Recommendation? I have an itch (and an incredibly vague question)

TL;DR: What's a good bang for your buck knife you'd recommend to someone for his first knife? (To be fair, I already have a leatherman that I adore and a random swiss army knife)

Many months ago I somehow caught an itch to buy a knife. I did tons of research and really looked into CRK, Spyderco, Benchmade, Kershaw, and Buck.

I started out with the logic that I would buy a handful of knives (3-5) and go from there, but some sound advice from this forum spoke to me...if I thought I'd eventually purchase high end knives, then I should just go straight there and not "waste money" on other knives.

This made sense, and I had my eyes set on a CRK. I didn't dare go into the custom and $1000+ category for my first one, so I thought I'd try out a Sebenza or Insingo.

Thankfully, I also took a different forum member's advice to hold one in my hand before making the purchase. I was completely shocked at how underwhelming it felt. Yes, it's a fantastic knife, feels great, and looks even cleaner/better in person...but something just didn't feel right...I wasn't as "wowed" by it as I thought I'd be. For all (my) intents and purposes, I did not need a fancy knife, as the most I'd do with it is open some packages.

Disappointed, I left the store and didn't think about knives for a while...and now, the itch has come back. I'm taking a slightly different approach and going to the opposite end of the spectrum. I want to scratch this itch of mine as cost effectively as possible. What (great bang for your buck) knife would you recommend?

Here's a bit of what I remember from my research last time
  • Buck 110 - I love the old school look of it, and at $35 on Amazon, the buyers remorse won't be that bad.
  • Opinel No 8 - I actually bought this knife and really liked it, but stupidly let it rust - a bit of a no no for me, as I would use it for food. If I get this again, I'd buy the stainless version rather than the Carbone.
  • CRK - not willing to spend that kind of money right now just to scratch an itch.
  • Spyderco - would you consider these value knives? Good bang for your buck? I remember liking a lot of their designs, from the Burch Chubby (again, not cheap), Delica, Paramilitary 2/3, and the little small ones like the cricket and others I can't remember.
  • Benchmade Griptilian - from all accounts a fantastic tool, but I'm a bit wary of a cheap feeling plastic handle that I so often read about
  • Kershaw leek or blur - another great bang for your buck from what I understand. Sleek designs to boot!

Live on the For Sale Folders Forum and you could snag a PM2 or Military for $100 or less. At least you used to be able to.

well, can't really go wrong with any Spyderco but to have "a taste of it" in a budget i'd recommend the Cara Cara 2, Meadowlark, Robin, or other models from their Byrd line.

also, budget or well-known Kershaws (Leek, Skyline, Chill, OSO Sweet, Cryo, Scallion, Shallot, CQC models...) are a sure bet most of the time.
I also recommend Kabar Dozier, ESEE Avispa and ESEE Zancudo, Ontario RAT I and RAT II, Ontario Utilitac, and Real Steel models for flippers

I have most of what is on your "cut" list and a few more. Personal opinion the 2 go to knives for me are the Benchmade minigrip with G10 handles (556-1 I believe) & Spyderco native 5 lt wt. The Sebenza is some what underwhelming at first blush but the more you fondle them the greater appreciation you develop over time. It's kinda the Volvo of knives not a BMW or Audi. Have fun. Like most pursuits in life the chase is infinitely more enjoyable than the capture.

Live on the For Sale Folders Forum and you could snag a PM2 or Military for $100 or less. At least you used to be able to.

There's something personal about a knife, and if I'm going the value route, I'd rather buy new :). Thanks for the recommendation though!

well, can't really go wrong with any Spyderco but to have "a taste of it" in a budget i'd recommend the Cara Cara 2, Meadowlark, Robin, or other models from their Byrd line.

also, budget or well-known Kershaws (Leek, Skyline, Chill, OSO Sweet, Cryo, Scallion, Shallot, CQC models...) are a sure bet most of the time.
I also recommend Kabar Dozier, ESEE Avispa and ESEE Zancudo, Ontario RAT I and RAT II, Ontario Utilitac, and Real Steel models for flippers

OOH! I really like the Byrd series. Thank you! I'm leaning towards Kershaw, Spyderco Byrds, or Buck 110.

