I want a Griptilian BUT ...

Okay, so first of all, I'm a newbie here. Thanks for your patience.

I played with a Griptilian for all of about 10 seconds this week and it fit my hand like a dream. I LOVE the Axis lock. But I hate the cheap handle material and the reviews of blade play once it breaks in.

My question is: Is there another knife with the Axis lock (or a similar lock) that is better? I love the ergos of the Griptilian. Does anyone recommend the Barrage or another Benchmade? Or would someone recommend something other than a Benchmade?

FYI, I'm not looking for tactical or bushcraft or anything like that. I need a work horse for the day-to-day around the house (not at the office, I just got a Sage 1 for that).

PART 2: My alternative is to get a Spydie PM2. I'm not trying to make it a contest between those two knives as I've read the PM2 has already won. I'll probably just get a PM2 anyhow. But is the Griptilian a compliment to the PM2, or does the PM2 clearly trump the Griptilian in most ways? Is there any point in owning both (other than collecting)?

Thanks!
JW

Last edited:
There are a lot of aftermarket scales for the griptillian.. you might want to look at a ritter grip.

But honestly, 80-99% of spyderco and benchmade knives are a joy to handle and use.

Track down an REI Grip.. g10 on it is excellent.

Spend a little extra and get the benchmade grizzly creek, axis lock, s30v, and nice wood handles...

I use an S30V PM2 and an M390 Ritter Grip as my primary outdoors/camping/field knives. I will use one for a couple of days, then switch to the other and think "oh yeah, I forgot this knife was so great..." and then repeat a few days later.
I don't mind the Grip scales, I bought and then sold some swimming pool G11 Wilkins grips because they didn't add that much to my experience, and they were more expensive than I was willing to keep for no added benefit.
The M390 definitely trumps S30V though. Even as a beginning sharpener, I find M390 superior in every way.

I've heard good things about the Ritter. And that Grizzly Creek looks great. I'll look more into both options.

Thanks, guys!

Go get a REI Griptilian or a PM2.

Both very good knives. In all honesty, you'll probably end up getting both. Just take the money you're going to spend on both of those knives and get a nice Sebenza on the exchange.

Go get a REI Griptilian or a PM2.

Both very good knives. In all honesty, you'll probably end up getting both. Just take the money you're going to spend on both of those knives and get a nice Sebenza on the exchange.

I'm not mature enough yet for a sebenza :) My buddy has two CRKs and relegated his PM2 to his bug-out bag. He obviously knows something that I can't quite appreciate yet.

Last edited:
Benchmade's quality control has suffered in the last few years, and their prices went up a lot. The full size Griptilian used to be around $70. I recommend Spyderco's Para-military 2 and Manix 2. Both are G10, the PM2 lighter and narrower with a very pointy tip. They manix 2 Caged Ball Bearing lock has a similar style lock as an axis, though it is stronger and stiffer, taking some breaking in. Unlike the Axis, it doesn't rely on tiny little springs for the lock.

Reactions: vba
H&K Axis is g10 with D2 blade. Great alternative.

I've been wanting to try one. Is it as good as it looks on paper? Heard the pocket clip sucks but is interchangeable with benchmades

Benchmade's quality control has suffered in the last few years, and their prices went up a lot. The full size Griptilian used to be around $70. I recommend Spyderco's Para-military 2 and Manix 2. Both are G10, the PM2 lighter and narrower with a very pointy tip. They manix 2 Caged Ball Bearing lock has a similar style lock as an axis, though it is stronger and stiffer, taking some breaking in. Unlike the Axis, it doesn't rely on tiny little springs for the lock.

Except there is small springs in the manix lock but unlike the axis they don't break. It's a different type of spring though.

All the above knives mentioned are great. I even choose my PM2 and my Grip over my Sebenza 25 sometimes

That HK looks like a great option for the money. I'll look into the Manix 2 also. I'm not experienced enough to know the real differences in the steels; only what I've read. But isn't the D2 hard to sharpen? And isn't the BD-1 a lesser steal for a knife at the Manix 2's price point?

I have a Grip in my pocket right now. Its a $100 knife (that I think is about $20 overpriced) that makes a great user. A little adjustment of pivot screw will help. Mine has no blade play, but still opens easily. The handles have never been an issue for me. I actually find them pretty comfortable and grippy.

The 154cm blade takes a great edge and holds it well while still being fairly easy to sharpen on my stones at home. Its a great little knife, and while I am fond of the Spyderco the PM2 it is in a different class than the Grip. I find the Grip to be in the same class as the Delica and Endura and in my opinion should sell for the same price and not $20 more.

The Spyderco is a great knife but for just a daily carry pocket knife its not going to do anything that the Grip won't do. I consider the Grip to be a semi disposable knife, meaning I carry it instead of more expensive knives in case I lose it around town. I have lost quite a few clipped knives over the years.

With the choices you are considering you are not going to make a bad no decision no matter what you pick. Good luck and enjoy.

Why not the Doug Ritter RSK MK1 with M390 steel from knifeworks !

that's a mouthful, I'm looking into that particular one right now. :)

HK 14715 is great but I had to modify the handle with dremel/belt grinder/files to my liking ergonomically. The D2 is not hard to sharpen. It is a bit bigger than the grip but has full liners and bigger pivot, for about $100. I have tge same hate for the grip scales & replacements are pricey, eventually I will just make some for my M4 grip but it's a PITA without a mill . . .

I would second, or third... fourth....etc. The Ritter RSK1 or 2. I have an old oval hole full size grip that I have had for a long time. Use it daily at work. Has 440C steel. I consider it semi-disposable too. If something were to happen to it I would put the Ritter into play. It is an S30V one. I like them enough that I bought a large and small M390 version to have if something were to happen to the S30V one. I think the blade material and shape is an ideal do nearly everything knife for daily use.

Tim

IMG_20150617_203854493_zpsucg11gth.jpg

IMG_20150617_203811407_zpsd35ffkfn.jpg

I would check out the 710 and 940 if you want something a little nicer then the Griptilian. They are more expensive but you are getting nicer handle materials and blade steels. That being said I think Spyderco and ZT are a better value then Benchmade these days.

... And isn't the BD-1 a lesser steal for a knife at the Manix 2's price point?

It's actually almost identical to the Chinese stainless 9cr16mov, (very slightly lower levels of carbon, chromium, molybednum, and no nickel), which isn't a "bad" steel by any stretch, but certainly no supersteel either.

Whatever slight lack that may exist from the very slight lower levels of carbon and alloying elements (which again, are very small differences) would be made up for by BD1 being a purer alloy and a more consistently manufactured and evenly distributed alloy due to the vacuum process used to create it.
(9cr16mov would theoretically be more prone to impurities, as well as inconsistencies both from batch to batch and also within the steel matrix itself)

0.95 vs 0.90%carbon
16.00 vs. 15.75% chromium
0.5 vs. 0.3% molybednum
0.3 vs. 0.6% maganese
0.1 vs. 0.0% nickle
0.5 vs. 0.37% silicon
0.02 vs. 0.0% phosphorous
Both have 0.1% vanadium

So as you can see, there is a slight difference, but they are very similar alloys.

I checked out the HK Axis on my lunch break. Seemed pretty solid but didn't like it in my hand next to the Griptilian. I may go for the Ritter RSK Mk1 or I may just skip ahead to a PM2. Thanks, guys!

Back