Inkosi Insingo opinions

Murphjd25

Gold Member
Im ready to get a large Inkosi Insingo, but I am not sure if I should get a plain Jane or one with micarta inlays. Are the inlays really that nice and worth the extra money? This will also be a user like my Sebenza 21.

I’m almost certainly in the minority here, but I personally prefer plain titanium handles to inlays. I’ve had a couple and just prefer crks without them. I find them a little slimmer and I think that they pick up character and scratches better without inlays (which I like). I’ve also never felt that an inlay, Micarta or otherwise, really improved my grip for what I use my knives for. This is, of course, just my two cents!

Thanks for your opinion. I really do like just the plain Jane look, and am 50/50 on the inlays..

My first CRK was a large pj insingo... and I didn't care for the way it felt in hand. At the recommendation of people here, I bought a large micarta insingo... and found it to be better (for me).
The difference in the inkosi handle might be enough to make it okay; but I was given the opportunity to handle a micarta 25 and I liked the feel of that better than the 21...so, personally, if I ever go for an inkosi, it will have micarta (or be WC!)

The Inlays do add a different feel to the knife ... it's not enough to change how good the grip is IMHO ...

The plain jane slabs are pretty comfortable again IMHO ...

The Micarta Inlays can also he sent in for a Spa treatment or I believe they still can be ... but I can't say other than aesthetics I don't personally find a big benefit to the Inlays ... so unless you prefer the look I'd go with the Plain Jane.

I prefer the plain on the Inkosi. The inserts look a lot better on the Sebenza.

Plain Jane. So nice. So much character from use.

I like the inlays. Can’t go wrong with either. I have PJ on my small Inkosi which keeps it lighter and the micarta on my large Inkosi. Micarta gives it a little extra in looks imo and also comes with the silver thumb studs which I like better. If u go micarta then the decision on which micarta! Decisions decisions. Good luck with your pick.

I think I’m going to go with a PJ for now, it’s just simple and elegant I believe. I might wait to get a fancy inlay Sebenza later down the road. Thanks for all your opinions guys.

I've had both and prefer the Micarta inlay, personally. There's nothing wrong with a PJ, but once I got my first with inlays, I was hooked.

That being said, my next one will likely be a PJ since my current Inkosi has micarta inlays, and I do kinda like the look of the plain titanium scales.

No wrong answer to this question.
There is a beauty in the plain jane....
If you put down one with inlays (on a flat hard surface) it is more quiet...

Get what you prefer in looks. No matter your choice it'll be "worth it". If you get the pj simply because its cheaper but you like the looks of inlays well then your gonna be more money behind because you'll end up selling the pj to get the inlays later on. Ask me how I know? ;) Also the weight difference is nil but I do quite prefer the micarta in hand and it does take on a great patina as well because it absorbs all that gritty palm sweat. I keep mine rubbed with a little bees wax for protection against drying out too. Good luck on you choice. Inkosi is the best knife ever made IMO. I don't care what those Sebenza boys say! :cool:
20180517_080617.jpg

20180517_080629.jpg

I have a plain one because that's what I wanted, but I think the black micarta looks better. The micarta probably has a slightly different feel, too. The plain jane will serve you well, but if there's even the slightest possibility that you'll second guess your decision later, then you may as well get the one with micarta inlays right off the bat.

I’m picking up my Inkosi Insingo PJ on Saturday. I’ll wait to get a nice inlay model with a Damascus blade sometime down the road :). Thanks for all your help.

I have a large with inlays and while I do like the knife I may get a plain Jane. I had a 25 with micarta at some point and sold it. I guess I prefer micarta in smalls vs larges.

I’m picking up my Inkosi Insingo PJ on Saturday. I’ll wait to get a nice inlay model with a Damascus blade sometime down the road :). Thanks for all your help.
Awesome! My new small micarta inkosingo will be here Sat. As well. Enjoy!

Picked up my Inkosi Insingo a day early! This thing is nice! It definitely has a different feeling then the Sebenza. The pivot bushing in the Sebenza is amazing, I will have to get use to this one and give it some breaking in. I don’t think I’m going to touch the pivot, I’m happy with how it is from the factory. And now a couple pictures!

2F642737-D938-421A-8957-17EB2004BCEA.jpeg 6EC1757D-8E63-4DF8-A20E-0644FCB751B0.jpeg

Back