I have most of what is on your "cut" list and a few more. Personal opinion the 2 go to knives for me are the Benchmade minigrip with G10 handles (556-1 I believe) & Spyderco native 5 lt wt. The Sebenza is some what underwhelming at first blush but the more you fondle them the greater appreciation you develop over time. It's kinda the Volvo of knives not a BMW or Audi. Have fun. Like most pursuits in life the chase is infinitely more enjoyable than the capture.

Yikes the Spyderco native is a beaut. This decision will be tough.

On the very inexpensive side a Dozier Folding Hunter from Kabar or Byrd Cara Cara 2 will get you a solid knife for about $20.

If you're willing to spend a bit more, a Spyderco Delica or Endura or maybe a Cold Steel Code 4 or Broken Skull (dumb name, good knife) all of which will be solid, dependable knives that, even if you decide collecting isn't for you, will serve you well as a good cutting tool.

I would say any spyderco you cant go wrong with but an Ontario Rat in d2 is a great bang for your buck knife.

I bought a mini grip a while back and didn't like the feel of the handle so I returned it and later regretted since I really liked the blade so eventually bought another one and wound up really liking it, it's taken a good amount of buying/selling multiple knives to find what I prefer, if you buy used at fair market value and don't like it you can turn around resell & break-even.

I'd scratch that itch with a middle range Spyderco such as the Native 5. More expensive with G10 handles, but I think worth it in the long run. The Native is one of my favorite folders for regular carry if I choose a modern. (I have developed into a confirmed Vic SAK guy and generally feel it is all I need day to day.) But the Native is one of my first choices if going modern. For info, I own many knives and most would work quite well for EDC use. But I can't bring myself to buy a CRK model.

The Delica is the knife I compare most folders to in terms of judging size (internet ordering). Have one Delica and it is a great economical knife and a good one to get your toes wet with the Spyderco line. Back when I bought my Delica, I was initially thinking "larger was better" and chose the Endura. (In fact purchased two different Endura models.) Carried the Endura for about a month and I often felt the thing felt like a sword in my hand. Enter the Delica. I have not been disappointed with the simple design of the Delica and the ease of carry size. The Spyderco FRN (plastic) handles work very well by the way.

I basically like the Delica size of folder...... take that as my benchmark. I also like assisted openers such as the ZT 0770CF and the Benchmade Mini-Barrage. Both of these are similar in size to the Delica. Both very good knives!

Years ago, I carried a Buck 110 clone (Schrade USA 250T. Two blade belt pouch folder.) and used the heck out of that one for years. Over time and getting more knives, the 250T became my work knife where as prior to that, it was an everything knife.... hiking, hunting, work, general use. It just became too big. Now I use a Condor Bushlore (fixed blade) as my work and hard use knife. Cheap enough that I can replace it should I mess it up beyond my ability to put an edge on it. I keep it very sharp. (Actually have two Bushlores [original and current thinner steel model] as well as the Mini-Bushlore which I find pretty usable but a little over priced in comparison to other Condor knives.

Last edited:
There's something personal about a knife, and if I'm going the value route, I'd rather buy new :). Thanks for the recommendation though!

OOH! I really like the Byrd series. Thank you! I'm leaning towards Kershaw, Spyderco Byrds, or Buck 110.

Yikes the Spyderco native is a beaut. This decision will be tough.

If you like the native you might want to take a look at the byrd raven 2. Pretty similar blade shape, back lock, g10 handle, half the price, and while the byrd's bd1 steel isn't as good as what you can get on a native it's still a step up from spyderco's normal budget steel.

On the very inexpensive side a Dozier Folding Hunter from Kabar or Byrd Cara Cara 2 will get you a solid knife for about $20.

If you're willing to spend a bit more, a Spyderco Delica or Endura or maybe a Cold Steel Code 4 or Broken Skull (dumb name, good knife) all of which will be solid, dependable knives that, even if you decide collecting isn't for you, will serve you well as a good cutting tool.

that'd be my recommendation. I was amazed by the knife you get for the $ with the Cara Cara 2

GCYsR5c.jpg

and the Broken Skull, but that's another price point

M5RFk0T.jpg

Jump off the deep end and get a Spyderco. Then get another. And another. Soon you'll look at the competition and think "What? Knives... without holes in them?"

