I'm a cheap machete slut....Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope this thread does not get derailed like the last one.

I received my 5 pack for $25 machete lot. 4 of the 5 are styles I don't currently have, very happy with the selection. Spent the evening putting edges on them and sanding and contouring the handles. The panga and tapanga's will get a workout at my property.

I received in this lot two identical Agama 202 tapanga style, 1 Enduro No 844-16 barang style, 1 Corneta panga style No 8-20 that has an amazing factory patina finish and 1 Ramada traditional profile. The Ramada is the cheapest of the bunch (14" and very light and thin blade), the others are gems.

Some pics of the re-profiled handles

A half dozen Imacasa's that ranged from $4-6.50 each, $31 for the lot of them. Great blades!

Last edited:
I really like how they left the scale on that corneta panga.
I don't like this handle shape ( changed it on my imi/ marbles machetes ) but that's just me.

The handles on the Corneta and the Agama's are very fat and thick, I had to thin them out and bring them flush with the metal tangs, they feel really nice now.

Where did you order these? Those are pretty good prices.

Where did you order these? Those are pretty good prices.

The 5 pack was from [removed], they have two lots one with larger machetes, they are all Columbian manufacture. They have a less expensive 5 pack for $18, the blades in that lot are smaller but it seems to be fairly random on what you get in either lot. I usually wait until they offer free shipping with no minimum like they did on black friday week.

Last edited by a moderator:
You lucked out in getting a good collection of useful styles. Very nice. I think you are the one who made me buy a butt-load of Imacasa machetes not long ago. Maybe even the Tramontinas that were on close-out.

I did just get a few Incolmas like the panga (but shiny) and regular latin-pattern. Not such a good deal, but I like the thickness/weight. Gotta love garden tools.

Here are a few favored Thai knives I've acquired. Prices ranged from free to $5.

thai-machetes-small-jpg.463501

thai-machetes-small-2-jpg.463502

thai-machetes-3-small-jpg.463503

Just hit the handles with some stain and poly.

Looks nice! Did you flush the scales with the tang before staining, though? A couple of them look like the wood is still proud of the tang, though maybe that's just the lighting.:thumbsup:

Yes, wood is all flushed up with the tangs. In the past, I've also filled that gap with epoxy when I didn't want to reduce the size of the grip.

Nice job buying some cheap machetes and reworking them a bit. :D

What are you planning to use them all for? I couldn't bear the thought of those just sitting there an looking pretty. A machete begs to get dirty.....

I have 40 acres that needs trimming, 7 acres of that is a pond.

Sweet, you are a fortunate dude having that much acreage to work with! :thumbsup: When you start doing some serious week whackin' and brush clearin', if you have time and not too much hassle, snap a pic of that and the machete you used. Don't know why, I love seeing pics of knives with dirt on them and being used, rather than all polished purty and sitting in a lighted display case. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back