1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

How to protect my blade's logo, year etc. from hard use wear?

Discussion in 'Emerson Knives' started by svärdman, Jul 16, 2012.

1. svärdman

svärdman

Jul 13, 2012
    Since its already showing 3 years light use, i plan to start using my mini CQC-8 for harder stuff like wood, plastic etc....things that will inevitably scratch off the logo, year, etc. on its black painted blade.
    im wondering if theres a clear-coat paint for the writing on the blade? .....maybe fingernail polish? clear tape?

I kinda wish it was laser etched...or is it?

thanks!

2. svärdman

svärdman

Jul 13, 2012
  3. cevtv

cevtv

Feb 6, 2009
    It IS laser etched.

4. svärdman

svärdman

Jul 13, 2012
    Thanks , i assumed only the naked Emerson blades were etched and the painted blade were "screen-printed"........ SO then, how to protect the etching from wearing off from hard use? Maybe i will contact Emerson.

5. DrOpPoInT1110

DrOpPoInT1110

Jan 28, 2009
    I wouldn't worry about laser etching wearing down. Unless you sand down the surface of the blade, there's nothing that will wear the metal to the point of removing etching.You can acid etch it to make the existing etch a bit deeper.

6. jwaj

jwaj

Dec 19, 2002
    Link above discusses what droppoint is talking about.

7. svärdman

svärdman

Jul 13, 2012
    Ah yes, it all makes sense now. Thanks!

8. RevDevil

RevDevil Super Evil Supermod Staff Member Super Mod

Nov 9, 2009
    The only way to preserve anything is to not use it.

9. MadMullet

MadMullet

Jun 19, 2012
    Why? You are doing the Knife and its maker justice by showing off your use. A well worn blade has a history and is a part of you in brace it.

10. svärdman

svärdman

Jul 13, 2012
    THanks for the encouragement. but at least by keeping the model, year from wearing off my offspring will be given a more detailed "history" when they inherit it.

11. RevDevil

RevDevil Super Evil Supermod Staff Member Super Mod

Nov 9, 2009
    Buy another to bequeath and continue using the one you have, or retire it. ;)