How do you like your khukuri? How is it's lockup?

For the folks that have had the Khukuri for a while, how do you like it? How would you rate the lockup of the Walker liner lock compared to the lockup of the Sage I or the Military? I love everything about the Khukuri except that the lock bar tends to slide down the ramp on the tang of the blade when a small amount of static force is applied to the spine of the blade when opened. This results in significant vertical blade play. Examining the wear on the ramp reveals that approximately only 1 square mm of contact is being made between the lock bar and the ramp. This likely results in an insufficient amount of friction between the contact surfaces to prevent the slippage from occurring.

I have contacted customer service and I have full confidence that they will take care of me. They promptly replaced my first Khukuri that had this problem; now the replacement is exhibiting symptoms of the same problem. I may just have been really unlucky and received two lemons in a row. Has anyone else experienced this with the Khukuri? My Military, Sage, and two Tenacious liner lock knives have rock solid lockup with zero vertical play.

Just curious,

Jim

I have seen this on Lone Wolf liner locks and especially on Strider frame locks. I have owned a lot of liner locks and frame locks and have never been able to figure out why this happens.

The small contact area is not the problem. I always thought that full contact on lock/tang interface was required and was corrected by STR I think ( if I'm wrong I apologize) that proper three point lockup only needs contact on outside edge of lock bar.

Hope you get it fixed.

Hmmm... Maybe your knife has an issue and should be sent back to Spyderco. My Khukuri and Barongs all have rock solid lockup, and I test my lockup with a lot more than a "small amount" of force on the blade spine. I do not do spine whacks, but I do press, with quite a bit of force, in on the back of the blade when it is locked.

My Kreined Barong has perfect lockup with no play and full engagement all the way to the left of the tang with lots of room for wear. I would send in your knife to Spyderco to get it fixed or replaced.

Mike

Thanks for the replies. I will likely be sending the khukuri to Golden for a look see.

Wally, I agree that contact with the edge of the lockbar should be sufficient. Mine, however, is making contact only at the bottom of the lockbar. It is as if the lockbar has been cut at the wrong angle.

Jim

Thanks for the replies. I will likely be sending the khukuri to Golden for a look see.

Wally, I agree that contact with the edge of the lockbar should be sufficient. Mine, however, is making contact only at the bottom of the lockbar. It is as if the lockbar has been cut at the wrong angle.

Jim

Liner locks and framelocks are designed to only have contact as you describe. You may only need to adjust the pivot and stop pin to remove the play, and if that doesn't work or you don't feel comfortable with doing that ship it off to Golden.

Mike

Back