I need help with a vintage trick knife

not2sharp

Platinum Member
IMG_0125.JPG Senility is setting in.

I found this vintage knife in my collection and can't remember how to close it. It is an old Japanese made Frost cutlery lock back folder with a hidden lock release. Any ideas?

n2s

Attachments

• IMG_0126.JPG
    IMG_0126.JPG
    158.8 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_0124.JPG
    IMG_0124.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 115
Are you sure it isn't a slipjoint? :D

(Sorry, I couldn't help myself. I'll show myself out ... :p)

Does one of the bolsters slides to the side or are me of the slabs move? Just a thought.

Are you sure it isn't a slipjoint? :D

(Sorry, I couldn't help myself. I'll show myself out ... :p)

Definitely a lock back with a nice vault like lock-up and zero blade play. IIRC the front bolster releases the blade, and I believe it would be the pile side bolster. But neither side wants to move for me.:confused:

n2s

Last edited:
Could it be a matter of moving both bolsters against each other, kinda like the old CRKT Fulcrum?

Have you tried pulling out the back end (ie. where the lanyard hole would be) straight back?

Are you sure it isn't a fixed blade knife? :p

(Again, sorry. I'll have my wife slap me upside my skull.)

It was a folding knife, but if I can't figure this out, I may as well call it a fixed blade and get a sheath. :}

n2s

You might want to try soaking it and some kind of penetrating oil or solution. A few years ago I came on too an old knife collection and there was just enough corrosion from the different metals of the bolster to steel connect that a few of the older folders were frozen shut. Almost felt welded.

Cleaned them out with brake cleaner, put the bolster/pivot/blade end into some penetrating oil for a couple of weeks and they were stiff, but opened. Easy to work on the moving parts after that.

Robert

Found it!!!!

The trick is to push upwards (towards the blade spine) on the front bottom corner of the pile side bolster. It was a little stiff but it finally released.

Thanks for the help.

N2s

Back