I have a dilemma you might relate to...

I have a Grayman Satu which is my favorite folder. I also have a ZT 0350. There are times and some clothes that make it difficult to EDC the Satu because of the weight and size. Because I really like the Satu, I am considering buying a Dua, which is basically a scaled down Satu.

My dilemma is that the Dua is the same size and shape as the ZT 350 (except the blade is a bit thicker). I like the ZT 350 and don't want to sell it, but I am having a hard time justifying putting down another $275 for a knife that is the practically the same as a knife I already own.

Have you been in a similar situation? What did you do? What do you think you might do?

Would love your opinion. I am a bit conflicted.

Decided to list pros and cons to see if that helps.

Pros for buying Dua
1. I like the green G10 on Dua better than the black G10 on the ZT
2. I prefer the non assist opening of the Dua. I sometimes just sit and flick just because it feels good.
3. Just like the way it feels and looks in hand.

Cons for buying Dua
1. $275 nuff said
2. Dua is thick. I use my knife to cut fruit and veggies. Thicker knives don't cut food as well as thinner blades (like the
ZT) but still works okay. I can use my Satu well enough.
3. Just a want, not a need.

I have sold folders that are too heavy for EDC. I don't need overly-thick blades for my casual EDC. I am not in a survival situation at the moment, and don't need to chop down any trees with my knife. I do have three ZT 0350's and like 'em, but something like the 560 series would be too heavy, too large, too thick for me.
And there are lots of differing opinions, which is good for the knife-sellers.
Sonny

As you may have seen by my previous posts I am a huge Grayman fan!! I can't say enough about how good their products are! I own many Graymans including many Duas! What an amazing knife! They are weird though. They get better with time! Mine are as smooth as my Sebbies now! Love em! Go for it! ZTs are good, Graymans kick arse IMO!!! :thumbup:

If it's just a want and not a need, I'd suggest comparing the Dua and your ZT directly; which would you prefer to have if you could only have one of the two? Which would you enjoy having and using more?

I would ask myself these kinds of questions. Perhaps you need to feel one in hand? For a long time I wanted a FFG Endura to compliment my Delica, but decided against it when I got one in hand at a local store.

If it's just a want and not a need, I'd suggest comparing the Dua and your ZT directly; which would you prefer to have if you could only have one of the two? Which would you enjoy having and using more?

I would ask myself these kinds of questions. Perhaps you need to feel one in hand? For a long time I wanted a FFG Endura to compliment my Delica, but decided against it when I got one in hand at a local store.

I think the Dua would feel just like a smaller Satu. Am I right about that, if you have both?

I would like the Dua better if this is true. But the Dua is over double the price of a 350 and should feel more substantial in hand. Oddly, I think the Dua vs 350, is about the same weight and size. Not sure why if blade and grips are thicker on the Dua.

Any have any good comparison pic's between the Dua and 350 or Dua and Satu?

I think the Dua would feel just like a smaller Satu. Am I right about that, if you have both?

I would like the Dua better if this is true. But the Dua is over double the price of a 350 and should feel more substantial in hand. Oddly, I think the Dua vs 350, is about the same weight and size. Not sure why if blade and grips are thicker on the Dua.

Any have any good comparison pic's between the Dua and 350 or Dua and Satu?

I don't have any pictures comparing them as I don't own either! But I can say that while I enjoyed the Delica, the Endura felt too different. I can appreciate the design, but I just preferred the smaller scale version. Just because the overall design is essentially the same, it doesn't mean you'll like the Dua because of it.

EDIT for detail; The Endura just felt too thin for its length when compared to the Delica... not only that, it wasn't different ENOUGH of a knife for me to justify buying.

Also, through the magic of Google I bring you this picture from another forum.

Image3.jpg

Thanks Willard, good comparison picture. Funny I thought the Dua had more recurve than it does. It would be great if I could actually pick a Dua up to compare, but there is no way short of buying and returning if I don't like it. But I'm hesitant to do that. Seems wrong somehow. So I depend on the vast experience and feedback of my fellow knife junkies here.

Can't go wrong with that kind of advice! And yes, the recurve is very subtle on the Dua... I've actually never used a smaller knife with a strong recurve before.

There was a saying at a place I used to visit.

"get both" was a wise statement in this situation.

I guess the question here should be is there anyone here who would NOT buy a knife they want but don't need, even when they have another knife or two that is very similar. I kind of expected folks here to tell me it was okay to get it.

I had a Dua and really liked it. I sold it along with a few others to fund my automotive hobby but will be getting another one. It did take some reprofiling to get to my liking but I can honestly say the Dua is on my top 5 of knives I've owned or even handled.

I had the Satu and sold it, regret that today. I would say go satu and dua all day long - surely a route to happiness.

It's ironic that what makes my Satu my most favorite knife is what makes it harder to EDC. I love the size and weight of it and the way it opens and feels in hand. It does weigh my pocket down a bit, but that is a small price and it actually carries pretty well in my back pocket. I was kinda hoping that by buying a Dua, I could have the knife I love with a more manageable weight.

Appreciate your feedback. Would love to hear from someone who has or has even handled a ZT350 and a Dua to hear what they can say about comparing those two.

Back