No but honestly they're great value, all my Spydies have had amazing factory edges and overall great EDC knives. They're also just plain fun, some people are iffy on them but it seems like their designs click with you.

On the topic of high end impressions, I recent handled a Medford Praetorian. The thing was huge, heavy, and chunky monkey. I can't imagine why anyone would carry it, it's too thick to slice and too short I imagine for normal hard use tasks. But, it does have that wow factor.

Do the smart thing. Start out cheap, find out what you like. Your taste will begin to form, and you can grow from there. Or if money is no issue to you then buy whatever and sell it if you don't like it.

My standard recommendation for "inexpensive" is the Kabar Dozier Folding Hunter which runs $20-$25. I usually have a couple around for giveaways to kids who don't have a knife for woods walks. If I take a day hike with a new kid, I'll stick one of these into my daypack and often toss it to them after I get one of my knives out to do something. The other very usable knife I own is the Cold Steel Tuff Lite which runs about $30.

By the way, you really can't go wrong with a Victorinox Tinker (middle SAK size) for a regular use folder.

Buck 110 is not a bad choice given its price and history. But eventually you'll want more. Any or all of the six knives in the rest three pictures would be excellent choices.

In this picture, together with Buck 110 is a Cold Steel Recon 1 with a partially serrated blade in AUS8A steel (discontinued).
ZHoii12.jpg

The picture below shows a Reate Horizon D Ti/CF (the lock side is 3D machined titanium) and a ZT 0452CF. Both use a framelock and so do the rest of the knives below.
QeoIrHb.jpg

The third picture contains a Spyderco Titanium Military and a large Chris Reeve Sebenza 21.
XinAnZy.jpg

The final picture shows a Rick Hinderer XM-18 3.5" with a blade of Spanto grind and a ZT 0562CF.
HtxMKKW.jpg

Last edited:
Nice pictures Sharpedge. But could you edit and add the model names in order for those that don't know.

Cold steel code 4 in cts-xhp can be had for around $60 and it checked off so many of my boxes that you seem to have as well. I got the plain edge clip point. Solid and lite, it disappears in the pocket and really shows up when cutting. The only negative I had about it was how slippery the handle was especially when you're hands were even slightly moist, but I fixed that real quick with gungrip tape. All in all it seems to be right up your ally. My second recommendation would be a para2 or native in S30v. They can be found relatively cheap new and preloved, they do not disappoint.

I'm one of those people who hates the feel of plastic knife handles. The engineer part of my brain tells me they are excellent but my gut screams "cheap." I have a lovely ZDP-189 Endura that is going to get some custom scales.

When I hear "bang for your buck," I think "Ontario Carter Prime."

I don't think anyone has mentioned SOG yet. They have a bunch of nice little entry level knives. They may help you decide what you like and don't like fairly inexpensively.

I had a similar itch and looked around finally went with the Delica 4 myself and an Opinel No. 6 Carbone I also picked up some mineral oil as it is a good lube and rust inhibitor. The total cost for all that was somewhere close to $100 which is a good value and gave me 2 knives to enjoy. I get that the Byrd is a nice intro line but personally you get so much more in a full Spyderco over the Byrd I would just go with the added cost. If you want smooth one handed opening I would go with a Spyderco or Benchmade with a Compression or Axis lock and non-assisted. The primary candidates that come to mind are the Paramilitary 2/3 and the Griptlian/Mini-Griptilian depending on the size knife you want. BM has been reportedly having some QC issues so many recommend hand selecting your knife if you pickup a BM or use a vendor who will check for you, such as BladeHQ iirc, if you don't you can still work with BM CS they are generally good at resolving any issues. The world of knives is vast we could recommend a hundred different knives from $20-$200 and beyond though a Bang for the Buck I personally would stick under that $200 mark.

I don't think anyone has mentioned SOG yet. They have a bunch of nice little entry level knives. They may help you decide what you like and don't like fairly inexpensively.
The Access Card is great, used to be my budget EDC before I took the plunge into the $100+ range

Back