I have $100 cash, and a $50 debit card... how would YOU spend it???

I'm in a tight spot. I'm receiving a $50 visa-debit card (one-time gift card), and I have about a $100 cash. I'm thinking about investing into the new Kershaw Spec Bump (w/ S30V, and G-10) at around $115, and a Fenix L1P LED flashlight that everyone is raving about for around $45.

Other options include:
S30V Leek (est. $80)
TerraLUX TLE 5 Mini-Mag upgrade ($23)
Spyderco Renegade - discontinued and still SWEET ($65)
Spyderco Cricket - ($43)
Sypderco Sharpmaker - (est $50 or so)

Man... tight spot. What would you guys do? And remember, I won't have another opportunity ($150) like this for AWHILE!!!

Please help,
Cleary

Oh... P.S. My mom CAN'T FIND OUT EITHER... so any ideas on payment and shipping options?

Spyderco Native s30v from wal mart $39.98
spyderco cricket $43.00
spyderco sharpmaker $37.99 off ebay
two pack machined aluminum luxeon led lights from costco for $27.00 (these are the same ones you see selling for $30.00 and up each elsewhere only different color) or your mini-mag upgrade for a savings of $4.

Total for everything when you include shipping and sales tax should be around $165...you can probably come up with $15.00.

A word of advice, don't hide things from your Mom...she will find out eventually and it will haunt you for a long, long time.

"Oh... P.S. My mom CAN'T FIND OUT EITHER... so any ideas on payment and shipping options?"
Forget it.

FliGuyRyan said:
Oh... P.S. My mom CAN'T FIND OUT EITHER... so any ideas on payment and shipping options?
Yikes. Another one.
I can't speak for everyone else, but I don't feel comfortable with that, for many reasons.

The Fenix is good (small and powerful for its size).

Knife wise, the Bump, a Military, Mini-Skirmish ... The potential is endless.

Choose a knife you want from a known quality maker.

The Sharpmaker has its merits. I like the 701MF myself.

Good Luck.

Personally, for that price range I'd buy the Bark River Mountaineer with wood handles.
phpZfWyGT_550-.75x550_51384.jpg

Or keep an eagle eye on the "For Sale By Maker" section and buy something nice to look at. For instance, each of these was under $150:
Hanson2.jpg

Hansonstaghunter.jpg

Here is a custom Anza that cost under $100. That would leave you with over $50 to buy a factory knife too.
AnzaCustom.jpg

Kelgin Knives, totally custom made to your specs, begin at $150.

Or you can buy black plastic factory knives, but I wouldn't blow the whole $150 on just one. Benchmade Griptillian, $50. Spyderco-something, $50. Spyderco Sharpmaker, $50.

Just some different options for shopping. You probably want a folder that you can carry, but I wanted to show you that for $150 you could buy something truely special.

Best Wishes,
Bob

p.s. No matter how clever you think you are, you aren't going to be able to hide the knife from your mom. And what will you tell her you spent the $$ on?

Wait, WHY are you hiding this from your mom? PFC Cleary? Are you not an adult or something? I don't know many people who make E-3 at 17...

Hearing stories from the other soldiers in my Ohio National Guard unit were pretty crazy. And about the whole armor debate... I say you can only get to a certain protection/cost ratio pending on the current technology.

A fellow soldier -and good friend of mine- was telling me that the enemy began to aim for the neck, shoulders, and thigh to hit the major arteries.

With this fact known... I would concentrate on getting better weapon systems, night-vision, and tactical gear, and put us at the better advantage, that would get better faster than body armor technology would. I would say in this war of "hide-and-the-U.S.-go-seek" that it is of greater importance to equip us with better weapons (which could be vastly improved!!!) than improving a body armor that has a limited capability to protect.

What do you guys think?

PFC Cleary
196th MPAD, OHNG
U.S. ARMY

I expect young Mr. Cleary is using the elder Mr. Cleary's computer that automatically logs into the Forum. So young Mr. Cleary's age?

Or else PFC Cleary of the U.S. Army still lives with his mom.

-Bob

Check your local knife laws... don't want to get the dealer, mommy and you in trouble.

Legalities aside, I'll get the best knife for the money, as mentioned above... skirmish, military, bumps....

If you like the Leek, you may want to get ahold of the new S30V Spec bump coming out soon...I'm trying to gather enough money leftover from my big spyderco order to pick one up myself...

It's everything the G10/S30V leek is except bigger and more curvy. And I like the stud lock more than liner locks too...should be about 115.

The renegade looks pretty sweet too...you should call and ask how many that guy has....for 60 bucks....I'm really considering picking one up myself...

Hair said:
I'd get a Skirmish. Best knife for $150 and under, IMO.

i agree... also a mini skirmish would be a good choice... i was thinking a manix also but i've never had one... but i've heard goood things...

How about...

Spyderco Native with S30V blade-steel from Wal-Mart, about $40.00.
That would give you a light-weight, one-hand, pocket-clip folder with top-notch blade-steel.

And...

An Alaskan Guide Buck 110 with S30V blade-steel from Cabela's, about $70.00 shipped.
That would give you a beautiful, classic, stout camping folder with top-notch blade-steel.

And...

You could probably still aford the Sharpmaker.

Good luck,
Allen.

Bob W, I appreciate to the utmost your willingness to give away your custom knife makers secrets. Thanks... I'll look into that for the future. But for now, PFC Cleary, who still lives with his parents (trying to save money and get out of debt) will probably wait for the S30V Spec Bump, and also pick up that Spyderco Renegade. And then, the next $150 I come across will be for the Sharpmaker, and the S30V Leek...

After that, it's the Cricket and Police stainless models, a SOG Daggert 1, Camillus Maxx 5 incher stilleto, and probably mixed in there somewhere the Benchmade Morpho 32...

Hopefully, debt is paid off soon, and knives will roll in like the wind.
Thanks again guys...
Cleary

P.S. I turn 21 on February 5th, and I'm in the National Guard, so I'm not making Active Duty E-3 pay.

Hair said:
I'd get a Skirmish. Best knife for $150 and under, IMO.
I thought the Al Mar SERE 2000 is the best knife for $150 and under... ;)

I'll have to check out the evil looking Skirmish...

Definitely get the fenix. It is an awesome light.
For the money ,I think that a spydie or benchmade would be better than the kershaw though.

Gary in my last post I clearly stated that I'd be turning 21 on the 5th of February - Super Bowl. It's not the 5th of February and the Super Bowl hasn't taken place to my knowledge, so I must conclude that I am still indeed... drum roll please... TWENTY :)

Thanks guys...
I'll wait for the Kershaw S30V Spec Bump, and get the Fenix L1P light, pay by money orders, and have them shipped to my friend's house. MUAHAHAHA!!!

Buy a Sharpmaker. Save the $100 for a rainy day... you never know when your car will do something unexpected at the wrong time.

Back