I'm a cheap machete slut

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have about a dozen South American machetes from Gavilan sugar cane, Tramontina and Imacasas not to mention a couple good old Ontarios and a few craptastic chinese ones picked up along the way for about $3 each. But I got sucked in again on an assorted 5 pack from SG especially with the free shipping no minimum for black friday. At $5 each, you just can't go wrong and my inner machete slut came out and forced me to hit the checkout button.

I'm glad that at least a machete addiction is a cheap one, most of them average at under $5 each.

Last edited:
I have about a dozen South American machetes from Gavilan sugar cane, Tramontina and Imacasas not to mention a couple good old Ontarios and a few craptastic chinese ones picked up along the way for about $3 each. But I got suckered in again on an assorted 5 pack from SG especially with the free shipping no minimum for black friday. At $5 each, you just can't go wrong and my inner machete slut came out and forced me to hit the checkout button.

I'm glad that at least a machete addiction is a cheap one, most of them average at under $5 each.
PICS!!!

I would rather spend the princely sum of $15 to get one good Tram machete as opposed to spending $15 to get 3 crappy machetes.

But hey. To each his own. :thumbsup: Enjoy.

And that may have been a "deal spot" depending on who "SG" is. o_O

I would rather spend the princely sum of $15 to get one good Tram machete as opposed to spending $15 to get 3 crappy machetes.

But hey. To each his own. :thumbsup: Enjoy.

And that may have been a "deal spot" depending on who "SG" is. o_O

There is no deal spotting, I didn't post link and was told that word descriptions were NOT deal spotting, but thanks for your concern. When did you as a basic member get promoted to honorary moderator?

And the 5 "crappy" machetes are all South American, ie Columbian (gavilans, Mitco etc). :rolleyes:

If you have a machete fetish, it's hard to resist what you consider a bargain, especially if you routinely use them. Since discovering Condor, I have been a confirmed Condor machete guy even though they cost a lot more. The least expensive one was a poly handled El Salvador (18" latin) that I got at Blade at the Condor booth on closeout for $20 (including the leather sheath) two years ago. Didn't need it and haven't used it, so I understand the attraction of buying more than you might need to use. I'm pretty stocked up on machete type blades these days and honestly don't need another. I would like to own the Swamp Master (16") but I didn't like the price at the time. I find that to be a very useful shape. Save that for another day.

The store that I often buy at is discontinuing the Condors and going with Marbles. So, I suspect an orange Marble's machete is in my future when I get the urge.

If you have a machete fetish, it's hard to resist what you consider a bargain, especially if you routinely use them. Since discovering Condor, I have been a confirmed Condor machete guy even though they cost a lot more. The least expensive one was a poly handled El Salvador (18" latin) that I got at Blade at the Condor booth on closeout for $20 (including the leather sheath) two years ago. Didn't need it and haven't used it, so I understand the attraction of buying more than you might need to use. I'm pretty stocked up on machete type blades these days and honestly don't need another. I would like to own the Swamp Master (16") but I didn't like the price at the time. I find that to be a very useful shape. Save that for another day.

The store that I often buy at is discontinuing the Condors and going with Marbles. So, I suspect an orange Marble's machete is in my future when I get the urge.

I understand but that Condor machete that is $20 is really just a pretty'd up Imacasa (El Salvador) that I bought for $4 and did some sharpening to. I bought 6 of the poly handle Imacasa's from a "Bud" for $31 delivered which included two 12", two 18" and two 22".

That Condor was normally about $50 or so. Like I said, I understand your reasoning but that has not been my machete history. Not going to put down your choices. I do like Imacasa's machetes. I have one that is 22" (I believe) and have never used it. Just too long to carry for the most part unless you are doing some serious brush wacking.

That Condor was normally about $50 or so. Like I said, I understand your reasoning but that has not been my machete history. Not going to put down your choices. I do like Imacasa's machetes. I have one that is 22" (I believe) and have never used it. Just too long to carry for the most part unless you are doing some serious brush wacking.

The extra $44 was for the leather sheath I guess. None of these come with sheaths, so that is most of the cost difference. The steel is the same, not trying to break your bubble, but it's the truth. I don't need them in sheaths because I beat the hell out of them at my BOL.

Last edited:
No bubble to break. We've discussed this before. The sheaths are worth something and I have been willing to pay for the Condor's. I might add that the Condor's are getting what I consider to be expensive... price keeps going up year after year and I'm to the point of questioning whether to buy another except maybe the Swamp Master. You see, I can use the Condor sheaths for other machetes that fit.

What's a BOL?

Last edited:
Bug out land, my 40 acres of heaven

No question the sheath is worth something, even a nylon or canvas sheath is going to run $8-10. The tool itself is the same.

There is no deal spotting, I didn't post link and was told that word descriptions were NOT deal spotting, but thanks for your concern. When did you as a basic member get promoted to honorary moderator?

And the 5 "crappy" machetes are all South American, ie Columbian (gavilans, Mitco etc). :rolleyes:

Sorry I tried to give you a heads up against potential trouble. I will make sure not to next time. :thumbsup:

So I guess I'm not following, if they are not "crappy" how do you get, as you say, "suckered" by making the purchase?

Sorry I tried to give you a heads up against potential trouble. I will make sure not to next time. :thumbsup:

So I guess I'm not following, if they are not "crappy" how do you get, as you say, "suckered" by making the purchase?

Rule #8 Deal Spotting

"A dealer who does not have a paid subscription is not allowed to advertise in any way, shape, or form. In the past, dealers have used 'shill' accounts to promote themselves & their products; as a result we've limited all dealer advertising to The Exchange or registered Dealers with active paid subscriptions."

I am not a dealer in any way, shape or form, and I did not put in any links, thanks for your concern. If a mod chooses to decide otherwise, that's up to them I guess, it is their website. But I can't see how I've broken any deal spotting rule.

"Suckered" was tongue in cheek, maybe should have said "sucked in" as I couldn't help myself pass up such a good deal that I have been eyeing for a while especially with the free shipping no minimum required.

"Suckered" was tongue in cheek, maybe should have said "sucked in" as I couldn't help myself pass up such a good deal that I have been eyeing for a while especially with the free shipping no minimum required.

Well, that certainly is different, if you feel you are getting your money's worth from them, great. As I said before, enjoy.

And, of course it is the mod's decision if telling us what black Friday deals nonsupporting sites are offering constitutes a deal spot.

I have an old 22" Gavilán that I've beaten the hell out of and its still in perfect working order. Twice a year I have to go on a briar bush killing spree around the yard so when I'm mowing the border between the woods and my yard I won't get sliced up by the damned things. That old Gavilán is weapon of choice. Those South Americans know how to make one helluva mean machete.

There are worse things in this materialistic society to get "suckered in" with than some inexpensive machetes that you apparently use on your 40 acres. I say... have at it and have fun!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back