1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I like 'em...stabby...

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by rpn, Apr 14, 2018.

1. rpn

rpn Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 17, 2008
    From the looks of these knives I have...I'm a step away from buying at the area jails..."You know who makes the best toothbrush shanks? Joey...you need one of his for your collection."

[​IMG]

Any other fans of the shankariffic knives?

buckfynn, grownstar, ggw and 3 others like this.
  2. Pilsner

Pilsner Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 28, 2017
    What in the hell did you do with that 710?

Second thoughts, don’t tell me.

mmmotorcycle, rpn and danbot like this.
  3. rpn

Mar 17, 2008
    Lol...nothing...criminal.

Strange lighting from sunset. I took a few and the others were all red...

Pilsner likes this.
  4. NJBillK

NJBillK Custom Leather and Fixed Blade modifications. Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 27, 2014
    What alloy is it?

5. NJBillK

NJBillK Custom Leather and Fixed Blade modifications. Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 27, 2014
    How about a Liong Mah Tempest LE?
    2018-02-14 20.51.37.jpg 2018-02-14 20.53.27.jpg

HCrum87hc likes this.
  6. SpySmasher

SpySmasher Lead Guitar Platinum Member

Sep 1, 2016
    Not so impressed. No daggers?

7. rpn

Mar 17, 2008
    NJBillK likes this.
  8. NJBillK

Mar 27, 2014
    Only about 49 or 50 LEs out in the wild. They were sold in person by Liong Mah at Blade 2016, iirc.

9. rpn

Mar 17, 2008
    Have a couple but nothing I am crazy about. I keep buying daggers but end up disappointed I'm sorry to say. Thinking of trying a RMJ Raider or Mark I.

10. rpn

Mar 17, 2008
    Decided to wait it out for the Emerson Kwaiken...just got it last week and love it.

Lapedog and NJBillK like this.
  11. Rhinoknives1

Rhinoknives1 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 1, 2013
    If you want Stabby, go with Daggers. Pointy & large cross section to let blood out & air in.. what you have are really more Slicey! I like slicey & Choppy!:D

NJBillK and rpn like this.
  12. rpn

Mar 17, 2008
    Oh that Bandicoot, Operator, Kwaiken, Gentleman Jim are all staborific! But I hear you...a few of those do also slice and slash like hell too.

One of my favorite descriptions I read was about the Bandicoot...part knife, prybar and ice-pick!

Part of my dagger disappointment is they my Ek and CRKT is that they feel more...strictly linear.

13. McFeeli

McFeeli

Feb 13, 2017
    The swedge on the primary blade makes it one helluva piercer.

[​IMG]

I tend to prefer thicker tips, though. Where I can stab through an aluminum can and not have to worry about tip damage(I don't do it that often.. ) haha.

4mer_FMF and rpn like this.
  14. Lapedog

Lapedog Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2016
    This collection needs a ZT 452 in the mix.

@McFeeli me too. I don’t really pry with my tips but I like them to be thick. If I can’t pry a pop can tab up with the tip I am wary of it.

15. Rhinoknives1

Rhinoknives1 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 1, 2013
    To me, pretty much all daggers are a disappointment for any slicer work, They have a Cool:cool: factor on my M1 etc.. other than that,, Ive never had to stab any people And I hope to avoid ito_O:confused::)

rpn and danbot like this.
  16. AF

AF Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 14, 2000
    Check out:
    Cold Steel Ti Lite
    Cold Steel Hold Out
    CRKT Hissatsu
    CRKT Heiho
    CRKT Otinashi Noh Ken
    CRKT Shizuka Noh Ken
    Steel Will Intrigue

17. G. Scott H.

G. Scott H. Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2006
    Have you tried the Cold Steel Tai Pan?

katanas and Man with no name like this.
  18. Lapedog

Lapedog Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2016
    Boo’s Blade Smoke has a profile I believe the OP would like. Though it is only 3.5 inches I believe.
    [​IMG]

Also I’ve been very impressed with with this Boker kwaiken fixed blade. Quite inexpensive. 14c28n steel
    [​IMG]

grownstar and rpn like this.
  19. Gaston444

Gaston444

Oct 1, 2014
    Daggers need either to be a hollow grind, combined with a professional edge regrind, Like the above mentioned Cold steel Taipan, or they need to be zero-edged like some of the old Gerber Guardian IIs nearly are. Sharpness is essential to cutting outward in fighting...

A great choice would be the Randall Model 2-8 in stainless, as it has all the proper features a dagger should have: Thin slicy edge, despite the narrow blade profile, length, and the light weight of a stick tang.

An even slicier Randall is the Clinton dagger, which is almost like two very slicy 7" knives welded spine to spine... It felt strange to me however, as I just feel daggers should be narrow bladed: Perhaps with a smaller guard I would have liked it better... A broad blade width always felt wrong to me on a dagger: They can be made slicy without width, but it requires either a thin initial edge (which you can then easily touch up), or a very wide professionally applied bevel...: Never try to do the broad bevel by hand yourself!: This is beyond normal hand sharpening, especially doing it evenly four times...

The great advantage of daggers is they are ground four ways, which, combined with a stick tang, makes them the lightest of all fixed blade for a given stock: Typically 20-30% less than a single edge fixed blade. Don't choose a model that ruins this with a full tang, or large, heavy metal guards and pommels...: Kraton or Zytel wrapped around a narrow stick tang is optimal (and usually old and rare now, unfortunately). Slicy and narrow daggers are hard to get there, but it is possible.

Gaston

20. Velitrius

Velitrius

Mar 3, 2000
    Cold Steel Ti Lite is as stabby as I got.

I find it pretty much useless. But I find it pretty much cool.

danbot and AF like this.