If you had to buy dinner and a knife for 30$

If you had to buy dinner for yourself (from anywhere, must buy) what would you buy with 30$ and use the remaining amount of money to buy a knife that you must use exclusively for 1 month? I would buy a victorinox one handed sentinel after buying a Spicy chicken sandwich combo from wendy's.

2 mcdoubles, 1 mcchicken and, large orange soda, and a kershaw skyline from wally world.
Or go to a steak house, buy a 30 dollar steak and keep the knife.

Mr. Armadillo, you have a very twisted mind. I greatly admire that.

I'll go with 3 White Castles, plus 1 jalapeno cheeseburger, onion rings and a large diet coke. Chase that with a Kershaw Volt 2. That would make for a good day.

Here in the UK, that would be about 20 pounds, so I guess it would be a Doner Kebab in Naan (fast food here sucks, but the indian/pakistani food is good and almost as quick/cheap), and a Mora Companion/Robust.

I'd hunt around online (even if I had to snipe an ebay auction) and find a NOS or very gently used vintage Boker Tree Brand 492, 493 or 494 Barlow jackknife like the sheepsfoot model I have displayed. Most of the ones available with the Delrin handles were made in the 1970s, are carbon steel with brass pins and liners, and lock up like a bear trap. A nice vintage knife to have (and use) that you can usually get with shipping for under $30 if you're careful.

Until you know how much of that $30 will be left for the meal, plan on Ramen. You'll most likely do better than that, but even if you don't, the Tree Brand jack is worth it. In my youth, particularly while in school and having to buy textbooks, I lived on Ramen for days/weeks at a time.:)

Last edited:
Prime Rib sandwich, mozzerella cheese fries (called Dave Fries) and a Coke from GrandPa's Steakhouse in Kearney, NE and a Vic Classic

2 mcdoubles, 1 mcchicken and, large orange soda, and a kershaw skyline from wally world.
Or go to a steak house, buy a 30 dollar steak and keep the knife.

Last I checked, the price of the Skyline went up to around $40 or so... And I can't find them at Walmart anymore :grumpy:

I'd get a $25 round table pizza, than order 150 bad @$$ knives from cutlery corner for the one day only price of $5.

theres a family owned steakhouse here in town that serves a 12oz sirloin, big baked potato, texas toast and a salad on thursday nite for right at $10.
that, plus two Budweisers would cost me $15 (we didnt say anything about tipping lol) so id have enough left over for a Mora.

Original Black Knife from McDonalds with a Bran Muffin and a Coffee.

That leaves $28 and change for some Beck's at the beer store.

Buck 110 at Walmart $27; Dbl Cheeseburger, Fries, Coke from McDonalds Dollar Menu $3 -- Total $30

Opinel #6 in Carbon~ $8

Pizzano's Pizza (local pizzeria) Meat Lovers w/ jalapenos, red bell peppers, anchovies and smoked salmon.

Navy K631 and General Tso's Chicken combination w/ fried rice and an egg roll with a soda.

Ontario Rat1

Whatever I can buy off a dollar menu at mcdonald's for $5 that sounds good.

I'll grab a mora and a go to Taco's Omana and grab 5 fish tacos and this taco, forgot what its called, but it uses meat from the face of a cow--its good, and doesn't look all nasty as some might suspect

Back