1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have 2 Sebenza knives

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by okiesmokie, May 7, 2018.

1. okiesmokie

okiesmokie Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 9, 2014
    a Small Sebenza 21 Insingo and a Large Sebenza 21 Insingo that has never been sharpened. I would like to know what degree you guys sharpened your CR knives. I like 15degrees and I know that’s a waste of metal. I would like some suggestions.

2. Wavicle

Wavicle Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 22, 2014
    I’d follow the instructions Chris Reeve has on their web site:

http://chrisreeve.com/sharpening.html

3. willc

willc Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 13, 2013
    15 degrees isn’t wasting metal.
    That little angle change improves cutting performance and edge retention a good bit imo.

4. Ajack60

Ajack60 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 21, 2013
    If you use a sharpie on the edge, that will let you know the factory edge. Remember, the edges from the factory have a slight convex . So, if you're going vee grind, then you'll take off a little metal to get that edge. Nothing to worry about, but can be frustrating trying to hit the apex and not removing the convex metal.
    I've always went with the sharpie to get the factory edge, then if it needs a little more, make the change in angle. It's easier to drop the edge a degree at a time than all at once. Once you take the metal off, it can't be put back on.

BBW likes this.
  5. jfowler1

jfowler1

Apr 18, 2017
    What are you going to use to sharpen? Also, assuming a fixed angle system, do you have a device to measure the angle?

I have a large 21 and an Umnumzaan. I sharpen both on my wicked edge at the “20” setting, upper holes, horizontal position b. Specifically, I have a WE130, and I keep the micro adjustments as far wide as possible, and the angle cube actually reads 19.5 degrees per side on that “20” setting. I drop one degree per side to the “19” setting to finish with my strops.

My bevels are plenty big, and it slices quite well at 19.5 DPS measured. I’d stay on the conservative side when creating your bevel, because you can always make it steeper

BBW likes this.
  6. brownshoe

brownshoe I support this site with my MIND

Sep 6, 2002
    I do 30 degrees inclusive on the sharpmaker, with a few strops on 40 degrees to give it a microbevel. I don't have problems with chipping, rolling etc. but I use my knife as intended.

BBW likes this.
  7. VermontEdge

VermontEdge Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 10, 2015
    I’ve been using a sharpmaker on my crks for a long time but always seem to have trouble getting the factory edge to match the 20 or 15 degree setting without reprofiling. Lately I’ve just been using a stropping kit from an online vendor who ships knives for free (not sure I can say their name) and have found that freehand stropping, with either just leather and compound or leather with sandpaper on top is really effective. Just my two cents!

DRLyman and OLd_gUY like this.
  8. Ajack60

Ajack60 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 21, 2013

Here’s the list of supporters,
    https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/paid-dealer-members-list-updated-2-5-16.1089879/

VermontEdge likes this.
  9. DRLyman

DRLyman Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 25, 2016
    I like what you did there and I agree with the rest of the post :D:thumbsup:

10. PWRstroke_smoke

PWRstroke_smoke

May 26, 2013
    Yup!

DRLyman likes this.