I do not get the " Food Prep" people talk about knives

Some say this knife is better for Food prep then that knife. But rarely im in my kitchen making dinner why would I pull out my EDC blade over the the chef knife in the block on my kitchen counter. It just might be me but I make and eat most of my meals in a kitchen be it may small or big, and all of us here have some kind of kitchen with kitchen knives. I just do not get well this knife is soo much better at food prep than the next. Ill put money on the fact that most of us look at these forums live in a modern life and for the most part do not make there dinner in some arcane setting with a pocket knife. Baa I'm drunk discuss

Reminded me of our Myrtle Beach trip this year..We went to Bass Pro and I picked up a Case Sod Buster...All week I tried to get my wife to use if for food prep in the condo,,it wasn't happening...But,,our first weekend out in the pop-up,, I had to use my EDC as a dinner knife.. Plastic silverware sucks at cutting steak..
CD

They just want a chance to use their EDC for everything. :p

^This. Not everybody has a job where they use a knife. Not everybody hikes. And its far from everyone that receives pckages everyday that needs opening. For some people, food preparation, is the only chance they get at using their edc knife.

Some of us don't have the luxury of prepping food in our kitchen all the time. :D

^This too. Some eat on the go. Some work outside, where there is no kitchen available. Others spent time in the great outdoors. You gotta use a knife to prep lunch or dinner.

7295666740_b6b914ea18_c.jpg

7950716622_ec25b92faf_c.jpg

Last edited:
They just want a chance to use their EDC for everything. :p
Pretty much true, although I will say during first year university my Endura was the only knife me and my roommate had. Since I couldn't really carry it it got used a lot for food prep. It did an awesome job until someone tossed it in the garbage, I found it a few days when I went to throw out the trash and it tore a hole in the bag. Still use it to this day although I will never use it for ever again :p

Hello,

I dont know what it is but for most kitchen tasks I enjoy using my edc knife. I dont cut ANY raw meat with my edc blade but I love it for all my pairing needs. Peeling potatoes, broccoli bunches, garlic, tomatoes, onions, peeling oranges and apples, or just about anything in the kitchen thats not raw meat. I normally edc 3.5" to 4.5" ffg blades so they really work well in the kitchen. I always wash my edc blade before and after I use it in the kitchen. I think its kind of a pride thing in some ways. Being able to do a lot of jobs with the same one tool kinda makes me feel good. If you can get the job done with your edc blade,with out damaging it, just as well as you can do it with a proper blade then why not use your edc? Also my edc blade is better steel and holds its edge so much better then even my higher end kitchen knives. And yes Im always looking for a reason to use my edc blade more and more. I use them every day all day, its like an old friend. For edc I currently rotate between five or six folders and of all my blades, maybe 50 or more, I know it better then all of them. Try using one blade and only blade for one week. Maybe you'll enjoy it as much as some of the rest of us do.

Have a good one,

Chris

It is all relative. Now matter how "good" your Spyderco appears to be at food prep compared to your Benchmade, they both suck a big fat hairy one compared to a real hihg quality kitchen knife. That is all.:D

It is all relative. Now matter how "good" your Spyderco appears to be at food prep compared to your Benchmade, they both suck a big fat hairy one compared to a real hihg quality kitchen knife. That is all.:D

Ha! Oh yeh, when I'm at home, I use my custom made 52100 knife. No folder comes close.

52100kitchenknife.jpg

I often will bring a grapefruit, bell pepper or cucumber to work with me in my lunch. I'll use my Opinel No.8 (for the cucumber or pepper) or CS K-4 "neck knife" (for the grapefruit) to cut it up on location.

Well, we had a team picnic at work and the only knives (including the kitchen knives people brought from home) sharp enough to do all the slicing were my Manix 2 and Caly3.5. There were onions, tomatoes, veggies for the grill, etc. and I could barely saw through them with these blunt wanna-be knives.

I gotta agree with the OP but it's that way with a lot of things we brag about our knives being able to do. How often do we need to cut small slivers of wood or paper? How often do we need to use it to chop tree limbs? How often do we use our knives when we could and probably should use other tools? For most of us, it's just the fact that we really like knives and enjoy using them for whatever may come up. It's not the fact that they are the best tool for chopping carrots. It's the fact that we are putting our knife to use and it's not just taking up space in our pocket. I've heard the same thing about watches. "Why don't you just check your cell phone for the time?"

I like using my EDCs in the kitchen periodically. This gives me a better idea how the knife handles different tasks. You never know when you may be in a situation like dsmgest and need to do some food prep.

Thank you dsmgest for showing your co workers the merits of carrying a good sharp pocket knife!

Ric

Unless I've got a knife 'on test' (which I've not done professionally for about 15 years! :D) I use my kitchen knives in the kitchen. On many occasions I've used my EDC at other people's houses where they don't have a single sharp knife, and now I often carry a Kuhn Rihon picnic knife for this purpose. Even, when I'm in the city, I use my EDC a fair bit for cutting fruit, etc.

I've definitely had to use my EDC for food before. Last month at a party they were serving various tasty pieces of meat, and they ran out of steak knives. I just pulled out my tenacious and used that instead.

Well, we had a team picnic at work and the only knives (including the kitchen knives people brought from home) sharp enough to do all the slicing were my Manix 2 and Caly3.5. There were onions, tomatoes, veggies for the grill, etc. and I could barely saw through them with these blunt wanna-be knives.

And that is why all knife lovers should have a medium DMT sharpening card in their wallet. You can fix the knives, but you also get to feel superior as all your friends watch in awe as you freehand sharpen.

A few weekends ago I was in northern MI with friends in a cottage, and one of my buddies was going to smoke 2 huge pork shoulders...but the cheap house knives were not able to trim any of the fat before throwing it on.

So I pulled out my Para2 and cleaned both of them up with ease. I never expected to have to use an EDC to cut raw meat before, but it worked well in a tight situation.

I edc'd my vic climber while on vacation and it opened up a lot of options for us food wise because I had a dedicated blade(large one on the climber) reserved for food only.

I use whatever knife I have on me to check meat on the grill all the time. At the gf's apartment though, she only has paring knives and a really old, worn-down-by-sharpening 8" chef's knife (belly is gone!). I can think of a couple EDC folders that I have (Spyderco Lum Chinese, Military, modified Keshaw Rake) that will outcut and outprep what she has available, handily.

I do agree that a kitchen knife is unmatched for handling kitchen tasks, and that's why I have a couple Shuns and a few custom kitchen knives too :)

I happen to be away from home for training for a few months. While I'm here, I'm renting a furnished apartment. Sure, It came with a block of dinky kitchen knives... but I haven't even touched them. I have been using my Becker BK-2 for all my kitchen cutting duties. Is it overkill? Yes. Does my wife think im being silly? Yes (but she isn't here). Does it make cooking a bit more fun? Absolutely.

I also have been using my Victorinox knives for opening can and beer bottles. There is a good can opener here, but when the hell else am I ever going to use my Vic's can opener?

Back