1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How rare are the CGG?

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by VernonRemington, Jul 5, 2018.

1. VernonRemington

VernonRemington Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 6, 2016
    I’m still fairly new to the CRK club, I have a plain Jane large Sebenza and Wilson Combat Umnumzaan. For my next one I’m contemplating the Join or Die CGG Sebenza or a one with Box Elder inlay.

If I pass on the Join or Die for now how hard will it be able to find later? Are these just a one year production?

I’ve been admiring some of the older CGG, which seem to be pretty rare.

Thanks.

2. brownshoe

brownshoe I support this site with my MIND

Sep 6, 2002
    I have one from ~2011. I see a sister knife on sale, same pattern, no more than once a year, but I don't go looking for it. I don't think there is a set time period for production of CGG. Sell the plain Jane and get the CGG you want; plane Janes are common...and ugly :) I skipped the plain "trap" and went straight for a colorful CGG..."don't buy no ugly knife."

3. Peter Hartwig

Peter Hartwig Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 29, 2008
    Once they are discontinued they become at least harder to find in the wild to near impossible. It all depends on how popular they are then , how many were produced(some not that many) and if people are willing to release the ones they have . They often can go up in price , just like every other discontinued CRK and being discontinued can create a certain demand on it's own. If it is something you are sure you must have, the only sure way is to buy it now-just try and get a Native American or In God We trust, Stars & Stripes, Pheasant Tail and the list goes on.

VernonRemington likes this.
  4. Ajack60

Ajack60 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Thats hard to determine. There’s still some unpopular discontinued CCG’s that are currently for sale. The popular CCG’s will pop up on the exchange at a premium price after they’re discontinued. I’ve seen the CCG diamond plate demand a premium price due to the demand for them. Some others, not so much. So it all depends on demand as Peter stated.
    Yeah, the older CCG’s are harder to come by and if you’re fast enough to snag one, budget better not be an issue. I’m not saying they bring top dollar, but I have one less kidney because of a couple I got :confused:

Get what appeals to you the most, save the others for the hunt later on. That’s where the real fun is and the habit of biting fingernails develops. ;)

5. TYPE-R

TYPE-R Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2017
    I'd say get the Join or Die CCG and wait on the Box Elder unless it's a pattern and color you must have. The patriotic CCGs are popular and will most likely be harder to find on the secondary market then an inlay would be.

6. rexromic

rexromic Gold Member Gold Member

May 28, 2011
    86D975B8-4477-4511-9F10-594B71E06AA7.jpeg My first CGG.

7. VernonRemington

VernonRemington Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 6, 2016
    Thanks gents. Join or Die is definitely on my short list, hoping a large night sky pops up soon too...

Curl of the Burl likes this.