BTW.

I have had the Mini-15 and the Micro Commander. The micro was nice but just too small. It worked but I just did not feel like I had a great grip as it was not close to filling my hand. More like holding an average sized slip joint instead. The Mini 15 did fill my hand but those with large hands may find it cramped with the pommel on the end. I myself and thinking of going for a Horseman next but could be perfectly happy with the Mini 15. I wear an XL glove but am probably between a L and an XL. The Mini 15 is about the size of a CQC7 but that grip shape does confine the hand a bit (or lock it in nicely depending on hand size)

I carried a horseman for about two years straight and I live that knife. Very comfortable. As many have already said even though they say mini, it’s not really many. Another one around that size I like is the endeavor

Got mine today, 2008 model and it is far from a mini. Way more of a fit for my large/XL hands than my Mini CQC15 was. The 15 just fit and was very workable but the Horseman feel far more comfortable to me and that deep finger choice/guard just locks it right in.

You will be good to go with either knife but in the mini's I prefer the Roadhouse

In an EDC role the Horseman is very close to a PM2
I did like a lot the ergonomics on my Horseman and at one point I have hesitated between keeping it or my PM2
At the end it was a win for the PM2 but nevertheless I think the Horseman can make a great EDC

Actually thinking about the mini commander vs the mini 15. Either of those easier to sharpen than the other? Any other thoughts are welcome too.

Actually thinking about the mini commander vs the mini 15. Either of those easier to sharpen than the other? Any other thoughts are welcome too.

I've carried and used all 3 over the years (Horseman, mini-15, mini-Commander). The recurve on the mini-C is a bit more pronounced than the mini-15 recurve. The mini-15 is so slight that I can actually sharpen mine with my flat Wicked Edge stones with a slight twist of the stone. I normally use my SM for that but the WE will do the job. Not so on a mini-C, at least not for my "skills". I have to use a sharpener like the edges of a SM rod or the diamond sharpeners that Emerson sells... something that will fit in the recurved part of the blade.

I also have less use for the tip on the mini-C than I do the pointier tip on the mini-15. I've actually rolled the edge a bit on a mini-C trying to get the tip into a tight space to work. I fixed it easily enough, but my mini-15's tip would have been a better choice and still plenty strong.

The mini-15 is just a better choice for a daily carry for my cutting needs out of the 3 you've asked about

Back