1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you personally feel about the CRK price increases?

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by Dullknivescut, May 5, 2018.

1. Dullknivescut

Dullknivescut

Aug 10, 2016
    Been recently browsing the Sebenza 21s and noticed a rather significant price increase.

For example an inlayed Damascus large 21 used to go for 705, now they are charging 750.

I understand these blades aren’t really for people on a budget but I was honestly surprised at the lack of information I could find online..

I could only find one thread which came from bladeforums that even acknowledged the price increase with a limited amount of replies and only noticed myself by looking at my wishlist on a store page.

Does the community generally just accept these price increases no questions asked? I can’t find any announcement from CRKs themselves, it sounds to me like they just kind of snuck it in ( correct me if I’m wrong. )

2. buckeyejake

buckeyejake

Dec 28, 2013

3. Wavicle

Wavicle Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 22, 2014
    As you noted this has been discussed previously. For myself, in the time I've been collecting CRK blades there has been only one price increase, and I probably received 4 or 5 raises in my salary. Seems fair to me. They need to provide the same to their employees and to keep them motivated to continue making the highest quality knives with a lifetime warranty they stand behind. And don't forget their materials costs go up over time so they pay more for all the components used in building the products.

You get what you pay for.

4. Dullknivescut

Dullknivescut

Aug 10, 2016
    I understand, I was fairly surprised at the lack of transparency regarding specific note from CRK themselves. I have been fortunate enough to be able to purchase four CRK blades, but haven't done so in awhile. I've been looking at Mnandi's recently that all were priced the same, so when I saw my favorite 21's upped I was momentarily confused.

The only knives I use are CRK, not sure why but I am just content with the product enough that I don't have to purchase any other brands. I assumed the there would be more information but when I use different search engines all I could find was one thread with just speculation for the increase and maybe 11 responses, and I guess they have increased them in the past as well, but how this compares this time around I am unfamiliar.

Still going to be purchasing from time to time, but I'm curious if there is a certain threshold that just wouldn't be passed or that people wouldn't feel comfortable paying. It generally seems that people accept the price increases with little to no explanation required from the maker. I believe other manufacturers did also raise prices recently, but there was more notice and information ahead of time.

5. buckeyejake

buckeyejake

Dec 28, 2013
    Yea i saw that too. Its about a 6 % increase.

6. Ajack60

Ajack60 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Hell no I don’t like the price increase, but it’s kinda like everything else, when prices are increased, no one tells you until you are shopping or in the check out line. It’s a necessary evil that is inevitable.
    I haven’t read anywhere that a increase was mentioned by CRK other than seeing the jump in the stores. The collectible CRK’s are the only ones I’ve ever looked at and thought someone was out of their mind asking that much for it or thinking, I don’t want it that bad. The current line for me is priced fairly and I have no issues buying.
    I’ve got a side business and just had to raise my prices due to the gas, insurance and local tax increase on material.

7. BellaBlades

BellaBlades Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2013
    I might buy 1 Reeve every few years on average . So no it doesn't bother me at all.

If I was buying them the way people buy K Shaw's and Spydees then yeah it might add up.

If this increase is what it takes to keep the company strong and thriving like it is now.
    They have my support.

OLd_gUY likes this.
  8. blanco112

blanco112 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 1, 2016
    They discussed it in the Facebook group. In truth it was mostly Sebenza models that were significantly affected. Base mnandis are the same, Inkosis went up $5, Umnumzaan $25, slight changes in Damascus prices, but a $40 increase on large sebenzas ($25 on small). The way they explained it, a lot of it was meant to simplify pricing. Now all smalls are same price, all larges same price, etc. I'm not mad at them for increasing prices though I won't be buying as many sebenzas. The only thing that annoyed me is all the prices went up, even on last year's models and used prices went up as well with sellers saying "this costs $450 to buy it new" even when we all know they probably paid $410. But it's a free market and all.

9. Peter Hartwig

Peter Hartwig Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 29, 2008
    Consumers never like price increases, but I would vastly prefer CRK raise prices to them cheapening their products quality wise. It will really have little effect on me. The number I buy new is small. I like older knives and the exchange is the place for those.

OLd_gUY, red mag, socom1970 and 2 others like this.
  10. Bear4142

Bear4142 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 4, 2017
    I don't mind the retail prices going up but the secondary market prices are tough to swallow. Used to be able to get a barely used large 21 in the $340-$360 range and a used one with wear in $300-$320. Now the secondary market is up to the $400-$420 and $350-$380 range respectively and paying the same price for a used knife that you used to be able to buy new is very tough to look at

4mer_FMF likes this.
  11. Dullknivescut

Dullknivescut

Aug 10, 2016
    I agree 100%, if they were to slack in any department it wouldn’t be the same. My only curiosity is raising prices to keep up on quality vs increasing profits.

I know of course they aren’t a charity, but everyone seems to just assume they must do this instead of choosing to do this. I’m sure they are great people but they are still a business driven to increase profit margins. I just think people may be too quick to give them the benefit of the doubt and eventually we’ll have a large Sebenza with Damascus and non mammoth inlays running 900 dollars.

