How are CRKs sharpened from the factory?

OhioApexing

Sharpener
I know that CRK uses a belt sharpener considering they’re a production company, but when I get a new Inkosi or Sebenza, to what grit are they sharpened? What is the highest they use? What angle is the factory edge? Do they put a microbevel on them? If so, at what angle is that placed?

Last edited:
I don't know the specific angle ... but they are hollow grind not convex.

Not very sharp.

But they always seem consistent and evenly ground .

It feels like they finish the convex edge on a leather belt.

Not very sharp.

But they always seem consistent and evenly ground .

It feels like they finish the convex edge on a leather belt.

My experience with crks is generally they don’t come that sharp from the factory.

However convex edges seem to generally not feel as sharp against one’s finger. They can be quite sharp and still feel fairly dull against your finger.

You'd get the best answer by emailing or calling CRK directly.
I’ve called CRK with questions a number of times. The young woman who has always answered the phone when I was calling was incredibly knowledgable and provided quick, succinct but appropriately detailed answers and displayed all the technical knowledge I needed without hesitation. I don’t think I’ve encountered that anywhere else I’ve ever called with technical questions.

I have a safe queen Mammoth Ivory Seb which I just inspected under fairly high magnification. I can tell the edge has been stropped or buffed, but there are still faint grind lines showing through the polished edge. I think it is soon to receive a nice 20°/40° "V" grind. Such a beautiful knife, but the edge doesn't posses the aesthetics the knife does.

Just starting to get into sharpening a bit and am considering picking up an EdgePro.

I know that CRK uses a belt sharpener considering they’re a production company, but when I get a new Inkosi or Sebenza, to what grit are they sharpened? What is the highest they use? What angle is the factory edge? Do they put a microbevel on them? If so, at what angle is that placed?

You will like the Edge Pro. I bought my Edge Pro (Pro kit) over a dozen years ago. It is a great set up and you will be able to sharpen your knives quickly and easily.

Just starting to get into sharpening a bit and am considering picking up an EdgePro.
EdgePro I am sure is fine-never used. Wicked Edge also works great and is very easy to learn, but you can easily get away with a simple Sharpmaker and it is actually what CRK recommends. I own the WE and Sharpmaker

EdgePro I am sure is fine-never used. Wicked Edge also works great and is very easy to learn, but you can easily get away with a simple Sharpmaker and it is actually what CRK recommends. I own the WE and Sharpmaker

The SC Sharpmaker is a great system from what I’ve heard, but it seems less idiot-proof than the EP or WE. To borrow from Nick Shabazz, I’m #NotABrilliantMan.

Plus I think I’d like to tinker with some micron polishing for fun.

The SC Sharpmaker is a great system from what I’ve heard, but it seems less idiot-proof than the EP or WE. To borrow from Nick Shabazz, I’m #NotABrilliantMan.

I would never talk someone out of getting into polishing edge bevels, but in my experience the Sharpmaker is the most idiot proof system out there. Everything else increases your ability to screw up an edge. Just one man’s .02.

As I said never used the Edge Pro, but I think there may be a bit of learning curve to overcome from what I have read. WE is pretty darn easy to use. The benefits of diamond stones are also a fault. They can take away a decent amount of material fairly quickly. If it is the desired material great, but if not you can screw things up fairly quickly. The sharpmaker is slow and steady and less chance of the big mistake. Once material is gone it is gone.
Edge Pro and WE are much quicker reprofiling
I am not trying to talk you out of an Edge Pro or WE, just making sure you know the less expensive alternative that could work for you.
If you get the Edge Pro or We start on some cheap knives until you feel confident with the system.

My Lg Seb 21 I received back from the factory from a spa treatment was not very sharp. I do not think CRK sharpens them that well. I can do a much better job with my WE.

I've owned a number of CRKs and have have a few impressions. First of all the grinds have always been consistent side-to-side. The angle can differ between knives which has resulted in great results touching up on a Sharpmaker for some while others are >20dps which means the apex it not touched when sharpening. I have found that all my CRKs slice better with a ~17-18dps re-profile. I still touch-up at 20dps on a Sharpmaker for a small micro-bevel that overall results in a nice edge with the ability to do quick touch-ups when needed.

What I like about CRK is that their factory edge is well balanced and both my Umnumzaan and large 21 have very similar if not same grinds on them. However, they are not polished edges and with the help of the WE system, the edge is now polished and very sharp giving with minimal reprofiling. Diamond stones 600 to 1000 grits. Then ceramic 1200 to 1600 at 20dps. Leather strops 5/3.5µ @19dps and finishing it off with 1.0/0.5µ also @19dps. The tip is maintained and the bevel edge is polised evenly from tip to heel.

I have both an Edge Pro and a Sharpmaker.
With reference to this: https://chrisreeve.com/blogs/how-tos/how-to-sharpen-a-knife-at-home
how many of you actually roll the knife to maintain the "convex" edge?
To me, this seems a little hokey to do on a Sharpmaker. If done exactly as stated in the link above, it seems that it would
result in sharpening different portions of the edge from heel to tip, right? Or am I missing something?
As for the Edge Pro, yes, there is a slight learning curve with it. But I can get truly scary sharp edges with it. The biggest improvement I made to it was this little thing: https://www.chefknivestogo.com/5drstcowhexk.html.
It allows you to maintain a constant angle when switching stones; because some stones might be worn/thinner than others. Anyway, the hardest thing with the Edge Pro is making sure your blade doesn't get scratches from the slurry that forms on the sharpening table. Careful taping of the blade right up to the edge is necessary. YMMV.

Back