How do you like the bushingless pivot of the Inkosi vs Sebenza?

BJE

I have a 21 Bocote that I love dearly and carry daily, but I want a PJ to take over edc duties at work
(auto mechanic)
I really like the bushing pivot, it’s nice to be able to just pop the blade out for cleaning and lube and reassembly without tinkering with pivot tension to achieve no play, smooth deployment, and a centered blade.

But, I am leaning towards a PJ large Inkosi Insingo instead of a 31.

So I am curious to know if you guys find the Inkosi pivot just as satisfying as the Sebenza, or if you have to play with tension a bit to get it dialed in just right every time to disassemble?

I have multiples of both 21’s and Inkosi’s; I prefer the action on the Inkosi. Out of the box the Inkosi’s I have were definitely smoother. I don’t take either down too much but the pivot on the Inkosi isn’t hard to dial in - haven’t felt the need for locktite either and they haven’t backed out.

ETA - I find great utility in the Insingo blade, I think as an EDC it is a great choice.

Reactions: BJE
I love my LS31, but - I reach for my Inkosi much more often... its literally feels perfect, just the right amount of drag on the blade and to be cliche.. it feels "hydraulic"

In my experience the Sebenza 25 is smoother than the Sebenza 21 (I don’t own an inkosi or 31, but the S25 is basically an inkosi).

In my opinion, the 25 is smoother, not due to the pivot design, but because the lock-up/detent ball of the 25 is much larger than the tiny detent ball on the 21. Like a larger car tire or bike tire smooths out the road, this larger ball slides along the detent track without amplifying any imperfections or contamination of the track. I think that’s the difference.

However........I absolutely hate taking down my 25 in comparison to my 21s. I can clean and lube a 21 in my sleep. Greatest system ever. So, at the end of the day, as a tradesperson myself, it’s 21 for me for work, just because maintenance is so darn easy.

I like both equally but I think the Inkosi set up is the better one. It literally takes only a minute to fine tune it with no chance of wrecking a washer. The only downside is waiting 24 hrs for the locktite to dry.

I own both. The insingo is SIGNIFICANTLY heavier. The blade is more stout. It's just a smooth and not finicky to set tension like production folders.

Own 21 31 and inkosi and they all have distinct action but it’s not that different from the other. Inkosi is looser but 21 to 31 there isn’t much difference imho

I like the “adjustability” of the Inkosi’s action over the “fixed” action of the Sebenzas. My new Inkosi didn’t require a break in period since I could adjust it the way I wanted it but every new Seb I’ve owned required a break in period.

Reactions: BJE
I like both equally but I think the Inkosi set up is the better one. It literally takes only a minute to fine tune it with no chance of wrecking a washer. The only downside is waiting 24 hrs for the locktite to dry.
XL1200N here!

I own both. The insingo is SIGNIFICANTLY heavier. The blade is more stout. It's just a smooth and not finicky to set tension like production folders.
Did you mean the Inkosi is heavier? Or did you actually mean the Insingo blade shape is significantly heavier?

The Inkosis that I have had have been same level of smoothness, maybe even a little better. I've only ever taken apart one Inkosi and it did not take much to get it dialed in to my preferences. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

On a side note, I have a brand new large PJ Inkosi I will be re-posting for sale in the Exchange on 4/13. Unused, not carried, only thing is I removed the lanyard. Otherwise, just like brand new.
I will keep an eye out for that, but likely won’t have the funds available by then. Kids, a small farm, bills and home repairs eat most of my checks.

It seems fashionable to hate the 31, but I have all 3 (Inkosi, 21,31) and the 31 is best of both worlds.

First, to me, the hook for CRK is the pivot bushing. The company gets a knock for not being innovative enough, but 30 years later and other manufacturers are still trying to sort out that system.

I do find the Inkosi (and Umnumzaan) very satisfying to open and close, but I attribute it to the ceramic ball interface, not the adjustable pivot. You overcome the detent, and the next click is the blade dropping off the ceramic ball and locking in place. As nice as the 21 is, that double click when opening feels a bit strange to me as compared to 31, Inkosi, and Umnumzaan.

Again, if I could only keep one, it would be the 31, as I feel it converges the best of CRK’s innovations.

I like the Inkosi pivot system over the 21. I have several 21’s and none feel perfect by just wrenching down the pivot and forgetting it. If I’m going to have to adjust it slightly anyway, may as well not need the extra pieces that the 21 system uses.

And you don’t have to just leave the knife sit if you put some fresh loctite on the threads. I put it back in the pocket and haven’t had it budge yet. After a few applications there’s enough trapped within the threads to not need it anyway.

Pivot adjustment on most washer-based knives is a real pain in the butt. A micron this way or that and your choosing between a stifling action and blade play. I hate it.

Not so, with the Inkosi and Umnumzaan. Pivot adjustment is a piece of cake. I don’t know if it’s the big washers, the large pivot, or the pitch of the screw, but it’s easy. It makes me wonder why other makers can’t get it right.

I always use a tiny bit of low strength LocTite on the pivot. That doesn’t phase me at all, as I use LocTite on all sorts of fasteners.

ETA: I have a L21 Micarta with an action that’s amazing. I have a small Inkosi and a ‘Zaan that are even better.

I like both systems but if I was forced to chose 1, the bushing knife will be in my pocket for the sole reason that it's faster to pull the blade out and regrease.

Have both and don't think it matters much if it has a bushing or not. The Inkosi is smoother of the two.

Back