12. T. Erdelyi

T. Erdelyi Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 3, 2001
    A lot of changes small and big have occurred since Anne and Tim took over the company in the wake of Chris' illness. His ex and son are running the company differently since the takeover in an attempt to keep the company moving forward while continuing to maintain their level of QC.

I have noticed an increase in complaints regarding the build quality. The consistency seems be varied from one run to the next, I don't know if it's just a result of growing and takeover pains or is the quality really slipping? One thing for sure is that even with the change in stewardship Chris Reeves Knives are still up there and an industry leader when it comes to producing a quality knife at a premium price.

What you have to ask yourself is this. If you were to lose all your CRKs, would you still go out and buy another one as soon as you could afford it? I know I would. That to me says allot about the knife and the company. Even with the 6% price increase I'd still buy another as soon as possible.

Dr-Mabuse likes this.
  13. Peter Hartwig

Feb 29, 2008
    They may not be there every day, but they are still out there. I have sold a couple users under $300 this year.

14. NCHunter78

NCHunter78 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 14, 2016
    Any for profit business is in business to make money. Bottom line. That is their job.
    At least with CRK you get a company that makes quality items and stands behind their work. They also provide a great deal of value AFTER the initial purchase (free spa service, great warranty, etc.).

Yeah, if the prices went up every year, we would have a problem fairly quickly, but this is the first price increase in years, so I am good with it. At least with CRK I feel good about what I spend my money on. Other companies, not so much.

The price increase was not a secret. Anyone that follows them closely on social media would have known about it. They came out and talked about it, the reasons why, and gave buyers plenty of notice if you wanted to save some $$ & buy before the price increase.

OLd_gUY likes this.
  15. Peter Hartwig

Feb 29, 2008
    It's a given with enough time passing. Inflation is a bitch. Being an old dude I can attest to this and the $5000 Corvette(new).
    But back to CRK pricing-all you can do is decide if it is worth it to you or not. Certainly at this price I would be a little more picky about what I buy . I would have to like that particular knife a lot, but I am not shocked out of the market. Damascus isn't my thing, so I can't comment much on it, but since it is outsourced they may have seen a price jump from the suppliers(maybe not).
    I presume they have thought out these price increases and have their reasons. They also may be a little aggressive today, so they don't have to come right back with another increase for some time.
    Without a complete break down of their costs and profits I can't be sure where the money is going. I give them the benefit of the doubt on why(they aren't asking my opinion anyway), but I mull over all large purchase and decide if they are worth it to me. Right now there is nothing I am chewing at the bit to get new, but I have CRK's already and as I said I prefer the older stuff. They come up with something I want, I am sure the price increase will not deter me.

Last edited: May 5, 2018
    OLd_gUY and Dr-Mabuse like this.
  16. mtngunr

mtngunr

Apr 10, 2005
    Seems to me they are simply trying to boost the old Sebenza 25/new Inkosi to what was wanted a while back, a simpler Sebenza to make and sell, and when the Sebenza 21 priced out of the market, and dropped, they will be able to say it was due to low sales.

No need for all those perfectly parallel flats when the scales flex and clamp on the blade just like everyone else's, no bushings to make and fit for blade or stop to maintain those perfect flats and parallels.

As noted in a post above, it seems to be working, folk discouraged from buying a Sebenza.

Time will tell if they migrate to the Inkosi, or they migrate to someone such as Hinderer for same money.

As for being open about it, if anyone wants to say talking to a limited closed group on social media is being open about it, well, ok, sure, a regular press release, right.....most folks' first experience in this price jump news was seeing the jump, which is what started this thread, or any other. Blaming folk for not living on some intentionally small fan site group, as their fault for being ignorant, is disingenuous and dishonest. It was announced to a small group intentionally, to keep the news small. Many makers post price hikes on sites or catalogs, along with explanations.

Last edited: May 6, 2018
  17. Ironbut

Ironbut Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 1, 2016
    I have two CRKs & one or the other of them is with me every day. Neither shows signs of wearing out, so it's not like I need another one. Now if I decide I want another, I don't have a problem with a 6% price increase, because buying a new CRK isn't something I do every month, or even every year.

18. toal299

toal299 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 17, 2017
    Not sure why this increase is an issue? It seems like the last CRK price hike was many years ago? Like others have mentioned increased material costs, transportation, demand, and a vision for the future all play a part in pricing. I for one never complain when my boss comes to me every year with my raise and I doubt anyone else does either. I have a small side business and due to increased fuel prices I raised prices by about 15% and no one even flinched. CRK owes no one and explanation of why there prices are increasing. They are a private company and because of that do not answer to shareholders. Just my two cents. :)

NCHunter78 likes this.
  19. mike90240

mike90240 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Agreed!

When you get right down to it, the only fair price, is what a customer will pay. This the first price increase in a long time, will it stop me from buying another Sebenza? Unlikely. Especially if they make any Insingo in Damascus, I'm just saying...
    Or PS in Damascus. Or limited runs of Unique Damascus. Re-Issue of a Native/Reg. New Production Regular. etc etc.

Mike B

20. Ajack60

Ajack60 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 21, 2013

Can anyone say troll, because no one is this ignorant.

pwrdbycotn and Wavicle like this.