1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Inexpensive Slipjoints

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Im_your_huckleberry, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Im_your_huckleberry

Im_your_huckleberry Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 14, 2014
    I'm looking for some brands that make inexpensive slipjoints. I know of Rough Rider, but I'm just wondering if there is anymore out there. I'm looking to stay in that Rough Rider price range of $15 to $30. Thanks!

2. JPD1998

JPD1998 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 18, 2004
    IMO the Marbles and Colt branded slipjoints are a little nicer than Rough Rider.
    And they're in your price range.

Im_your_huckleberry likes this.
  3. Im_your_huckleberry

Nov 14, 2014
    I'll look into those. Thanks!

4. JD Mandrell

JD Mandrell Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 20, 2001
    Elk Ridge
    Steel Warrior
    Schrade (The Asian Imports)
    Winchester

5. bflying

bflying Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 4, 2014
    I really liked the Colt labels that were made by Rough Rider. And have many of both. But the name/logo license got pulled not too long ago. I'm sure there are still many around, but no longer in production.

There is also Frost (and so many sub brands made by them). But the samples I have are just a wee bit "rougher" than the many dozens of Rough Rider and Colts that I have and/or gifted away. Could just be my own impression.

6. McFeeli

McFeeli

Feb 13, 2017
    I think there are a few Bucks that fall into that price range.

7. Im_your_huckleberry

Nov 14, 2014
    Thanks for the suggestions! I'll be checking these out.

8. Henry Beige

Henry Beige Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 1, 2015
    Marble’s does a repro of the Camillus demo knife that is at least as good as the original. I also really like Marble’s take on the TL-29 electrician’s knife, with orange G10 scales.

9. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    If you want a relatively good slip joint, I would stay away from any of the brands that Frost Cutlery has made and distributes. They use lots of different brand names. They are consistently a cut below Rough Ryder. The Colt brand (same company as RR) are pretty much the same as Rough Ryder unless their is a pattern you prefer over what is available in the Rough Ryder line. Don't know anything about Marbles slip joints.

If I want inexpensive, I go Rough Ryder always.

bflying and Im_your_huckleberry like this.
  10. eveled

eveled Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 11, 2016
    +1 on the Buck slip joints. The Chinese Bucks I have are nicer than the rough riders have.

11. DB_Cruiser

DB_Cruiser

Jul 17, 2018
    Aitor made some slip joints. I have a Pequeya and a Mediana. Leaf shaped carbon steel blades with stainless liners and Bubinga scales made in Spain. Prices were on par with Opinel. I haven't seen them available here in the states for a while, though.

12. Pomsbz

Pomsbz

Jul 31, 2015
    Victorinox. You can get a heck of a lot of knife in that price bracket.

James Y and Im_your_huckleberry like this.
  13. Im_your_huckleberry

Nov 14, 2014
    Anyone have any experience with Kissing Crane slipjoints?

14. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    I agree and carry a Vic SAK every day. I believe mine cost $20.

Buck was mentioned above. Somehow, Buck slip joints are mostly off my radar. I only own last year's traditional forum's knife that was made by Buck as far as a regular slip joint goes. Have a Buck 192 fixed blade and a couple 110's. Don't use the 110's as I think they are too heavy.

15. Velitrius

Velitrius Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 3, 2000
    I seek out used stuff from Schrade USA and Camillus USA.

The Traditionals section of the Exchange is a great place to shop for bargains on good stuff.

16. golden_dragon

golden_dragon Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 14, 2016
    have you try the CRKT one? with G10 handle

17. Im_your_huckleberry

Nov 14, 2014
    I haven't, are you talking about the Deco I think it's called?

18. NicoColt1911

NicoColt1911

Mar 17, 2017
    Cognet Douk-Douks can be that cheap. They are great knives. Super sharp when factory new and they hold the edge very well for a knife in that price category. I heard some people even pinch the scales with a stone when they need a fixed blade...

19. specgrade

specgrade Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Imperial aren't bad at all. $11.00 for a large Stockman from SMKW.

20. specgrade

specgrade Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Kissing Crane are pretty good. Some have said that the blades can be hard to get out. I'm guessing stiff springs, but hey, it beats weak ones. The ones that I have owned were fine and dandy!